• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Why am I seeing so many people quote GPA when selling raw books these days? A raw book versus CGC book are two different apples.

I agree, but don't ask, as it gets these guys in a hissy fit, like you're saying they can't grade or something. meh

My problem with it is, if I pay GPA prices for raw based on some "big player's" grading, and have to sell for an emergency, I'd need to spend the $$$ and wait the time to send it to CGC, or take a big loss.

Why am I seeing so many people quote GPA when selling raw books these days? A raw book versus CGC book are two different apples.

I agree, but don't ask, as it gets these guys in a hissy fit, like you're saying they can't grade or something. meh

My problem with it is, if I pay GPA prices for raw based on some "big player's" grading, and have to sell for an emergency, I'd need to spend the $$$ and wait the time to send it to CGC, or take a big loss.

Well it works both ways, Vince. There are tons of buyers out there who don't want to pay a premium for slabbed books, period. One, because they're cheap, two, because they're lazy, and three, because they either can't grade or are not confident enough in their grading to take the risk of buying and slabbing their own books. Everybody wants something for nothing. :makepoint:

Well it works both ways, Vince. There are tons of buyers out there who don't want to pay a premium for slabbed books, period. One, because they're cheap, two, because they're lazy, and three, because they either can't grade or are not confident enough in their grading to take the risk of buying and slabbing their own books. Everybody wants something for nothing. :makepoint:

What a pompous @ss - some of us just like raw books - not because we have an inherent character flaw - we just like our books raw.

What a pompous @ss - some of us just like raw books - not because we have an inherent character flaw - we just like our books raw.

Once again Mike, you missed my point entirely and chose to lash out for no reason and no basis. If you knew anything about me at all you'd know that I prefer raw books. I was responding to JC's hypothetical. I don't have a gripe with you - so move along and pizz on someone else. :foryou:

Well it works both ways, Vince. There are tons of buyers out there who don't want to pay a premium for slabbed books, period.

I'm not sure if you understand, but GPA only tracks prices on CGC COMICS.

It doesn't have a raw index, so the "it works both ways" statement is totally incorrect in this case, as GPA only works ONE WAY.

I like raw books :cloud9: Give me a nice raw book that presents well in a mylar with some MC paper and I'm good to go! :thumbsup:

Yep, me too (thumbs u

Lizard's got a self-image problem :insane:

So are you cheap, lazy or cheap and lazy? By the way, what happened to *you are ignoring this user* - oops - did we forget the fourth type? hm

Well it works both ways, Vince. There are tons of buyers out there who don't want to pay a premium for slabbed books, period.

I'm not sure if you understand, but GPA only tracks prices on CGC COMICS.

It doesn't have a raw index, so the "it works both ways" statement is totally incorrect in this case, as GPA only works ONE WAY.

I've been a GPA subscriber for over 3 years Vince, I understand what it is and what the numbers mean. The fact is, it's a valuable metric of what a book is worth, be it slabbed or otherwise. Those of us who buy and sell HG books don't expect to pay OS Guide for a raw book that actually grades 9.4 or better. If we know the seller is capable of grading correctly, then the only accurate reference of true value are the GPA numbers, whether the book is slabbed or not.

The "works both ways" statement was in reference to reluctance of buyers to accept that HG books whether slabbed or not, generally sell for above-guide prices, not in refernce to what GPA is or what it means. :foryou:

I like raw books :cloud9: Give me a nice raw book that presents well in a mylar with some MC paper and I'm good to go! :thumbsup:

Yep, me too (thumbs u

Lizard's got a self-image problem :insane:

So are you cheap, lazy or cheap and lazy? By the way, what happened to *you are ignoring this user* - oops - did we forget the fourth type? hm

As they say, if the shoe fits, wear it. You should try reading and thinking at the same time - you might get somewhere then. :grin:

OK, if you make an enquiry about a specific book(s) listed in somebody's sales thread...you want a shipping quote, you need a back cover scan, you'd like to know if my cat has ever :censored: on the centrefold...please have the good manners, once you have received a response, to let me know whether you're still interested or not.

I don't need to know whether you think the shipping is too high, or how your uncle has fallen into bad health, or whether you've spunked your coin on something else. I just need to know whether you're going to go for it, or whether I can release the books elsewhere.

If you don't want them, that's absolutely fine...I won't be upset. However a simple 'Thanks, but I'm going to pass this time' will suffice.

And see, you won't even have to type it out...you can just cut and paste, you lazy-arse :censored:

(thumbs u