• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America 100: Grade? What would a Press Knock Out?

22 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was thinking  the same....hopefully a press could make it higher....??

I don't think it would do much good on the front....maybe it would secure a 5.0.

Edited by Patriot6

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

+1. A press isn't going to do squat. With all that wear, color loss and big color breaking creases I think anything above a 4.0 is optimistic.

Agreed, there is nothing a press will buy you here.  I know the pressure of the scanner lid is holding things together but it may have already been pressed by the looks of the staples.  To me the book likes like a 4.5.

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

+1. A press isn't going to do squat. With all that wear, color loss and big color breaking creases I think anything above a 4.0 is optimistic.

Appreciate the honesty, thought the press would clear up the back :) but I can save some money on pressing then...

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Agreed, there is nothing a press will buy you here.  I know the pressure of the scanner lid is holding things together but it may have already been pressed by the looks of the staples.  To me the book likes like a 4.5.

If it has already been pressed then I'm up a creek. ha. I way overpayed if it is a 4.5 and 4.0 is breaking my heart :blush:

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Appreciate the honesty, thought the press would clear up the back :) but I can save some money on pressing then...

If it has already been pressed then I'm up a creek. ha. I way overpayed if it is a 4.5 and 4.0 is breaking my heart :blush:

If you took a picture of the book lying on a table it would be easier to tell.  Even if it had been pressed books have memory so sometimes they unwind some of the effects of the pressing.  The reason why I thought so was because of the slight staple pulls on the back cover.  But lets say that it hasn't been pressed, there still isn't much that can be fixed by a pressing.  Pressing can fix problems such as bends to covers and pages, corner blunting (to an extent), spine roll, but not any of the color breaking creases, wear, loss of gloss and tanning.  

Edited by comicquant

5 minutes ago, comicquant said:

If you took a picture of the book lying on a table it would be easier to tell.  Even if it had been pressed books have memory so sometimes they unwind some of the effects of the pressing.  The reason why I thought so was because of the slight staple pulls on the back cover.  But lets say that it hasn't been pressed, there still isn't much that can be fixed by a pressing.  Pressing can fix problems such as bends to covers and pages, corner blunting (to an extent), spine roll, but not any of the color breaking creases, wear, loss of gloss and tanning.  

I pulled it out to look at it and I think that your right because some of the bends on the back cover look mushed if that makes sense.

Like in the scan the back cover looks as though if you pulled it off the scanner that back cover would "bend", but it doesn't it lies flat with no inclanation of bending over, plus where the bend is there is little specks of break in color. As if there was a bend and it had been pressed to lie flat, sigh, just didn't want to take time to take pics to keep away further damage.....

This will be going in for grading with no press, so thanks to all for there advice and info :martini:

I'll post when I get it back......

In GPanalysis a 4.0 has brought $170 bucks as has a 4.5 in recent sales. A 5.0 has brought $200-215. I don't know what the shipping will run you or the CGC cost and return shipping but it eats up a lot of potential profit given all the barnacles that will attach to the hull of the sale of the book. . The book has a lot of color breaks that are really long on both the front and the back. The staples didn't really center well and that exacerbates the problems it has. You can see how the cover on the back doesn't seat well on the pages.  It appears there are a few small tears on the back  off of the spine. As was stated by comicquant, laying it flat would help evaluate it better.  I certainly would not press it. The census suggests there are about 300 books in this range of condition and over 2,300 total unretored which in my mind is a lot of books.  If it's for your private collection, I wouldn't slab it. If you're trying to prep for selling I can understand doing it.  I'm wrestling with a lot of books where they aren't premium but the values do add up so I'm sympathetic to the circumstances. 

I would give it a 4.0

It's definitely for the personal collection at the moment, I'm debating getting it signed as it is a low to mid grade copy. But that too is basically for my personal collection :) in the future though who knows (thumbsu 

It was basically a impulse purchase supporting LCS, so I don't mind getting it slabbed to test the LCS grading etc. plus the only other SA that I had was lower grade FF 48, 49 ,50 so I'm happy with the purchase.

On March 7, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Pontoon said:

+1

I'm thinkng about trading this Cap 100 for a nice RAW New Mutants 98.......any thoughts? if I do my apologies to anyone who was wanting to see this Cap 100 grade.

I really do appreciate what this forum brings out, and in this case it may serve me better to trade :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM