• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Knights vs. Marvel Universe Mainstays

11 posts in this topic

Aside from the [#@$%!!!] it seems Hudlin may be producing in MK Spiderman for the next year, I have to say that (IMO) the Marvel Knights 4 and Spidey titles have been much better than the regular mainstay ASM and FF titles, in terms of storylines.

Any thoughts?

I don't read MK 4, but religously follow MK Spiderman, and do not read any other Spiderman titles. I have noticed the lack of controversy compared to much of the Marvel Mainstays, I suppose that is a good thing. MK is not exactly pushing the envelope, but they aren't disappointing fans either.

I think the quality of the writing in Amazing is better than Millar's Spidey. Its just that JMS' stories, lately, have been controversial to say the least.

I think the beginning of the Waid/Ringo pairing was downright classic, but it really trailed off at the end. The Galactus storyline was garbage. 4, on the other hand, has been excellent from 1 - current.

If I had to pick two, it'd be Amazing and 4.

Worth mentioning, Nightcrawler is a good little series. Same writer as 4, worth picking up.

And on the other side of the coin we'll be seeing the excellent series Supreme Power go from the MAX line down to the watered down Knights line with issue 18 in order to increase "accessibility". Another title I'll be dropping.

I won't drop it just cause there aren't any boobs or cuss words. It'll still be a great book, same writer, same artist, less boobs.

I don't really care one way or the other about boobs and cuss words, but think about the last story arc and how it would have looked under the MK imprint with the level of violence there was. It would have been lame. Now it's just going to be another stupid superhero book with nothing unique about it. The entire tone of the book will be different.

Marvel Knights 4 has been a great read from issue one, and the art has been a step above too. thumbsup2.gif

I don't really read any Spidey titles: most are lame, and I tire of his schtick easily... confused-smiley-013.gif

Marvel Knights 4 has been a great read from issue one, and the art has been a step above too. thumbsup2.gif

I agree. The newest issue has Doom on the cover. headbang.gif well, FF is going to get McKone from Teen Titans so hopefully, Fantastic Four will get better art.

I agree. The newest issue has Doom on the cover. headbang.gif well, FF is going to get McKone from Teen Titans so hopefully, Fantastic Four will get better art.

I do agree. I was thinking of giving up MK 4, but that Doom poster cover that Torch is ripping down may keep me going for years to come. I've been trying to get into the regular FF series. Started at 500 and have read pretty much everything to the current arc. I really liked the work Porter did during his 6-book run. I do like Waid as well, but alas he is leaving. I didn't mind the GAlactus story much, I thought it was decent.

As for Spidey. I absolutely loved Millar's story on MK Spidey, as well as the Dodson's art. I thought it was superb. It had been probably my favorite overall book up until New Avengers. But I'm having a hard time with Hudlin and don't know if I can take another 11 issues of him. But I'm gonna try to stick it out I think. ASM is a question mark. It's ASM for crying out loud. Sometimes you just have to put up with it because it's such a flagship title. But I have been reading USM too, so that makes 3 Spidey books all with non-related stories. And I do figure that ASM is going to correlate with New Avengers quite a bit, so maybe it's not worth it anymore confused-smiley-013.gif