• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What about the other top SA books?
1 1

100 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2017 at 11:41 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

It seems like 2017 so far is another good year for AF15.....but what about the other key SA books they seem to have slowed down. Opinions welcomed!!

Slowed down? Those comics are all still every bit as good as they were in 2016, or 1963 for that matter.

(thumbsu

Yeah, I don't think that's the case.   Recently Roy posted a nice Hulk 1 at a stronger price.  He said it sold (not sure what he sold it for), but I wouldn't be shocked if he got his ask on it.  It was, IMO, a good buy at his ask price.  

3 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

For someone who says he loves comics, it seems like you are always worrying about values and prices and not so much about the love of the hobby. If they aren't increasing fast enough for you, sell them all and only buy AFs

No....I was just curious I like my other key books I own and I have no intentions of selling them. I would not be happy just owning AF15's (I love the Hulk, The X-Men, Green Lantern and so on to much to do that).

Edited by SupergirlDC19591
Error

35 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

How is AF doing compared to high grade baseball cards? I saw a beautiful Mantle on HA today and I know you know baseball cards.

The 1952 Topps Mantle is doing well still in PSA 7 and higher not as much in PSA 5 and lower (PSA 6 seems to be more stable).  To be honest his 1951 Bowman has much more room to grow plus it is his true rookie card (I would say it still has between 200% & 300% to go in each grade....the 1952 in PSA 7 and higher maybe has 50% to 75% still in potential growth).  Mickey is not my favorite player I much prefer Willie Mays during that time period and Hank Aaron. In the early days of baseball Ty Cobb would be my choice (don't get me wrong Babe Ruth is a close second) with Pitcher Christy Mathewson.....as for the 19th century Cap Anson would be my favorite (1st player to ever hit 3000 hits). And the only player I like a lot after the 1960's is Pete Rose the hit king with 4256 hits (Ty Cobb is the only other player to ever get over 4000 hits in MLB). Now I just listen to baseball because I enjoy the sport a lot....but I have no favorite player (s) or team (s). Don't get me wrong Nolan Ryan was one heck of a pitcher and many other great players played the game but after Pete Rose none of them are even close to what he was as a player. I also like Connie Mack, Willie Keller, Cy Young, Frank Baker, Mordecai Brown, Tris Speaker, Branch Rickey, Honus Wagner and so on from the early 20th century (my favorite period in baseball history). I would also add Roberto Clemente from the mid 1950's to his death (he hit exactly 3000 hits) as been a great all around player. 

As for the Negro Leagues 2 names stand out Satchel Page (maybe the greatest pitcher of all-time) and Josh Gibson (hit more home runs than Babe Ruth with over 800).

Text

This Pete Rose video always makes me sad....I hate to see him reduced to this (I know he bet on baseball as a coach but not a s a player)....the guy is a living legend he should be around the game in my opinion. He is the Babe Ruth of modern day baseball!! People will regret him not been in baseball after he retired once he passes away....there will never be anyone who will beat his record for hits.....not going to happen!!

Text

16 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

This Pete Rose video always makes me sad....I hate to see him reduced to this (I know he bet on baseball as a coach but not a s a player)....the guy is a living legend he should be around the game in my opinion. He is the Babe Ruth of modern day baseball!! People will regret him not been in baseball after he retired once he passes away....there will never be anyone who will beat his record for hits.....not going to happen!!

I always wondered, though, I did not see it clarified...not that I looked hard....but I think it's relevant. Did he ever bet against his own team? That of course implies throwing, which I would not believe of him, unless told otherwise. If he only bet on his own team, who gives a rat's ? Don't race horse owners bet on their own horse? I think juiced balls and steroided freaks did a lot more to ruin the game for me (not to mention a strike that gave us a year without a World Series. That opened my eyes. I cannot unsee. I was done.)

6 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I always wondered, though, I did not see it clarified...not that I looked hard....but I think it's relevant. Did he ever bet against his own team? That of course implies throwing, which I would not believe of him, unless told otherwise. If he only bet on his own team, who gives a rat's ? Don't race horse owners bet on their own horse? I think juiced balls and steroided freaks did a lot more to ruin the game for me (not to mention a strike that gave us a year without a World Series. That opened my eyes. I cannot unsee. I was done.)

He only ever bet as a coach and only for his team to win a game never the opposite. He never placed a bet as a player.....never.