• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'm new here (well new by most people's standards) but is it mostly dealers here or collectors buying comics on the For Sale threads? I just notice people buying a lot of raw comics in the for sale section especially keys many times multiple copies of the same comic if available. Then I see those same comics CGC graded and posted a few weeks later at 4-5x the price.

I'm all for capitalism and making a buck and not mad I missed out on any comics but I have never seen this type of behavior be accepted on a collector site before. People are usually eviscerated by this behavior but here people seem to be cheered on for snagging deals only to turn around and sell them. If that's the norm cool, just surprising is all.

I've got some real nice deals from people and everyone seems really cool but that is just really weird to me. I'm used to people nerd raging on folks that do that stuff.

No offense, but why does it matter who's buying what?

Also, if you were buying a new car, would you expect to pay the same price that the dealership paid the manufacturer? If you're "all for capitalism" then I'd suggest just letting it be. We are talking collectibles here...they are only worth what someone is willing to pay ;)

I'm new here as well, but I've learned quickly that these types of questions don't get far on the boards, and they generally just unnecessarily aggrivate people. 2c

Welcome to the Boards :)

No offense, thanks for your 2 cents but don't tell me what to do. I was curious which is why I asked. If it's acceptable here I have no problem with it I have just been on way too many websites where this was frowned upon so it's interesting is all. And if I decide to flip a comic I saw at a good deal then go me as long as it's a fair price.

Yes I would expect to pay what the dealership paid. If anyone knows what they are doing that is exactly what they pay for a new car from a dealership. Dealerships make their money on rebates from the manufacturer for selling so many cars in a month. More cars sold in a month = more $$ per car. They also make money on the back end selling you warranties. Sorry but bad analogy is bad.

If you aren't going to answer a question my advice is to keep your fingers off the keyboard, there's my 2 cents for ya.

Welcome to the boards as well.

Wow. Hahaha.

I apologize for the bad analogy. I was just trying to give you a heads up that questions like yours, ones that don't really have a set answer, don't tend to go over very well. Thats all. It was personal experience advice from one new guy to another. Certainly wasn't trying to tell you what to do.

Best of luck to you!

No worries and I'm sure my response was a little over the top so I apologize for that. As I said I have no problem with people making a little coin and the prices here are WAY better for the most part then a convention or Ebay for sure. Plus as I said at least here I will get transactions done from people that now how to grade a comic in most instances as I sure do not. Ebay you never really know for the most part especially in my case where most comics I buy are well over a few hundred sometimes in the 1000's every so often.

Glad to be here and hope to build my collection, was just wondering and I appreciate the input from everyone.

I'm new here (well new by most people's standards) but is it mostly dealers here or collectors buying comics on the For Sale threads? I just notice people buying a lot of raw comics in the for sale section especially keys many times multiple copies of the same comic if available. Then I see those same comics CGC graded and posted a few weeks later at 4-5x the price.

I'm all for capitalism and making a buck and not mad I missed out on any comics but I have never seen this type of behavior be accepted on a collector site before. People are usually eviscerated by this behavior but here people seem to be cheered on for snagging deals only to turn around and sell them. If that's the norm cool, just surprising is all.

I've got some real nice deals from people and everyone seems really cool but that is just really weird to me. I'm used to people nerd raging on folks that do that stuff.

I think if a person was to contact another member, asking to purchase a book for his/her collection, then flipped the book for a large profit, that would not be cool. I see no harm in purchasing books in FS threads and flipping for a profit. (large or small)

Oh, and I believe there's more books purchased here publically by collectors, rather than dealers.

Happens all the time unfortunately.

I think if a person was to contact another member, asking to purchase a book for his/her collection, then flipped the book for a large profit, that would not be cool. I see no harm in purchasing books in FS threads and flipping for a profit. (large or small)

Oh, and I believe there's more books purchased here publically by collectors, rather than dealers.

Happens all the time unfortunately.

Which part is unfortunately?

Im assuming it's this one?

I think if a person was to contact another member, asking to purchase a book for his/her collection, then flipped the book for a large profit, that would not be cool.

Yeah thats kinda lame, pull sales (requests to buy something not listed for sale vs just buying something listed for sale) made under false pretenses does erode some of the community here...

I've sold hundreds of raw and slabbed books here and I'm pretty sure that I can count dealer sales on one hand. I've also bought books from boardies and resold them down the line, but 4-5x the price? Yeah, that's incorrect most of the time. I say 'most' because in two years of selling, I was able to do that once with a book I bought on the boards and subbed afterwards. One time. Not multiple times. Not all the time. Once.

I will buy a book on the potential to upgrade my own or resell, but 4-5x the price is hilariously optimisitic. I might sell for 20% more and really hot books might go for 30-40% more if I get a book bought right. That's pretty far from your 400-500% that you claim to have seen here on so many occassions in your 6-month membership that you are surprised lynch mobs haven't killed comic book collectors in the streets.

I'm not a dealer. I'm a collector who likes to buy and sell books to build up my own collection by upgrading. I don't make millions. I don't make thousands. It's a hobby and pasttime. There are lots of people on here that do that very same thing, and making it sound as if we're partying it up on our private yachts Learjets with with stripper stewardesses because we bought a NM98 for $80 and sold it for $100 is pretty naive to how the selling community works here.

Edited by Dr. Balls

...and making it sound as if we're partying it up on our private yachts because we bought a NM98 for $80 and sold it for $100 is pretty naive...

That's just because you have a learjet and a private island bro.....yachts are so 1980.

I've sold hundreds of raw and slabbed books here and I'm pretty sure that I can count dealer sales on one hand. I've also bought books from boardies and resold them down the line, but 4-5x the price? Yeah, that's incorrect most of the time. I say 'most' because in two years of selling, I was able to do that once with a book I bought on the boards and subbed afterwards. One time. Not multiple times. Not all the time. Once.

I will buy a book on the potential to upgrade my own or resell, but 4-5x the price is hilariously optimisitic. I might sell for 20% more and really hot books might go for 30-40% more if I get a book bought right. That's pretty far from your 400-500% that you claim to have seen here on so many occassions in your 6-month membership that you are surprised lynch mobs haven't killed comic book collectors in the streets.

I'm not a dealer. I'm a collector who likes to buy and sell books to build up my own collection by upgrading. I don't make millions. I don't make thousands. It's a hobby and pasttime. There are lots of people on here that do that very same thing, and making it sound as if we're partying it up on our private yachts because we bought a NM98 for $80 and sold it for $100 is pretty naive to how the selling community works here.

Balls is just mad that he's not making the big bucks here like the rest of us. I took my profits from the last two years selling Dark Tower hardbacks and bought this little beauty ... ;)

IMG_20130927_181022_540_zps6d16cfb7.jpg

...and making it sound as if we're partying it up on our private yachts because we bought a NM98 for $80 and sold it for $100 is pretty naive...

That's just because you have a learjet and a private island bro.....yachts are so 1980.

Fixed!

Balls is just mad that he's not making the big bucks here like the rest of us. I took my profits from the last two years selling Dark Tower hardbacks and bought this little beauty ... ;)

I hate being reminded about that book. I begged my mom to buy me one of those for my birthday (one showed up in the classified ads in Denver) back in 1984 - it was a publisher copy (I didn't know what that was at the time) listed for sale for $150, and I'll never forget what my mom said: "$150 for a book? I don't think so."

My mom also prohibited me from seeing Iron Maiden on the World Slavery Tour when I was 11 years old, which I will hold against her for all time.

I hate being reminded about that book. I begged my mom to buy me one of those for my birthday (one showed up in the classified ads in Denver) back in 1984 - it was a publisher copy (I didn't know what that was at the time) listed for sale for $150, and I'll never forget what my mom said: "$150 for a book? I don't think so."

My mom also prohibited me from seeing Iron Maiden on the World Slavery Tour when I was 11 years old, which I will hold against her for all time.

Definitely pay off some bills with it ;)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=dark+tower+gunslinger&_sop=16

SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH. :headbang:

I'm not a dealer. I'm a collector who likes to buy and sell books to build up my own collection by upgrading. I don't make millions. I don't make thousands. It's a hobby and pasttime. There are lots of people on here that do that very same thing, and making it sound as if we're partying it up on our private yachts Learjets with with stripper stewardesses because we bought a NM98 for $80 and sold it for $100 is pretty naive to how the selling community works here.

:applause:

SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH. :headbang:

SCCCCCCCCREEEEAAAAMMMMMM FOR ME LONG BEACH. THE FLIGHT OF ICARUS....

What's the cut-off date for Bronze Age books when selling here on the boards?

I've always gone by the '83-'84 date used by the Overstreet Graiding Guide and eBay. But I know some are persnickety about it ending in '79.

I'm not so much worried about offending someone's sensibilities as I am about making sure I get the most eyeballs of potential buyers on stuff they might be interested in.

What's the cut-off date for Bronze Age books when selling here on the boards?

I've always gone by the '83-'84 date used by the Overstreet Graiding Guide and eBay. But I know some are persnickety about it ending in '79.

I'm not so much worried about offending someone's sensibilities as I am about making sure I get the most eyeballs of potential buyers on stuff they might be interested in.

Opinions seem to vary...as for me, I list any books Dec. '83 and earlier in G/S/B, and any books Jan. '84 and later in Copper/Modern, so you and I are on the same page.