• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

In a way, i think that rule is a little outdated since the FS forum was split up. I think it should just be once every 24hrs because mixed threads take like a week to fall to page two.

hm maybe, maybe

What do others think?

Bumped just when it's fallen off the first page? I mean if it's a thread somebody hasn't read yet when they log in it's still going to show up highlighted right? I suppose that could be a little difficult as different people have different page setups, but if it's still visible on the first page of the lowest setup, then no need to bump it as it still holds the prime real estate.

Thoughts?

I like this (thumbs u

I know if I keep seeing a seller talking to themselves, I stop watching the thread even if it's something I might normally be interested in buying. I am the same way in a store, if someone selling something is too pushy, I get gun shy and leave.

I thought the rule was that you could only bump a thread 3 times?

Not more than usual - there are numerous board members who break this rule repeatedly.

What I find much more annoying is the endless chatter that happen in the Modern FS threads - seems like every single book that gets posted needs to be followed by 10+ posts of nonsense from the peanut gallery. customers, potential customers and members of the community

I comment, quote and joke around in FS threads all the time. I also spend at least a grand a month on here. You can always go to ebay to buy and sell, no chatter or community there. You wont even have to be polite to anyone.

You're missing the point by about a mile.

I'm not complaining about a little banter in a sales thread - what is annoying, though, is people posting drivel to either drive up their post count or just because they can. Does every modern sales thread really need 15 posts of "moar" & popcorn, and random pictures of either fatties or cheerleaders - particularly when those posts push down the sales threads where the seller is actually posting books?

random pictures of either fatties or cheerleaders

:roflmao:

I get your point Michael, but that line just really made me laugh (thumbs u

I'm not complaining about a little banter in a sales thread - what is annoying, though, is people posting drivel to either drive up their post count or just because they can. Does every modern sales thread really need 15 posts of "moar" & popcorn, and random pictures of either fatties or cheerleaders - particularly when those posts push down the sales threads where the seller is actually posting books?
I might be guilty of posting little popcorns here and there in the Modern Sales threads, but I take it as a direct insult to be labeled doing so to just up my post count. I just looked at it for support to my fellow boardies of books I might want. I'm very insecure when I'm posting my books, thinking boardies are going "Bah, junk!". I have been coming here since June of 2004 as a long time lurker, despite lots of boardies requesting me to join. I felt, I needed to prove myself as a collector before doing such. But, by your logic, I just decided after 6 years, to join and start posting to up my post count (shrug) . Ummmm, not really. I'm only commenting here, because I know two girls who want join and collect graded funny books(one who had the top set for one title for two years) and are reading this thinking you and others might not want to hear their "drivel", if they join. Nice little welcome mat, IMHO.

I might be guilty of posting little popcorns here and there in the Modern Sales threads, but I take it as a direct insult to be labeled doing so to just up my post count. I just looked at it for support to my fellow boardies of books I might want. I'm very insecure when I'm posting my books, thinking boardies are going "Bah, junk!". I have been coming here since June of 2004 as a long time lurker, despite lots of boardies requesting me to join. I felt, I needed to prove myself as a collector before doing such. But, by your logic, I just decided after 6 years, to join and start posting to up my post count (shrug) . Ummmm, not really. I'm only commenting here, because I know two girls who want join and collect graded funny books(one who had the top set for one title for two years) and are reading this thinking you and others might not want to hear their "drivel", if they join. Nice little welcome mat, IMHO.

If you don't do this, how on earth can you be insulted? Are you saying that you're fine with people just posting to drive up their post count?

If you don't do this, how on earth can you be insulted? Are you saying that you're fine with people just posting to drive up their post count?

I thought I admitted I was posting popcorns in my polite New Hampshire manner. My point is there is really no way to tell if someone is doing it to up their post count. Maybe, it's something you want to take up with the moderators to eliminate posts counting when smileys are used. I'm sorry, if it annoys you and out of respect for you(I have always looked up to you as a collector), I will stop doing this myself. I joined here to support my fellow collectors in this hobby, not irritate people. I'm not sure what the next generation of collectors, like Jen, will bother to try though as that's how they mainly communicate(smileys, etc). Maybe, we aren't ready for them yet. I felt I should say something anyway, since she was thinking about joining after my comic-con thread showed the best of the group to her.

if the seller themselves minds the banter in their for sales thread then yeah i agree that its out of place

but if they don't i dont really think it matters.

the banter is usually friendly and complimentary, and i really dont think being knocked down to the bottom of the page hurts other sales threads.

if u have a good book at a good price it will sell regardless of where it is.

just enjoy the icons (thumbs u

I joined here to support my fellow collectors in this hobby, not irritate people.

Well, then you need to stop getting 10.0s on all those books. I can't stand that!

Please, going forward, put tiny little stress lines on your perfect books so you can join us mortals.

:sumo:

:baiting:

I joined here to support my fellow collectors in this hobby, not irritate people.

Well, then you need to stop getting 10.0s on all those books. I can't stand that!

Please, going forward, put tiny little stress lines on your perfect books so you can join us mortals.

:sumo:

:baiting:

Got one that's "scheduled to be graded" right now, that I'm really nervous over. :wishluck:

Not more than usual - there are numerous board members who break this rule repeatedly.

What I find much more annoying is the endless chatter that happen in the Modern FS threads - seems like every single book that gets posted needs to be followed by 10+ posts of nonsense from the peanut gallery. customers, potential customers and members of the community

I comment, quote and joke around in FS threads all the time. I also spend at least a grand a month on here. You can always go to ebay to buy and sell, no chatter or community there. You wont even have to be polite to anyone.

You're missing the point by about a mile.

If those kinds of 'moar & popcorn' posts are taking place in a sales thread as the seller is posting books, I don't see a problem with it at all (in fact, some of the 'moar' pictures crack me up). It's when those kinds of posts are being made in a thread where a book hasn't been posted for hours (or even days) that the problem comes in.

But as a thread is ongoing? I could care less, personally.

I had a lot of fun with my most recent sales thread in Mixed, posting a few Bloom County strips and Far Sides to break the doldrums of random cheap book listing. I think the off topic posting kept the thread afloat for the few days that it took to get everything I had to list, listed.

To each his own, I guess. (shrug)

That's what I am talking about (thumbs u !!!

Kept me entertained and shopping...that's some good salesmanship counselor!!! :)

WHY, TUFFY!?! WHY!?!!??! :insane:

I rarely ever say MOAR or post up popcorns but is it also frowned upon to say "NICE BOOK (thumbs u " or "Good Luck on the sales :wishluck:" also if its considered useless banter in a sales thread? I get your point about the whole MOAR and posting up pictures as it also annoys sometimes yet it can also be funny. But is just wishing the person luck or complementing on a book also a bad thing to you? (shrug) Just wondering.

Edited by itssmeeeeee

I rarely ever say MOAR or post up popcorns but is it also frowned upon to say "NICE BOOK (thumbs u " or "Good Luck on the sales :wishluck:" also if its considered useless banter in a sales thread? I get your point about the whole MOAR and posting up pictures as it also annoys sometimes yet it can also be funny. But is just wishing the person luck or complementing on a book also a bad thing to you? (shrug) Just wondering.

Look - my point is really not that hard to grasp.

If your sole purpose on the boards is to post endless streams of popcorn, other smileys, and photos you've stolen from failblog, well, yes, then you should be rightfully frowned upon. If you actually post something from time to time that isn't just a smiley, more power to you.

Besides, everyone knows that "good luck with the sale" is a euphemism for "your prices are crazzzyy" :gossip:

Look - my point is really not that hard to grasp.

If your sole purpose on the boards is to post endless streams of popcorn, other smileys, and photos you've stolen from failblog, well, yes, then you should be rightfully frowned upon. If you actually post something from time to time that isn't just a smiley, more power to you.

Besides, everyone knows that "good luck with the sale" is a euphemism for "your prices are crazzzyy" :gossip:

Agreed. Too much graemlin posting become nothing but white noise after a while.

I do that... :insane:

Like it was posted here. I think the popcorn muncher shows interest. (shrug)

Also, what about threads that boast tons of wonderous books only to find that they will be posted later. You need a popcorn muncher while you're waiting. IMHO

Edited by kdoginohio

I have learned a lot from these threads as I soak up all the knowledge, protocol and opinions from these threads. I have truly enjoyed my whole experience...well, most of it at least. ;)

From a selling perspective, I enjoy seeing popcorns, wishlucks, etc. because it tells me that people are actually going through my threads and waiting for a good book to come up. This in turn helps me to learn what individuals like and what books they enjoy. I LOVE the pics that come up that make me laugh like hec. It continues to give me encouragement and it allows me to gain rapport and friendships with peeps. I have met so many awesome boardies on these threads and look forward to meeting more, especially in person at cons.

From a buyer's perspective, I do tend to be turned off by a seller bumping their thread more than usual. It doesn't annoy me, it only detours me from their sale, even if it would be a book I'm interested in.

As for posting only to increase your post count, IMHO, I could care less about my "points". When people get to know me, they'll see me and not my post count. I love gaining rapport with people and making them happy with the books they purchase from me. If they aren't, I do my best to fix it as some can attest to. That's what I like being known for in addition to supporting buddies during threads. Sometimes it's tough on a thread when it seems like no one listening or not interested in your books. It's good to have people break the tension with humor. 2c

:cool:

I had a lot of fun with my most recent sales thread in Mixed, posting a few Bloom County strips and Far Sides to break the doldrums of random cheap book listing. I think the off topic posting kept the thread afloat for the few days that it took to get everything I had to list, listed.

To each his own, I guess. (shrug)

That's what I am talking about (thumbs u !!!

Kept me entertained and shopping...that's some good salesmanship counselor!!! :)

WHY, TUFFY!?! WHY!?!!??! :insane:

:ohnoez: