• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Board sales for the most part are the hardest sales. This forum is also not designed to conduct sales. I list a sales thread occasionally when I'm bored. I would be the 1st to sign the petition to end board sales all together.

Why let a few bad apples end all board sales?

There are a LOT of other threads more detrimental to your health than the sales thread section (shrug)

+1 I would hate to see sales end here. I've bought a ton of great books here.

Nobody has agreed with me yet so nothing new. The discussions would be quite different with no sales area. All the books bought and sold here would find another site to change hands. It's not a few bad apples. Board transactions are more difficult than eBay or 3rd party sales.

Well, sure...if there were no sales, there would be no SALES DISCUSSION THREAD...which is the one you are currently reading, lol

Try reading the Kudos thread, you might find your glass 1/2 full instead of half empty;)

I enjoy the sales forum, I'd hate to see it go. This way I can see how many bargains I missed while I was at the movies;)

The kudos threads? What a joke. Given the size of the probation list I'd be interested in an honest feedback thread.

I would too. Although, back when we had one, it was still only kudos.

Actually, it was called the Kudos Thread wasn't it? So maybe that didn't count either. :shrug:

I love the sales threads here. I have bought from at least a dozen sellers and had no problems so far. I have also found that the prices are far more reasonable than E-Bay since the seller does not have to pay the high fees. Would hate to see it go.

I think the sales forums are great and I don't have any problems with them. I have bought and sold here for the past couple of months and have yet to have a bad transaction.

I think I am improving as a seller, and I would always want feedback, whether positive or negative to make me even better. There are always going to be a couple of bad apples nobody where you buy and sell, and I think this forum does a great job in trying to weed those people out or at least try to make their presence known.

Board sales for the most part are the hardest sales. This forum is also not designed to conduct sales. I list a sales thread occasionally when I'm bored. I would be the 1st to sign the petition to end board sales all together.

There are a LOT of other threads more detrimental to your health than the sales thread section (shrug)

Nobody has agreed with me yet so nothing new. The discussions would be quite different with no sales area. All the books bought and sold here would find another site to change hands. It's not a few bad apples. Board transactions are more difficult than eBay or 3rd party sales.

No they aren't.

Then we have different definitions of difficult. They are way more time consuming.

How exactly "more time consuming"?

Well, sure...if there were no sales, there would be no SALES DISCUSSION THREAD...which is the one you are currently reading, lol

Try reading the Kudos thread, you might find your glass 1/2 full instead of half empty;)

I enjoy the sales forum, I'd hate to see it go. This way I can see how many bargains I missed while I was at the movies;)

The kudos threads? What a joke. Given the size of the probation list I'd be interested in an honest feedback thread.

Wait - the PL and HoS are so large they nullify 1139 threads with at least one positive transaction in each?

:shrug:

-slym

Wait - the PL and HoS are so large they nullify 1139 threads with at least one positive transaction in each?

-slym

The Probation list is supposed to be the worst transactions and you can only leave positive in the kudos thread. There is a large number of transactions where the seller is not so negligent as to appear on the probation list but certainly did not receive kudos.

No they aren't.

Then we have different definitions of difficult. They are way more time consuming.

Seriously? Sell here, eBay and pick a 3rd party. There are a number of ways it is more time consuming from the site limitations to the type of customer.

No they aren't.

Seriously? Sell here, eBay and pick a 3rd party. There are a number of ways it is more time consuming from the site limitations to the type of customer.

:gossip: Saying "Seriously" then repeating your original statement isn't actually giving an answer.

Let's say I have an Avengers 1 I want to sell. I make a single post here, with a single scan, and I'm done. As long as I've put it up for a reasonable price, it'll probably sell in a couple few hours. Almost everyone here pays via paypal immediately, so within a few hours of the sale I've got my money. Then I box the thing up and mail it off the next morning, and we're all done. How is that possibly slower than, say, dealing with HA or even eBay? And even if it were a bit slower, that'd be offset by the far more pleasant atmosphere on the Boards.

The Probation list is supposed to be the worst transactions and you can only leave positive in the kudos thread. There is a large number of transactions where the seller is not so negligent as to appear on the probation list but certainly did not receive kudos.

Just like eBay!

:)

-slym

No they aren't.

:gossip: Saying "Seriously" then repeating your original statement isn't actually giving an answer.

Let's say I have an Avengers 1 I want to sell. I make a single post here, with a single scan, and I'm done. As long as I've put it up for a reasonable price, it'll probably sell in a couple few hours. Almost everyone here pays via paypal immediately, so within a few hours of the sale I've got my money. Then I box the thing up and mail it off the next morning, and we're all done. How is that possibly slower than, say, dealing with HA or even eBay? And even if it were a bit slower, that'd be offset by the far more pleasant atmosphere on the Boards.

This.

-slym

No they aren't.

This.

-slym

lol

Did you miss the 2nd sentence Speedy?

We are talking about two completely different sales volumes. If you're only going to sell one book the difference may be negligible.....maybe. As for the pleasant atmosphere..... lol

I get quite a few more questions here than eBay and comments like "Looks like a soft 9.8" or "White pages don't seem very white, can you send a pic with a sheet of paper for comparison?"

I have had far more questions and concerns on the boards than eBay etc. There seem to be more bottom feeders on the boards looking for a quick flip. There's always the " Can I get a boardie discount?"

The site is not designed for sales. If you believe that you could sell volume here vs eBay or ANY 3rd party site then you simply do not sell that much.

We are talking about two completely different sales volumes. If you're only going to sell one book the difference may be negligible.....maybe. As for the pleasant atmosphere..... lol

I get quite a few more questions here than eBay and comments like "Looks like a soft 9.8" or "White pages don't seem very white, can you send a pic with a sheet of paper for comparison?"

I have had far more questions and concerns on the boards than eBay etc. There seem to be more bottom feeders on the boards looking for a quick flip. There's always the " Can I get a boardie discount?"

The site is not designed for sales. If you believe that you could sell volume here vs eBay or ANY 3rd party site then you simply do not sell that much.

I don't know if you were around then, but years ago, dealers were not allowed to sell here. It was meant for small collector sellers.

However, I see dealers posting who do fine. I also see people who give NO information with their sales, and people who give a lot, usually the ones who take the time to list descriptions, do a little better.

Selling always involves work, it's not magic, it's time consuming. Personally, I like the PMs and never mind questions, at least I know people are interested and I've made some good friends that way.

I rarely look in modern so if that is where you are selling, it might be different, but I rarely see problems in G/S/B.

It's a fun place to sell...and although I did well on eBay for years, I always sell here first now...and find myself having to drag myself to do it, if I have to put up stuff on eBay.

I imagine moderns are quite different although some of what you said does take time. Time is the most important factor for me and although I do enjoy some of the conversations ths site does not compare to others for efficiency. Some say time is money. Time for me is much more than money.

Branget, to me the big difference is not the seller audience, or the ease for running a sale, but the competition.

I list a book on ebay, and unless someone is looking for that exact book, it's never going to sell. Just to much chaff surrounding it. Ebay has 44k plus listings that come up when you search for "CGC". If you are trying to sell a book the only way it gets noticed is if someone has a search for that exact book, or if you start the listing off at .99 and get enough "lets try to win it cheap" interest.

Here a sales thread may be competing with at most another dozen active sales threads on a given day/night.

And the ratio of eyes to buyers is higher here (fewer eyes, but a high percentage are buyers) than on ebay (with millions of eyes, but very few buyers).

Sure there are a select group of people who comb all of ebay looking for under GPA deals, but the odds of getting eyes on your listing among the thousands of other comic listings is not as easy as listing here. Sure you get 800 views, but those views are far more likely to buy than the ebay views.

Agreed.

There are many "advantages" to selling here if your gauge is the bottom line. I realize for some/most that is the measuring stick. If you sell moderns then you quickly realize it's like watching 5 year olds play soccer or herding sheep. The sense of community here seems to fuel the group mentality.

I can't run a clean comparison as far as price because I run auctions on eBay and BIN's when I sell on the boards.

This reminds me of several discussions I've had with other eBay sellers about my auctions/pricing. Many times I've received emails asking why I sold a Walking Dead 1 so cheap. The claim is that they sold theirs for much more. That may be true but how many did they sell and how many returns, complaints or negs did they get?

Clearly some enjoy selling here. I stated it is more difficult to sell here and I still believe it is.

Agreed.

There are many "advantages" to selling here if your gauge is the bottom line. I realize for some/most that is the measuring stick. If you sell moderns then you quickly realize it's like watching 5 year olds play soccer or herding sheep. The sense of community here seems to fuel the group mentality.

I can't run a clean comparison as far as price because I run auctions on eBay and BIN's when I sell on the boards.

This reminds me of several discussions I've had with other eBay sellers about my auctions/pricing. Many times I've received emails asking why I sold a Walking Dead 1 so cheap. The claim is that they sold theirs for much more. That may be true but how many did they sell and how many returns, complaints or negs did they get?

Clearly some enjoy selling here. I stated it is more difficult to sell here and I still believe it is.

Sounds like the early days of the eBay comics chat board when dealers would come on to complain that people were throwing away money by selling for less than guide.

What they really meant was: "Stop undercutting my prices!" My response then and now is: "If the prices are too low, then buy the books and resell them." :D

I don't know if you were around then, but years ago, dealers were not allowed to sell here. It was meant for small collector sellers.

However, I see dealers posting who do fine. I also see people who give NO information with their sales, and people who give a lot, usually the ones who take the time to list descriptions, do a little better.

Right. Seems as if GA.tor and Dale Roberts, in particular, have had epic sales threads where they moved a lot of books.

I imagine moderns are quite different although some of what you said does take time. Time is the most important factor for me and although I do enjoy some of the conversations ths site does not compare to others for efficiency. Some say time is money. Time for me is much more than money.

Sounds like you shouldn't sell here. :shrug: