• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'm thinking he's perfectly fine, to be honest. Could be wrong, but I doubt it here.

He posted exciting 39 in the gold forum without calling it "Exciting Comics 39", that why I couldn't find his book until he gave his username.

If he were a fake, how could he know to select this particular book that was posted 3 years ago? And give us his username?

Still the old username only has 22 posts, but my spidey senses have calmed down now.

So, you'd like him to have to post 100 times before selling his Exciting 39?

Absolutely. (thumbs u

I don't really care either way, but seeing a single post seller ... is that not an excellent way to know who not to buy from?

It is. I'd rather never see a single post seller ever again, though. 2c

If I did care (I'm starting to lol ), I'd argue that I don't see why someone shouldn't be allowed to sell here without also wanting to hang out and shoot the breeze. Maybe they're just not a breeze-shooter. :shrug:

And if we require 100 posts, will we not view 100 post sellers the same way we view one post sellers today, with skepticism and distrust?

I'm thinking he's perfectly fine, to be honest. Could be wrong, but I doubt it here.

He posted exciting 39 in the gold forum without calling it "Exciting Comics 39", that why I couldn't find his book until he gave his username.

If he were a fake, how could he know to select this particular book that was posted 3 years ago? And give us his username?

Still the old username only has 22 posts, but my spidey senses have calmed down now.

So, you'd like him to have to post 100 times before selling his Exciting 39?

Absolutely. (thumbs u

I don't really care either way, but seeing a single post seller ... is that not an excellent way to know who not to buy from?

It is. I'd rather never see a single post seller ever again, though. 2c

If I did care (I'm starting to lol ), I'd argue that I don't see why someone shouldn't be allowed to sell here without also wanting to hang out and shoot the breeze. Maybe they're just not a breeze-shooter. :shrug:

And if we require 100 posts, will we not view 100 post sellers the same way we view one post sellers today, with skepticism and distrust?

Some would, sure. Some wouldn't. I'd feel much more comfortable being able to research their first 100 posts to make that call, though.

What about the quality of posts? Is someone going to check and make sure they are not all gremlins?

I don't see it working...I'm as protective of the forum as the next person, but I think you have to do some due diligence when buying something.

If you are going to buy from a 1 post person, you are gambling...pure and simple. If you are OK with that, then you have to be OK if you lose.

I still think asking for references is the way to go before you buy something from an unknown person, unless you view the purchase the way you would a slot machine.

What about the quality of posts? Is someone going to check and make sure they are not all gremlins?

I don't see it working...I'm as protective of the forum as the next person, but I think you have to do some due diligence when buying something.

If you are going to buy from a 1 post person, you are gambling...pure and simple. If you are OK with that, then you have to be OK if you lose.

I still think asking for references is the way to go before you buy something from an unknown person, unless you view the purchase the way you would a slot machine.

Could there be exceptions or variations instead a X number of post counts

Maybe X number of months on the boards and X number of posts or an extensive selling history on another site (I know most don't care for eBay)

Just seems that post counts could be manipulated like Sharon says, and the time factor (3 month probation period) may deter the scammers from trying to make that quick buck

Pay with Paypal and a credit card and you're pretty well covered, no?

Not PP, because scammers tend to empty their PP accounts...but the credit card co should help.

We have people sending wire transfers, personal PP...but my guess is, they do the same thing in other parts of their life.

3 months, 6 months...I don't think it matters, we've had long time members on theprobation list.

You just have to be careful and no so eager to get a bargain that you fly the :takeit: without thinking...if you do that, then you have to be prepared.

and sometimes it's risk/'reward

Yeah, but this newest one wanted payment by e-mail money transfer, no Paypal. :eek:

Maybe he's related to, or knows a few Nigerian princes. hm

:insane:

Yeah, but this newest one wanted payment by e-mail money transfer, no Paypal. :eek:

Maybe he's related to, or knows a few Nigerian princes. hm

:insane:

Yeah but seriously, is asking for a wire transfer not more of a red flag than a low post count? I'm not gonna send a wire transfer to anyone here, no matter how much I trust them. I mean, I wouldn't send a wire transfer to amazon.com, why would anyone do that with someone they've never heard of on an Internet chat board? Even if we're both 100% honest, there's just too much room for something to go wrong, and I will have left myself with zero protection.

Not PP, because scammers tend to empty their PP accounts...but the credit card co should help.

We have people sending wire transfers, personal PP...but my guess is, they do the same thing in other parts of their life.

3 months, 6 months...I don't think it matters, we've had long time members on theprobation list.

You just have to be careful and no so eager to get a bargain that you fly the :takeit: without thinking...if you do that, then you have to be prepared.

So paypal won't refund you until after they've gotten the money from the seller's account? Is that definitely the case? Sounds like a big hole in their protection guarantee.

So paypal won't refund you until after they've gotten the money from the seller's account? Is that definitely the case? Sounds like a big hole in their protection guarantee.

These sales are not on eBay. eBay advertises buyer protection in most cases.

These sales are not on eBay. eBay advertises buyer protection in most cases.

O. I thought that was through Paypal, regardless of venue.

I like the idea of a 100 post count or three month board membership before starting a selling thread. It's true that the 100 posts might be piffle posted over a couple of days leading up to a scamming sales thread, but a potential buyer can look at the posts and see whether they seem legit.

With respect to the Exciting 39, people seemed willing to accept the seller when he came up with a detailed story ... but not taking PayPal? Used to know how to post images to the board but forgot? Can't remember user name then comes up with it? :makepoint:

I'm really second guessing myself now. :facepalm: Could be legit, but it's really anybody's guess.

He said he couldn't find the sign up email from the forum, not that he couldn't remember his username.

I don't know, at this time, I'm just happy to be on the sidelines rather than one of the 2 or 3 parties involved.

These are just my thoughts. I haven't been here as long some of you. but I feel like I'm a contributing member to this community. I feel like new members should first educated them self's on the rules of the forum and proper etiquette. I feel that there should be some sort of endorsement by a long time member to allow the new member to start selling. For example when I was new here Jerseycomicsboy(Magnetowasright) took me under his wing and taught me the do’s and don’ts s of the forum. I feel that new member first thoughts when they discover the boards is o snap what a great place to educate myself and meet people who have the same passion as I do when it comes to funny books. Not o man what a great place to sell my books for a profit. 2c

These are just my thoughts. I haven't been here as long some of you. but I feel like I'm a contributing member to this community. I feel like new members should first educated them self's on the rules of the forum and proper etiquette. I feel that there should be some sort of endorsement by a long time member to allow the new member to start selling. For example when I was new here Jerseycomicsboy(Magnetowasright) took me under his wing and taught me the do’s and don’ts s of the forum. I feel that new member first thoughts when they discover the boards is o snap what a great place to educate myself and meet people who have the same passion as I do when it comes to funny books. Not o man what a great place to sell my books for a profit. 2c

(thumbs u

I voted, and of course I voted YES. ;)

A 100 post requirement would be a lot more work for someone doing a quick hit and run which is what we are seeing here.

Especially if it is the same person(s) who are causing the problems.

I'm sure it won't stop the scams altogether but it would reduce the noise level. :P

I've followed a few of AlleyBat's different personas over the years.

Does everyone know that he's had multiple IDs on here where he seemed perfectly normal for several hundred posts, then he went off?

Comic Supply was a long time member.

Lighthouse, a long time member.

Jackstostart, a long time member.

Joker-Fish Long time member

These guys stick in my mind because they were the ones I had problems with.

I've had brand new people buy stuff from me with absolutely no hassle.

Post count, just doesn't cut it for me.

Now, if you want to have a credit card on file (which I doubt CGC will do) or want to require verified phone numbers?

If you want to make up some kind of buying cheat sheet, where you ask for references, those things I think would make a difference.

Edited by skypinkblu

Sharon, are you saying there should be an endorcement of at least two long standing members.

I'm not sure what we can do to get rid of long running scammers, but it would be a start to reduce the noise until maybe a more elegant solution is made.

(By the way I miss our conversations on the phone, we'll have to chat again.) (thumbs u

Edited by Rip

These one post sellers are annoying at times, but I believe we really need to welcome new people, or the forum will get stale. MOST new people are great, we just notice the stranger ones.

What about as an alternative ...asking Arch to add something to the selling forum like.

While we do not preclude new people from selling, it's suggested you wait until you know the forum and the forum members know you, you will be more successful.

Of course someone else could do a better job with writing that, I'm sure.