• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What about the other top SA books?
1 1

100 posts in this topic

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

Sad what happened to Mantle. I will have to check out that book The Lost Son. (thumbsu

Ironically, it was a play that involved DiMaggio and Mays!

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Now if we can somehow add rock n roll into the mix! lol

Speaking of Rock n Roll, it will soon be 40 years to the day that we lost the one and only King.

On 3/10/2017 at 11:02 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Great player for sure but I don't believe he was better than Cobb with his .366 or .367 life time average + almost 900 stolen bases + almost 4200 hits + 12 AL batting titles + AL homerun leader 1909 triple crown winner + 1911 AL MVP. What hurts Cobb in any way is having not won a World Series ring.

Ruth has a .342 life time average + 714 homeruns + 2873 hits + 12 time all time AL home run leader + 7 world series rings.

C - Johnny Bench   Hon Mention to Yogi

1b Lou Gehrig   hon mention to Jimmy Foxx

2b Rogers Hornsby  2 MVP's, 2 TRIPLE CROWNS, only player with 40 HR's and a .400 season together, 2d best career av behind Cobb.

ss  Honus Wagner  For a big 'ol dutchman he could really fly -  Hon mention to Arod (one of my best friends "Mr Baseball" concedes He's the best ever)

3b  Mike Schmidt   prodigious  power and a dozen plus golden gloves

LF Ted Williams  He missed virtually 5 full seasons fighting for his country - pro rating his stats over those PRIME years, would make this a no-brainer

CF Willy Mays hon Mention to Dimaggio, Cobb, Speaker, Mantle, Griffey...

RHP  Walter Johnson

LHP  Lefty Grove  hon mention to Sandy

R  Mariano   Who else?

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

C.   Johnny Bench

1b.   Lou Gehrig 

2b.  Joe Morgan

SS. Derek Jeter

3b.  Pete Rose

Lf   Ted Williams

Cf Mickey Mantle

Rf Babe Ruth

DH David Ortiz

SP Pedro Martinez

RP Mariano Rivera

:gossip:

We have to have a balance of modern age and golden age players. Can't be all baseball players that played from 1920s to 1950s.

Very solid list although I would swap out Rose for Schmidt and Jeter for A-Rod. When he got traded to NY, he was the better shortstop at the time. He would have been the best ever at SS if he would have remained at that position.

3 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

It's that time of year!

Yep I get it it's baseball season.  I love talking about sports too but it should be in a separate thread with the proper title and should not deviate away from the original post, just my opinion.  Anyways, carry on.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:41 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

It seems like 2017 so far is another good year for AF15.....but what about the other key SA books they seem to have slowed down. Opinions welcomed!!

Trying to get this back on topic. How about Silver Surfer #1 and FF # 48?

On 3/12/2017 at 3:15 PM, burntboy said:

C - Johnny Bench   Hon Mention to Yogi

1b Lou Gehrig   hon mention to Jimmy Foxx

2b Rogers Hornsby  2 MVP's, 2 TRIPLE CROWNS, only player with 40 HR's and a .400 season together, 2d best career av behind Cobb.

ss  Honus Wagner  For a big 'ol dutchman he could really fly -  Hon mention to Arod (one of my best friends "Mr Baseball" concedes He's the best ever)

3b  Mike Schmidt   prodigious  power and a dozen plus golden gloves

LF Ted Williams  He missed virtually 5 full seasons fighting for his country - pro rating his stats over those PRIME years, would make this a no-brainer

CF Willy Mays hon Mention to Dimaggio, Cobb, Speaker, Mantle, Griffey...

RHP  Walter Johnson

LHP  Lefty Grove  hon mention to Sandy

R  Mariano   Who else?

Who's in Right? 

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Trying to get this back on topic. How about Silver Surfer #1 and FF # 48?

FF 48, ASM 15 seem to be hot. SS 1 is cold. All are great books!

16 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Who's in Right? 

Dang, I left off the greatest baseball player of all - Babe Ruth.   Would make it just on his massive offensive stats, but in a Pinch he could be a true starting pitcher... 

1 hour ago, burntboy said:

Dang, I left off the greatest baseball player of all - Babe Ruth.   Would make it just on his massive offensive stats, but in a Pinch he could be a true starting pitcher... 

I like Hornsby at second- it was a tough call for me to make between him, Eddie Collins, and Lajoie. Really can't go wrong with any of them in the lineup. 

On 3/9/2017 at 0:56 PM, JAM_NYC said:

Who knew the baseball discussion in the silver age comics forum would be better than the baseball thread in the WC? 

+1

You guys definitely need to change the title on this thread here.  lol

BTW:  Bobby Orr is the greatest of all time for hockey since he completely revolutionized and changed the way the game was played from the back end.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine