• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Is it considered hyperbole or just out-and-out lying when a seller in the modern sales area tells everyone that only 20-25% of The Walking Dead #1 were printed with the black lettered warning. Wasn't it confirmed by Kirkman that they were printed at about a 50/50 ratio? hm

Is it considered hyperbole or just out-and-out lying when a seller in the modern sales area tells everyone that only 20-25% of The Walking Dead #1 were printed with the black lettered warning. Wasn't it confirmed by Kirkman that they were printed at about a 50/50 ratio? hm

Yes. :)

Yes. :)

It is considered WALKING DEAD #1 BLACK LABEL WILL NEVER DIE, JUST MULTIPLY...COLORS!!! :sumo:

I am having a dilemma - I want to sell my collection, most already know this, at least those that frequent Comics General. I keep hearing it is better (overall?) to sell my books here rather than eBay, and I will admit the hassle of dealing with crappy sellers & buyers is MUCH less of threat here. My dilemma is in the past few weeks, I have seen people selling what I have in my collection, and they ask 50-60% of what guide price is, when if I sell it on eBay, I think I can get much closer to FMV than 60%.

For those that don't know, my collection is X-Men based - my nearly unbroken run of Uncanny stretches from 94 to 472, "adjectiveless"/New X-Men from 1 to 180-something, and Wolverine (vol. 2) from around 60 to the end (181? 182?) being the bulk of it.

How can I compete with sellers who offer what I have for almost half of what I expect? Again, if you don't know me, I am jobless and trying to start over, to get out of my current situation, so selling for 50% is not an option for me. It is difficult enough to sell these, this isn't something I have recently gotten into - I have been collecting since 1982, Uncanny #171 was my first comic. Most of these are "my babies," a large percentage of them having me as their original owner.

Any advice will be listened to. Thanks, and if this post belongs elsewhere, I apologise. I thought since it is about me wanting to sell on the forum, I should post in the selling-sections' discussion thread.

-slym

Hey slym. First off, I'm sorry you have to sell your comics. That's super rough. Here's hoping you score some work ASAP.

About the comics: I know for me at least, it's been a while since I've paid much attention to the OSPG. eBay completed sales, some of the auction houses, and GPA are my guides these days. I haven't been in the market for X-men for a little while, but I don't recall them being especially cheap here. Are you sure the prices are really that different from elsewhere?

As you said, it's cheaper and easier to sell here. If the difference is in the neighborhood of 10%-15%, I'd still sell here. If it's more than that, and the money is important to you (which of course it is), you might want to try going the eBay route.

Also, I've seen multiple copies of a single issue go up for sale here at the same time, and sell for pretty different prices. So don't lose hope. And don't forget, listing here is free. Offer your comics for what you'd like to get, indicate that you're open to offers, and see what happens.

:foryou:

looking at a current sale.

someone here sold a VF/NM X-men 129 for $40

on ebay they are selling for a range from $47-60

an X-Men 134 VF/NM sold here for $20

they seem to be averaging $25 on ebay

Assuming that paypal/ebay takes 10%+ of the ebay price its pretty close.

eBay might realize 10-15% more, but considering the high return rate for raw books, I think you are far better selling here.

If I still had extras, I'd send you one, but I donated them last year...but I don't even take the guide with me anymore. I just look the books up on Heritage...90% of the time, they list the OSPG price on the archived auctions page.

It helps a lot when I travel, not having to drag that heavy book:) :wishluck:

See, this is why I was looking for an OSPG - my source for pricing must be wayyy off.

Thanks, MM!

-slym

The OSPG is useless. The best way to gauge pricing is looking at completed e-bay sales. You can't really go off of online dealer prices because you don't know if they are actually selling books for their listed prices or not.

See, this is why I was looking for an OSPG - my source for pricing must be wayyy off.

Thanks, MM!

-slym

The OSPG is useless. The best way to gauge pricing is looking at completed e-bay sales. You can't really go off of online dealer prices because you don't know if they are actually selling books for their listed prices or not.

+1

I always look at ebay sold prices and undercut it when selling here.

Thanks, MM!

-slym

+1

And if the books aren't in at least 9.6+ for the more common X-issues, then you'll be lucky to get a few dollars for each. I was able to fill in my X-Men run of common issues from issue 150 to 544 off the boards, most of the books in the $1-3 range, almost all 9.0 and up.

Hell, I was able to get almost a full run of Generation X books for a quarter each, all in at least 9.0 and up. :D

I need an OSPG so bad...

-slym

Slym,

Do you have a smartphone or an iPhone? There's an application called "Zap-Kapow!", which is essentially an OSPG that gets updated every month. It costs $2.99 to purchase in the app store, and you have the option of updating it every month for .99. Often you can let a few months go by without updates and it's still rather current, and then once you update again the guide is fully current. It's great to take to shows to check out raws, but of course the GPA is the source most use (in addendum to Ebay and other auction sites) for slabs.

It's well worth the cost to have this little comprehensive guide in your pocket, plus you can add all the comics you have and it becomes a database of your collection.....as well as having a "want list" for things you don't have yet. If there's some inaccuracy or if there's something missing from the guide, a quick in app email function allows you to notify the developers and they respond back within 24 hours usually indicating their thanks and that your changes will be available in the next update. I love it and would highly recommend to anyone that still has interest in the OSPG.

Heck, if you had that much difficulty with $ I'd send you the $2.99 via Paypal.

Good luck with the job search bro.

Thanks, MM!

-slym

+1

I would qualify that by saying that eBay sales data is useful if you compile it for at least 6 months. eBay's completed auctions only go back 30 days and since sales on eBay tend to be erratic such a short period of time might not give you an accurate picture.

I just saw Neil's good-bye thread in CG so I don't know if he's still reading this, but I have a current OSPG. I know the prices aren't spot-on, but I don't think it's "totally worthless" either. People may not pay those prices but at least you know they're starting point when they expect X% off.

Anyway, if you want I can scan the pages you need and PM them to you. Just message me if you want that.

GLWTS.

I need an OSPG so bad...

-slym

Slym,

Do you have a smartphone or an iPhone? There's an application called "Zap-Kapow!", which is essentially an OSPG that gets updated every month. It costs $2.99 to purchase in the app store, and you have the option of updating it every month for .99. Often you can let a few months go by without updates and it's still rather current, and then once you update again the guide is fully current. It's great to take to shows to check out raws, but of course the GPA is the source most use (in addendum to Ebay and other auction sites) for slabs.

It's well worth the cost to have this little comprehensive guide in your pocket, plus you can add all the comics you have and it becomes a database of your collection.....as well as having a "want list" for things you don't have yet. If there's some inaccuracy or if there's something missing from the guide, a quick in app email function allows you to notify the developers and they respond back within 24 hours usually indicating their thanks and that your changes will be available in the next update. I love it and would highly recommend to anyone that still has interest in the OSPG.

Never heard of that app. What data do they rely on? hm

I need an OSPG so bad...

-slym

Slym,

Never heard of that app. What data do they rely on? hm

From their website:

Zap-Kapow averages several sales areas for comic books, including online auction sites, comic shop retailers and other industry resources. If you are a retailer who would like to be included in Zap-Kapow price surveys, drop us a note at zap-kapow@bamninja.com.

Some folks look like they've researched Zap-Kapow before I responded....but honestly I don't know where they obtain their research. I do know the pricing is more similar to OSPG and that it's not reliable for slabs. I do use the tool fairly often and find it extremely useful.

I would like to discuss media mail and comics. Someone recently (over the past month or so) posted a link to USPS web site on Media Mail Service. It clearly stated that comics do not qualify for media mail. http://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

The notice was published in October 2012 (according to the webpage). I am proposing that we make it rule in the sales forum not to ship comics via media mail. We already have a rule that personal paypal is not acceptable as it violates paypal's rules.

I don't ship media mail anymore for comics because of how long it takes, but that rule is very loose and depends of which office you go to.

I drop off at two locations and CGC books are accepted because the ads are not readable. Older comics are fine as well as the ads are expired.

I've also heard people say if you insure a book via media mail, they will not honor the claim because of the "policy" and that is simply not true.

I don't ship media mail anymore for comics because of how long it takes, but that rule is very loose and depends of which office you go to.

I drop off at two locations and CGC books are accepted because the ads are not readable. Older comics are fine as well as the ads are expired.

I've also heard people say if you insure a book via media mail, they will not honor the claim because of the "policy" and that is simply not true.

That way of thinking no longer applies as the post office has published an official notice that states comics are not allowed. Before, it was up to each Post Master to decide if comics were allowable under media mail. I even called my up to get confirmation.

I would think notice would serve as the guideline for all post offices. There is a member that works for the post office. I wish he would chime in on this subject.