• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

:eek:

It was predictable after all the discussion.

Yep. I see he just listed a book FS moments before the strike.
It's probably the mods way of making sure the strike has an impact.

Wait for him to put a book up for sale...... :shy:.....whack..

:eek::eek:

I think that was just a coincidence.

I have a topic for discussion and a proposal to amend one of the rules/guidelines for sellers. Not sure if this is the right place to do this, so redirect me elsewhere if necessary.

I recently bought some comics from some non-U.S. sellers who did not disclose their location in the sales threads nor their profile. So I was surprised by the high shipping costs after I've agreed to buy items, although I did not ask up front where the sellers were shipping from. Given that this forum and the majority of the users on this forum are U.S.-based, I assumed the sellers would be in the U.S. or disclose the out-of-country location up front. While I bit the bullet and paid for the comics, I feel that omissions of shipping locations are grounds to cancel a deal and may be a techinique used by some non-U.S. sellers to increase sales.

The only rule in the usage guidelines pertaining to this for sellers is:

8. List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

I proposed amending this rule to the following:

List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods, and at a minimum list the country the items will be shipped from.

I do not propose requiring users to change the location in their profile, as many have creative/nonspecific locations (i.e., "somewhere in middle America").

Thanks for your time.

Were the estimated shipping costs listed? Did they differ much from actual cost?

Interesting topic. As have others, I too have been too eager to buy only to realize later that the book was coming from Canada/Overseas. I honestly do not think any of the folks across borders are purposely vague to juice sales though.

How to fix this, I am not entirely sure. Honestly, when I sell, I want to give international folks a shot at the books (they get unfairly shut out of a number of threads in my opinion). However, I am not enterprising enough to list costs to every possible country and use the generic "outside of the US will be at cost." I guess that does self-identify my location for the people buying.

In truth, this has not really been significant enough to stay on my radar as a concern :shrug: However, it will be interesting to see what folks have to say, and if this has been more of a chronic cost/difficulty for others.

I have purchased from Canadian sellers on these boards and they had no problem giving me a estimate of shipping charges before I commited to my purchase. I know one seller didn't have a location spelled out but the hint of being in Canada prompted me to ask.

I think all sellers should have some sense of shipping cost so that buyers can figure out the total price. Yes, if you location isn't stated properly (I am an offender of this too), then it should be a seller rule to list your location in the sale thread.

Always take a minute to read the rules of the sales thread. Most of the sellers on here have the costs and terms up front. The problem is sometimes ( and not refering to you), people start hitting books without knowing the shipping terms or location. If the seller is not clear on shipping costs and methods, send him a P.M. and ask.

Having to mention in your sales thread that you're located outside of the US seems like a no-brainer to me - especially if you state that shipping costs will be "exact postage" :shrug:

(thumbs u

I think that everyone should list where their location is when selling. There are members here from all over the globe. I don't think we necessarily need a rule but just some more common sense.

I don't think anyone is going to have a cow if someone asks what their location is in a selling thread. I am all for rules but don't want to have the rules become so unwieldy that it makes it unattractive to sell here.

(shrug)

Not too hard to figure out that it was a Canadian deal. I have been bitten in the butt by Canadian shipping a couple of times. Mostly because I am a typical American and assume everyone is American. So I have said things like "I can do that for $35 shipped." Only to find out it was Canadian shipping and I spent almost all of the money from the sale on the shipping.

To me, it is incumbent upon both parties to comunicate. But ultimately, as a Seller, you have to live by the terms of what you said you were going to do, regardless of whether you take it in the can on shipping costs. And both of the Canadians were quick to remind me of what I had committed to when I asked if they could see their way clear to splitting the difference.

I think the same thing goes for buyers, and if you did not deal with the shipping up front, then it really kind of boils down to it being whatever it is. Sucks, but I don't see any other rational resolution.

I think I shall buy something from you when I go on vacation to some exotic locale just to see the Heat Miser's temperature rise.

:whee:

FU. Don't mock my pain.

I drop ship my books from a different location on the planet every day, it changes at dawn, and no one knows where it will be next.

FU. Don't mock my pain.

I drop ship my books from a different location on the planet every day, it changes at dawn, and no one knows where it will be next.

Witness relocation?

Always take a minute to read the rules of the sales thread. Most of the sellers on here have the costs and terms up front. The problem is sometimes ( and not refering to you), people start hitting books without knowing the shipping terms or location. If the seller is not clear on shipping costs and methods, send him a P.M. and ask.

Having to mention in your sales thread that you're located outside of the US seems like a no-brainer to me - especially if you state that shipping costs will be "exact postage" :shrug:

(thumbs u

I think that everyone should list where their location is when selling. There are members here from all over the globe. I don't think we necessarily need a rule but just some more common sense.

I don't think anyone is going to have a cow if someone asks what their location is in a selling thread. I am all for rules but don't want to have the rules become so unwieldy that it makes it unattractive to sell here.

(shrug)

Did I send you an invoice yet? :shy:

I have a topic for discussion and a proposal to amend one of the rules/guidelines for sellers. Not sure if this is the right place to do this, so redirect me elsewhere if necessary.

I recently bought some comics from some non-U.S. sellers who did not disclose their location in the sales threads nor their profile. So I was surprised by the high shipping costs after I've agreed to buy items, although I did not ask up front where the sellers were shipping from. Given that this forum and the majority of the users on this forum are U.S.-based, I assumed the sellers would be in the U.S. or disclose the out-of-country location up front. While I bit the bullet and paid for the comics, I feel that omissions of shipping locations are grounds to cancel a deal and may be a techinique used by some non-U.S. sellers to increase sales.

List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods, and at a minimum list the country the items will be shipped from.

I do not propose requiring users to change the location in their profile, as many have creative/nonspecific locations (i.e., "somewhere in middle America").

Thanks for your time.

I was really hoping this would show up here. Although I'm a big fan of conspiracy theories in my case not listing that I am shipping from Canada was an oversight. I recently changed my sales thread opening and it is not included. I don't recall if it was ever included but this is the 1st time there was an issue. Thus may be partly due to the sale being a dollar sale so some postage costs exceeded the cost of the books.

Most of the buyers I have had numerous dealings with so they were well aware. The others I am trying to work with. The idea of the sale was supposed to be a deal for boardies. I thought there were quite a few underpriced books.

Although I will correct the problem in the future I do believe the buyers share in the lack of communication. They assumed I was shipping from a US location and never asked for a quote. Even shipping within the US has options right? Media vs 1st rate vs priority etc. Because I see atleast some of the responsibility with the buyer I don't think it is grounds for walking away from a deal. At the very least they should try for a compromise.

And yet you failed to notice that I did not state I was in Canada. :taptaptap:

Next time buy all my books. ;)

Thanks for your time.

I was really hoping this would show up here. Although I'm a big fan of conspiracy theories in my case not listing that I am shipping from Canada was an oversight. I recently changed my sales thread opening and it is not included. I don't recall if it was ever included but this is the 1st time there was an issue. Thus may be partly due to the sale being a dollar sale so some postage costs exceeded the cost of the books.

Most of the buyers I have had numerous dealings with so they were well aware. The others I am trying to work with. The idea of the sale was supposed to be a deal for boardies. I thought there were quite a few underpriced books.

Although I will correct the problem in the future I do believe the buyers share in the lack of communication. They assumed I was shipping from a US location and never asked for a quote. Even shipping within the US has options right? Media vs 1st rate vs priority etc. Because I see atleast some of the responsibility with the buyer I don't think it is grounds for walking away from a deal. At the very least they should try for a compromise.

Just put Canada in your location :gossip:

Yes, in today's world it is up to the buyer to confirm additional cost. However, as a seller you should have disclosed shipping cost up front. That is part of the board rules. Since you broke the rules, if the buyer wants to get out of the transaction, you should accomodate that request. That is just IMO which is never popular in this arena.

Thanks for your time.