• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'm interested in livening up this discussion thread, and making it of greater potential use for prospective buyers. In particular, I'd like to see more opinions voiced here on the quality of the grading of folks selling raw books, and on the importance of proactively disclosing pressing.

With that goal in mind, I wanted to voice my displeasure that the seller KingOfRulers will not proactively disclose which of his offerings has been pressed. Given that he is now offering a for-fee pressing service, it is safe to assume that many if not all of his offerings in the Marketplace have been pressed.

I realize there are wide and legitimate differences of opinion on the impact of pressing (or lack of same) on the desirability of a comic, but for me personally this is a business practice that I choose to not support. In the absence of any proactive disclosure, I think it prudent to assume that all of KingOfRulers' books being offered for sale on the boards have been pressed.

I had always assumed this. I have bought two books from him, 1 slab 1 raw. The raw was sold probably a few weeks after I bought it, the slab I still own. I actually didnt learn about pressing until after the first purchase. But the slab I automatically assume was pressed. And when sold I will sell it as pressed regardless.

I've never, never understood why Stephen chose to go this particular route. He's a smart guy, shrewd businessperson, so it just doesn't make any sense to me, especially given the reasons I believe he has stated.

If you think pressing is no big deal, but recognise that others do think it's a big deal, then when you press a book, aren't you eliminating them from the pool of potential buyers already? Not informing them - by virtue of "making them ask" is just a good way to ensure that all the people who don't like pressing are going to summarily eliminate him as a viable purchasing venue, even if he's got books for sale that aren't pressed. As he surely does.

I've never understood why people choose to make such a big honking deal out of proactive disclosure of pressing. How hard is it to say "Pressed while in my possession or purchased knowing it has been pressed? Yes" or "Pressed while in my possession or purchased knowing it has been pressed? No" in a listing?

I've always assumed any book that he'd sell would be likely to be pressed which is the exact reason why I've never bought anything from him.

I realize there are wide and legitimate differences of opinion on the impact of pressing (or lack of same) on the desirability of a comic, but for me personally this is a business practice that I choose to not support. In the absence of any proactive disclosure, I think it prudent to assume that all of KingOfRulers' books being offered for sale on the boards have been pressed.

Just for clarification, Bob, are you stating that the business practice you choose not to support is getting books pressed and selling them, or is it purposeful non disclosure you have a problem with?

:popcorn:

Edited by djpinkpanther67

I just assume almost all books on these boards in new slabs have been pressed by the sellers except for the vocal few and those that actively disclose. The amount of HG grade books popping up on here in new slabs is impressive.

Non-disclosure.

I have never had a problem with disclosure. If asked by a buyer, I disclose. I believe in the pro-active disclosure of "restoration" (color touch, tear seals, etc.), but I do not believe that pressing is restoration.

We have just had long differing opinions regarding "pro-active" disclosure as it relates to pressing.

Things may change however.

In the absence of any proactive disclosure, I think it prudent to assume that all of KingOfRulers' books being offered for sale on the boards have been pressed.

Perfectly reasonable. It's clear he presses comics, tons of them. And it's clear he won't be disclosing proactively unless forced to do so. So assume away.

Seems to me pressing is here to stay, and as time goes by, it'll just get harder and harder to find anything of value that hasn't gotten the squeeze. Probably not much time either. As long as there's a huge price differential between a 9.4/9.6 and a 9.8, and people who see no problem with it can press cheaply and easily, why wouldn't they do it as frequently as possible?

In the absence of any proactive disclosure, I think it prudent to assume that all of KingOfRulers' books being offered for sale on the boards have been pressed.

Perfectly reasonable. It's clear he presses comics, tons of them. And it's clear he won't be disclosing proactively unless forced to do so.

How did you arrive at that claim? I did not say that I would not pro-actively disclose pressing. In fact, in the thread in the general in response to Mac Man, I said that I would.

Nonetheless, you are correct in your assumption that the pool of pressed books is in increasing in size.

Perfectly reasonable. It's clear he presses comics, tons of them. And it's clear he won't be disclosing proactively unless forced to do so.

How did you arrive at that claim? I did not say that I would not pro-actively disclose pressing. In fact, in the thread in the general in response to Mac Man, I said that I would.

Nonetheless, you are correct in your assumption that the pool of pressed books is in increasing in size.

Sorry man, it's hard to keep up with all the threads. But you have said, quite a few times, stuff like this:

I have never had a problem with disclosure. If asked by a buyer, I disclose. I believe in the pro-active disclosure of "restoration" (color touch, tear seals, etc.), but I do not believe that pressing is restoration.

We have just had long differing opinions regarding "pro-active" disclosure as it relates to pressing.

Sorry man, it's hard to keep up with all the threads. But you have said, quite a few times, stuff like this:

I still hold those beliefs. I don't think pressing is restoration.

However, because of outspoken public opinion to the contrary, I am compelled to engage in the pro-active disclosure of pressing regardless of my beliefs.

Cool man. If you know comics have been pressed, and others seem to care about it, then offer that info. I think you're right that most people either don't care about pressing, or haven't made up their minds. I'd fall into the latter category. But I'm certainly happy to see people disclosing. It smacks of honesty.

But really, it still seems like a losing battle. Some comics, especially high grade ones, change hands so frequently that there's bound to be someone in the chain who doesn't disclose. After that point, the info is easily lost forever. Seems to me this has to happen for most comics in the long run.

I still hold those beliefs. I don't think pressing is restoration.

However, because of outspoken public opinion to the contrary, I am compelled to engage in the pro-active disclosure of pressing regardless of my beliefs.

Took a while for you to come around . . . :grin:

I don't want to bump their threads again, but what is going on with people posting "previews" in the Selling threads. There are at least 2 sellers doing that.

We have an announcement thread

There are some nice sales threads up, with books. I just keep thinking Carnival...

I don't want to bump their threads again, but what is going on with people posting "previews" in the Selling threads. There are at least 2 sellers doing that.

We have an announcement thread

There are some nice sales threads up, with books. I just keep thinking Carnival...

What, lol, you don't like people telling you now, what they are going to tell you later? I hate TV and radio programs for doing that.

It's not the commercials as much as I know as a sometimes seller how frustrating it is to be pre-empted by people advertising.

It's just not exactly a friendly thing to do.

Then again, most of the people who do it, basically come here to sell, not to be friendly.

Edited by skypinkblu