• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

The problem with that is (and I've been on both sides of the problem, buyer or seller) is how long do you pend? I've had people think about stuff for days and I've held things, then they don't answer, or found something else...or just change their minds...I also don't post an :takeit:, if someone has posted a hm but there have been many times I've wanted to, AND times that the book went to someone else because I had to leave while the person was thinking...or I finally gave up and went to sleep. I even hesitate to post a "PM sent" in many cases, because I don't want to hold up the seller if someone Else is ready to buy.

Perhaps a 15 minute pending Gremlin would work, however, I think we are making things a little too complicated...but that's just my opinion. I've spent too many hours in women's dressing rooms waiting for someone to decide which ONE of the twelve dresses they grabbed off the sales rack they were going to take;)

Not that I don't understand Roy's disappointment, I do...but my sympathies were mostly with Dave in this transaction. He is with out a doubt one of THE NICEST people I've ever dealt with and I can see what a difficult position he was in. Sorry, Dave :foryou:

I don't know the transaction in question here, but I agree and I'm not going to sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for someone to respond to a PM if someone else is interested in a book. If there's no communication from the interested party, I move on...it's a judgement call, and the seller has to use their own judgement when selling their own books. For myself, if you PM'ed me about a book I had asking for time payments, more details, scans, etc.,. and someone else hit the :takeit: while we were discussing the book, you would get 1st rights of refusal and I would politely PM the seller letting them know what was going on. (thumbs u

I don't know the transaction in question here, but I agree and I'm not going to sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for someone to respond to a PM if someone else is interested in a book. If there's no communication from the interested party, I move on...it's a judgement call, and the seller has to use their own judgement when selling their own books. For myself, if you PM'ed me about a book I had asking for time payments, more details, scans, etc.,. and someone else hit the :takeit: while we were discussing the book, you would get 1st rights of refusal and I would politely PM the seller letting them know what was going on. (thumbs u

Actually Dr. Banner, my reason for bringing this up in the Gen. Discussion thread is not about a specific transaction (although it was motivated by one). We see these problems crop up, and it seems like there is one half of the group here that believes there are some "unwritten rules/guidelines" while another group is operating off of a slightly different set of guidelines. My thought was that it would probably help all parties who are involved in the sellers' thread to get this out in the open, and figure out what's the best policy to use OR to consider not having an unspoken set of rules regarding :takeit: graemlins.

Looks like there was some good stuff going on since I went to bed. :)

Well, after I went back and checked...it's pretty clear which transaction this was about. hm

Anyway, the best policy to use is to leave it up to the seller as to how to conduct their personal business.

Well, after I went back and checked...it's pretty clear which transaction this was about. hm

Anyway, the best policy to use is to leave it up to the seller as to how to conduct their personal business.

Mike,

what is this all in reference to?

Arex

Mike,

what is this all in reference to?

Arex

doh! see the thread about a certain former Silver herald of Galactus who was also a Surfer :whistle:

Before I write this I am going to say that I have no problem with David or Andrew (seller and buyer). I am 100% cool with both of them via pm and in public threads.

Tire kicking is one thing. I was having supper and wanted the book and this is the problem with the :takeit: rulz the day mind set.

If you are in a store and pick up an item you are free to ask questions about it until you buy it or put it down. In a "virtual store" on the internet we have the ability to stretch time. Time is not measured by a clock but by posts. We can reach the other side of the world in seconds. On the other hand, because posts are timed we can also stretch time out based on who did what first. We can slow the transaction down and get it done right.

That is why I allow pms and give them precedence if they are timed ahead of a thread post. It is only fair so that both the buyer and seller both have piece of mind in a transaction.

I always thought that this place was about providing a comfort level unavailable elsewhere.

Otherwise the buyer is forced to buy something without making an informed decision.

I can go to Ebay for that if that is what i wanted.

So I don't think it's a "you snooze, you loze" scenario. It's a respect thing.

In any case I am not going to get up in arms about it with you guys. Majority rules but I will always conduct my sales thread acc to my beliefs to make it truly fair for everyone.

R.

Couldn't agree more Roy! (thumbs u

Both buyers and sellers have rights, and frankly, I consider the policy of "A :takeit: in the thread trumps any PM's" to be a strong-armed tactic by sellers to force the hand of buyers. If I'm interested in a book but want to know the PQ, want a back cover scan, want to know if I can take 2 weeks to pay, etc.,. I would really appreciate the common courtesy of a seller responding to my inquiry before selling the book. Otherwise, a buyer feels pressured into pulling the trigger without knowing the details of what is being offered, essentially giving away their rights.

Personally, I give right-of-1st-refusal to anyone that PM's me with interest about a book, and if someone posts the :takeit: in the thread I PM them and let them know the book is "pending".

Ultimately though, it's up to the seller to decide how they want to conduct their business. (thumbs u

I generally agree - but I find most PMs are just looking for a price break, which is fine - I do the same thing - and in those cases would give a straight up :takeit: precedence. If a buyer is seriously interested in purchasing at the asking price, but wants to know page quality, see a back cover scan, or something along those lines before pulling the trigger then an " :takeit: pending PM " response is a legitimate post.

Through bitter experience, I have reached the point where I let :takeit: rule.

This is what I state in any of my sales threads...

'As usual :takeit: trumps all. PMs can be sent my way, and I’ll answer them as soon as I can, but until you post that little man in the thread, the books aren’t yours.'

There are a few reasons for this. One, it makes it very clear who won what and there is no room for argument. Early days and I had a couple of sales that had to be thrashed out as to who won what. It wasn't pleasant and there is bound to be an aggrieved party. :(

Two, I simply don't have the time to exchange numerous PMs with a couple of parties, explaining why I've sold it to one boarder and not another.

Three, I've been led down the garden path on countless occasions with boarders sending offers, asking questions, double-checking shipping, requesting additional scans. They have every right to do so, and I will answer their queries. (thumbs u However, given the number who thank me for my time, but decide against the purchase, and the number who never even have the courtesy to tell me they are no longer interested, I'm ed if I'm going to take the book(s) off market until they've reached a decision.

If you're interested in some stuff, and you tell me you are, but you want to see scans, work a discount...fine. I'll work with you. But please don't get upset if someone else is willing to buy 'as is' and posts the :takeit:

Quite frankly, having a very black and white rule in place is about the only way I could handle it. :insane:

If you're interested in some stuff, and you tell me you are, but you want to see scans, work a discount...fine. I'll work with you.

You work discounts? doh!

:kidaround:

'As usual :takeit: trumps all. PMs can be sent my way, and I’ll answer them as soon as I can, but until you post that little man in the thread, the books aren’t yours.'

There are a few reasons for this. One, it makes it very clear who won what and there is no room for argument. Early days and I had a couple of sales that had to be thrashed out as to who won what. It wasn't pleasant and there is bound to be an aggrieved party. :(

Two, I simply don't have the time to exchange numerous PMs with a couple of parties, explaining why I've sold it to one boarder and not another.

Three, I've been led down the garden path on countless occasions with boarders sending offers, asking questions, double-checking shipping, requesting additional scans. They have every right to do so, and I will answer their queries. (thumbs u However, given the number who thank me for my time, but decide against the purchase, and the number who never even have the courtesy to tell me they are no longer interested, I'm ed if I'm going to take the book(s) off market until they've reached a decision.

If you're interested in some stuff, and you tell me you are, but you want to see scans, work a discount...fine. I'll work with you. But please don't get upset if someone else is willing to buy 'as is' and posts the :takeit:

Quite frankly, having a very black and white rule in place is about the only way I could handle it. :insane:

Excellent. I would have used a few more swear words, though. angry-smiley-8020.gif

Excellent. I would have used a few more swear words, though. angry-smiley-8020.gif

It's the new, kinder, gentler FT...you :censored: :censored: :censored:

It's the new, kinder, gentler FT...you :censored: :censored: :censored:

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:applause:

I have to agree with Mike here.

Mike - I remember that time I was tire-kicking a TTA of yours via PM - I wanted a BC scan or something. Meanwhile FT came through and did the :takeit: on that book plus multiple others. Even though you gave me right of first refusal on that book, it made more sense to me to relinquish my claim, since FT was buying a bunch of other books, and if I kept my claim, it would mean you having to send a package to me with one book in it.

I applaud your business sense - it definitely makes me a loyal repeat customer. And, as far as myself goes, others can judge whether I'm just a sap for "losing" the book on purpose, or whether I did the right thing in relation to the other two parties involved. I have to admit, it was easy to give the book up to FT, as he is another stand-up guy, of who I am also a loyal repeat customer.

Mike