• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Not more than usual - there are numerous board members who break this rule repeatedly.

What I find much more annoying is the endless chatter that happen in the Modern FS threads - seems like every single book that gets posted needs to be followed by 10+ posts of nonsense from the peanut gallery. customers, potential customers and members of the community

I comment, quote and joke around in FS threads all the time. I also spend at least a grand a month on here. You can always go to ebay to buy and sell, no chatter or community there. You wont even have to be polite to anyone.

Anyone else think this particular guideline has been ignored lately?

I think it has.

12. Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

Usage Guidelines

In a way, i think that rule is a little outdated since the FS forum was split up. I think it should just be once every 24hrs because mixed threads take like a week to fall to page two.

Not more than usual - there are numerous board members who break this rule repeatedly.

What I find much more annoying is the endless chatter that happen in the Modern FS threads - seems like every single book that gets posted needs to be followed by 10+ posts of nonsense from the peanut gallery. customers, potential customers and members of the community

I comment, quote and joke around in FS threads all the time. I also spend at least a grand a month on here. You can always go to ebay to buy and sell, no chatter or community there. You wont even have to be polite to anyone.
(thumbs u I feel interaction between buyer and seller is lost on internet shopping. You must have a rapport.

(thumbs u I feel interaction between buyer and seller is lost on internet shopping. You must have a rapport.
michael_rapaport.jpg

michael_rapaport.jpg

Michael Rapaport. That guy was super in "Cop Land."

And I agree - some chatter in threads builds a rapport and return business. Why would that be a bad thing?

Heck, John/cd4ever's sales threads become a feeding frenzy because of all the friendly back-and-forth chattering that goes on with song and movie quotes, in addition to discussions about cooking and drinking. And yet, the buying keeps going all the way through his thread because forumites enjoy the entire experience.

Maybe some folks should study his technique during a new sales thread.

(shrug)

robobox.jpg

Thanks guys. It's 90 degrees outside, but feels pretty chilly in here tonight.

:gossip:Feel free to quote me.

:whee:

:whee::whee:

What I find much more annoying is the endless chatter that happen in the Modern FS threads - seems like every single book that gets posted needs to be followed by 10+ posts of nonsense from the peanut gallery.

+1

Glad I stay out of the Modern Threads then... (:

Heck, John/cd4ever's sales threads become a feeding frenzy because of all the friendly back-and-forth chattering that goes on with song and movie quotes, in addition to discussions about cooking and drinking. And yet, the buying keeps going all the way through his thread because forumites enjoy the entire experience.

(shrug)

A thousand times this.

His sales threads are events. And they're fun. All the talking and banter make them fun even if you're not buying anything.

(shrug)

Agreed. In fact, it was John that pretty much got me hooked on the CGC board marketplace. I certainly have no problem with customers and chatter bumping a thread, and find that it makes shopping for a book a much more enjoyable experience. I find it a positive characteristic of the marketplace, and quite honestly to the sellers out there it gets my eyeballs repeatedly on the books and increases the odds that you get my comic money if you engage my attention in some way (brick and mortar stores have known this forever :gossip: ).

I do, however, find gratuitous posts by the thread originator when there is not an ongoing discussion or commentary on the books annoying. :frustrated: It is clear that it is a by-product of frustration from a thread that is not doing well or meant to get to the front of the line unfairly. Instead of putting :bump: several times or saying lots of looks but no offers, tell me something interesting....get me thinking about the books perhaps... hm

Just my two cents for what it is worth...

SE

Anyway,

I had a lot of fun with my most recent sales thread in Mixed, posting a few Bloom County strips and Far Sides to break the doldrums of random cheap book listing. I think the off topic posting kept the thread afloat for the few days that it took to get everything I had to list, listed.

To each his own, I guess. (shrug)

I had a lot of fun with my most recent sales thread in Mixed, posting a few Bloom County strips and Far Sides to break the doldrums of random cheap book listing. I think the off topic posting kept the thread afloat for the few days that it took to get everything I had to list, listed.

To each his own, I guess. (shrug)

That's what I am talking about (thumbs u !!!

Kept me entertained and shopping...that's some good salesmanship counselor!!! :)

In a way, i think that rule is a little outdated since the FS forum was split up. I think it should just be once every 24hrs because mixed threads take like a week to fall to page two.

hm maybe, maybe

What do others think?

hm maybe, maybe

What do others think?

Bumped just when it's fallen off the first page? I mean if it's a thread somebody hasn't read yet when they log in it's still going to show up highlighted right? I suppose that could be a little difficult as different people have different page setups, but if it's still visible on the first page of the lowest setup, then no need to bump it as it still holds the prime real estate.

Thoughts?