• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

So buyer and seller both do things as perfectly as possible. Package arrives but is horribly mangled thus damaging the goods inside. Who needs to contact USPS? The buyer or the seller?

If you're the seller, do you give the guy/gal a "feel bad" discount on the purchase?

How does the USPS handle this sort of issue when it's a raw comic?

Do they base the fees based merely upon what the comic is insured for?

I've read that you need to present the contents of the package as well as the package for claim purposes.....how much can they derive from a beat up comic and a bent up box?

Baba is enjoying stirring the pot.

:D

-slym

My bad. I thought he was being serious.

:P

It's a bit of everything :D

- sorry, got busy :whistle:

As for your earlier post, yes, it's pretty simple what could go wrong - presuming we only see the straight up non-shippers (crooks). So as long as they internalize all the other stuff, it's pretty easy.

I had just never looked at the rules in the PIF before so I came up with an incident that had repercussions down the line to test the 24 hour offer rule interpretation. Mainly because I think multi-party deals will create disagreements with how we handle a problem.

The "goodwill, peace & love, peace & love" stuff stays over in the PIF.

I guess you are saying "Trust - but verify" somewhere in that statement.

Here is the deal: I'm going to give away this book to the first person who wants it and posts :takeit: . Free, including shipping. In turn, that person MUST offer a book(s) free to the next taker by posting on this thread, and so on, and so on. While it does not have to be of exact equal value of what you took, please offer quality book(s) that someone can appreciate.

RULES:

-You must not be on the Hall of Shame list or be in poor standing on the boards

-You must have at least 50 posts

-If you claim some book(s), you must post your offering within 24 hours

-Only one offer at a time. No new book(s) can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed

-Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away. Cell phone pics are fine

-Don't take book(s) if you've got nothing to offer in return

-Ship book(s) quickly so people aren't left hanging. No later than two weeks after someone claims your offer.

-Only one :takeit: every 7 days per member. However, if an item is not claimed within 24 hours, anyone is welcome to take it (no matter when they last claimed book(s). Just don't be greedy!

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

-You can ONLY "take" a book after it has been listed.

-Be honest

-Have fun!

The current rules seem straightforward. The only thing is if enough claims and new PIF listings are posted, you can have a backlog of potential poor transactions.

PIF PL Scenario (hypothetical)

Goods get offered/taken as follows:

A to B, B to C, C to D, D to B, B to C, C to A

Party D comes on the thread and says "party C is gone, no communication, no items"

Party A has yet to offer anything & doesn't want to because he's unlikely to get his claim from party C.

In the "spirit of the thread" - a kindly boardie jumps in and puts up the next offer...life goes on...until D decides to do a nomination.

Who goes on the PL ?

a) just C - the guy who will never appear here again anyways

b) A & C - both the guys who broke the PIF rules

I thought the Pay it Forward thread is a " here have this" type of thing? Get over it people. :screwy:

The forumite of the year speaks.

And quite frankly, makes himself look like an arse.

Nice.

Stick to the Birthday threads, may give you a shot next year too. (thumbs u

Pulease! You guys in the PIF thread are making things too intense.It was meant to be a nice gesture to pay it forward,and have fun with it.Now you guys are structuring and complicating it.I don't know what went down,and why this has come to this point.If you make a similar probation list isn't that just defeating the whole purpose of the kindness of giving to others? (shrug)

What's hysterical is Beige calling out anyone for being a arse. Go back and look at some of his early posts. lol The hypocrisy boggles the mind.

A lot of my current ones aren't too clever either! lol

I thought the Pay it Forward thread is a " here have this" type of thing? Get over it people. :screwy:

And what happens when someone is promised "here have this" and doesn't get it? Even though they have already put themselves out money for shipping and the material, in this case, 75 Mylars?

:shrug:

-slym

They suck it up, and feel even better about themselves for sending out the 75 mylars? :shrug:

And what happens when someone is promised "here have this" and doesn't get it? Even though they have already put themselves out money for shipping and the material, in this case, 75 Mylars?

-slym

They suck it up, and feel even better about themselves for sending out the 75 mylars? :shrug:

Aw come on Speedy... the PIF is just important to those guys. No need to push someone when they're down concerning a bad deal :(

-slym

Aw come on Speedy... the PIF is just important to those guys. No need to push someone when they're down concerning a bad deal :(

I'm serious man. The whole point of that thread is doing something nice, no? It's not about having someone do something nice for me, it's about me doing something nice for someone else.

If I played along and didn't get what was "promised" to me, suck it up is exactly what I'd do. I might mention it in passing to folks here and there, but I certainly wouldn't put anyone on the PL over it, or try to over complicate the thing with a bunch of rules and bickering.

Edited by Speedy-D

-slym

I'm serious man. The whole point of that thread is doing something nice, no? It's not about having someone do something nice for me, it's about me doing something nice for someone else.

If I played along and didn't get what was "promised" to me, suck it up is exactly what I'd do. I might mention it in passing to folks here and there, but I certainly wouldn't put anyone on the PL over it, or try to over complicate the thing with a bunch of rules and bickering.

Nope its in the rules above that the taker must "pay it forward".

Is it PL worthy? Who knows since 3 lawyers couldn't give a definite answer as to weather it was a transaction or not.

All I know is its important to them... and did cost them their time, which is of value in itself.

Just saying if you offer to bring me a sandwich and I decide not to pack my lunch because of it... then damn it man, I might be hungry later :whee:

I guess you are saying "Trust - but verify" somewhere in that statement.

Nope, I'm saying that I am trying to see the multi-party "pay it forward" transactions as business transactions - if a PIF nuisance comes over for nomination it gets scrutinized like every other PL nomination - - the feel-good kumbaya stuff stays over there.

My position in that example is that if someone posts the :takeit: in that thread, they are accepting the risks associated with claiming an offer AND committing to post an item within 24 hours. (the latter commitment is in their rules)

They seem to come together to make damaged parties whole, so PL removal is different. If someone does want to get off the PL - it probably makes more sense to force the PIF-PL nominee to make a charitable donation of $50.00 to the Hero Initiative, CBLDF rather have the nominator double-up.

(shrug)

-slym

Nope its in the rules above that the taker must "pay it forward".

Is it PL worthy? Who knows since 3 lawyers couldn't give a definite answer as to weather it was a transaction or not.

All I know is its important to them... and did cost them their time, which is of value in itself.

Just saying if you offer to bring me a sandwich and I decide not to pack my lunch because of it... then damn it man, I might be hungry later :whee:

Why does everyone forget about the TPBs?!?!?!?!? :)

Anyway, I brought this up to many people (who are very active in the PIF thread). ALL felt I should report BathedinFlames to the PL because if he's willing to screw people over there, he might do it in the marketplace. Trust me, if I knew I'd have to put up with this much mess over it, I wouldn't have tried to lookout for anyone else...and won't in the future.

Edited by manicnerd

-slym

Exactly! Hell who got stuck on the mylars? I'll send them to the whining baby,then there is no need to bicker over stupid stuff. doh!

I was offered many things by many people to make up for getting stiffed an rejected every offer...I dont want anything and didn't care that he didn't send me anything. I don't care about this anymore. Don't add him to the list. I know not to deal with him and I guess that's all that counts.