• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I think the seller should state the estimated value of the other 39 boxes.

I dont project him selling all 40, which according to his rules will invalidate the entire thread.

I didn't want to derail his thread, but I don't understand if it's limited to 40 or 50.

Limited to 40 Participants!

*I will give until Monday at midnight for all spots to fill up!

*If 40 Spots fill before Monday night at midnight I will open only 10 more spots.

*If all 40 spots are not filled the thread is null and void.

Seems like it's limited to 50 (40+10).

agreed, plus every additional box sold over 40 decreases one of the original buyers odds right? A 1/40 change is better than a 1/50...He gets more money, just adds 10 more raw boxes without increasing the size of the "prize"

Yes.

If I bid because I thought I had a 1:40 chance of getting the good one then suddenly the goal posts got moved and my chances were now 1:50 I'd want my money back.

:P

I think the seller should state the estimated value of the other 39 boxes.

I dont project him selling all 40, which according to his rules will invalidate the entire thread.

Seller has now noted that 39 other boxes will have at least 5 books and be worth between $20-100 total per box.

He's only 40-50 short so far lol

Kind of makes it a moot point. This type of set-up will never get many (or any) people to bite. We're pretty smart around here when it comes to spotting scams...

A) Drop it to $100 per and you'll get takers. Up the consolation prizes for the 39 people win $75 boxes of raws ($2925 theoretical value) and one guy wins $1500 in slabs. for $4425 in payouts vs $4k in revenue.

Most of the raws posted (beyond a few Copper keys and a few moderns) looked like $1-$2 books

Edited by Miraclemet

A) Drop it to $100 per and you'll get takers. Up the consolation prizes for the 39 people win $75 boxes of raws ($2925 theoretical value) and one guy wins $1500 in slabs. for $4425 in payouts vs $4k in revenue.

Most of the raws posted (beyond a few Copper keys and a few moderns) looked like $1-$2 books

You're talking like he isn't trying to take boardies for a ride. hm

He'd have been better off asking for donations than trying to pull this scam here. :facepalm:

My 2c

I think a better model for this type of sale would look like this (involves less money): $50 would buy you 20-25 desirable raw books (that would equal the value of $50). Ten boxes with 1-2 winning nice slabs. I don't see an issue with this type of sale, because the buyer is getting value.

I think the issue with the other sale is (1) the high price, (2) almost all participants are losing, and (3) it's hard to not have hard feelings in the end.

R

My 2c

I think a better model for this type of sale would look like this (involves less money): $50 would buy you 20-25 desirable raw books (that would equal the value of $50). Ten boxes with 1-2 winning nice slabs. I don't see an issue with this type of sale, because the buyer is getting value.

I think the issue with the other sale is (1) the high price, (2) almost all participants are losing, and (3) it's hard to not have hard feelings in the end.

R

Also, it is stupid.

These deals are great for the sellers, period. A lot less work than actually spending the time describing inexpensive books.

The other benefit is, if you don't describe them properly, you don't have to take a return.

Just wonder how much someone would earn by putting them into small lots with descriptions?

:shrug:

A lot less, I bet and that would be work :o

I agree... I think any mystery box goal is to try and have everyone happy in the end. Though with this model (of there being a "big winner) that's less likely.

I proposed an approach with $100 buy in that paid out with: 1 grand prize winner (10 slabs), 9 1 slab winners and then another 30 raw consolation boxes truly worth $100 each.

Again more people come away as "winners" and at worst the consolation prize winners have a big pile of books to enjoy and read.

Honestly most "mystery boxes" are a way to quickly sell off volume en mass w/o having to list all of it individually and deal with individual orders. To incentivize buyers you give them more than they are paying for (IE $100 mystery boxes have $200 worth of books) The buyer gets more than he paid for, but gives up control of content. The seller makes less off the books, but gains the advantage of selling more volume, and having to do less micro-management of the inventory.

And I dont think theres anything wrong with that model.

My 2c

R

Also, it is stupid.

the Socrates of our times... or maybe its Shakespeare, or both... ;)

Aren't all the mystery box sales threads breaking rule #6 from the usage guidelines ?

Rule #6

It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

Here's a new idea. How about a Mystery Packaging sale.

I'll sell 10 copies of the same book... say, Walking Dead 108 in raw 9.8. The winner will get their copy shipped Priority Mail, carefully packed in bubblewrap and a Mylar and double-boxed. The losers will all get the same book, but shipped Media Mail in yellow envelopes with no cardboard.

Takers? :popcorn:

Aren't all the mystery box sales threads breaking rule #6 from the usage guidelines ?

Rule #6

It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

Isn't a mystery box a bulk price?

I proposed an approach with $100 buy in that paid out with: 1 grand prize winner (10 slabs), 9 1 slab winners and then another 30 raw consolation boxes truly worth $100 each.

I proposed this with the lottery. Instead of one person winning $250 million, why can't 250 people win $1 million. :ohnoez:

Rule #6

Depends. Some people are displaying pictures of all the books going into the boxes so you know what will be included in the boxes being sold, maybe just not the one you receive. I think it's a gray area. And I agree with Sean, it is a "bulk" price.