• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

hm To further help think through what a good solution would look like, let's consider the recent case of new member Best in Comics - with their 6th post yesterday, they listed a $50k X-Men 1 9.2. A number of our most upstanding boardies instantly came in to provide a positive recommendation regarding this "noob." Just a short while ago, Best in Comics listed a $9k Sgt. Fury 1 9.0, with their 7th post. What hurdles would we want to put Best in Comics through before they would be allowed to list these books here?

hm To further help think through what a good solution would look like, let's consider the recent case of new member Best in Comics - with their 6th post yesterday, they listed a $50k X-Men 1 9.2. A number of our most upstanding boardies instantly came in to provide a positive recommendation regarding this "noob." Just a short while ago, Best in Comics listed a $9k Sgt. Fury 1 9.0, with their 7th post. What hurdles would we want to put Best in Comics through before they would be allowed to list these books here?

hm Maybe with some sellers they would have to contact Arch or maybe to sell before the post count you need a business website. hm

Sharon, are you saying there should be an endorcement of at least two long standing members.

I'm not sure what we can do to get rid of long running scammers, but it would be a start to reduce the noise until maybe a more elegant solution is made.

(By the way I miss our conversations on the phone, we'll have to chat again.) (thumbs u

Not necessarily long standing members, that might be tough. I was lucky enough to have known a few people before coming here and Flaming_telepath kind of introduced me, but a wise friend told me to wait before I tried selling anything. He said that the people on the forum were tough...and I had a pretty good eBay rep to start with.

Not everyone is going to come here with those kinds of credentials, but by references, I mean people the new person has dealt with, here or on eBay, dealers they have bought from.

The other thing that could be done is to have the new person send the book on spec.IF they are so anxious to sell when they first get here. Or ask to have a third party hold the funds.

I think using a credit card is a must with new people.

You can always call, Scott, it's always nice to speak with you.

Just my 2 cents ( from a so called noob)

When I first joined this board I was not a lurker before hand, read some threads and thought it was cool. I joined alittle over a year ago. The for sale forum is a tough crowd. Never sold any books before that, but I had to learn early. Its really tough I could imagine, some boardies probably did not buy books from me because I was new with a low post count. But I learned quickly not by spamming threads but by putting in some serious work and i guess making friends. Never meet any boardies outside of this site ( besides Taco who goes to a little con every month) but it is tough everyone here seems to know each other for 1-10 years its really tough being new. I have learned how to sell books still really dont know how to grade very accuratly, but I have a 4 page kudos thread and a 109 positive feedback on ebay.

So here is my bottom line, everyone knows when the post is a scam there are certain indicators everyone can see.

- 1st post to sell a key book

- alost 70% off fair market price

-no paypal check or money order

-" I dont answer Pm's please email me at blahblahblah@gmial.com lol really

I was reading the Exciting comics thread yesterday and some boardie posted that scam threads like this are a everyday occurence now and that it is bumping legit sales threads to the second page. Well why does everyone get in the thread and post :takeit: after :takeit: ? Come on guys and girls we know its not real but the thread goes 10-15 pages. Ya everyone is trying to get a steal on a book if its legit, but to tell you the truth its not. There should be something the mods can do after say 3-5 post and its a scam delete it. Is there anything they can do from blocking emails so these dudes stop making false accounts.

sorry for the rant.

jim

Edited by Jking3437

I think this is an excellent example. They clearly were coming in hot with a monster SA key, and were immediately endorsed by a number of Boardies, clearly confirming that (1) they had seen the book, (2) they had been to their warehouse, (3) they had a website and (4) they were legit.

I generally fall on the "less bureaucracy is better" side of the equation, and this demonstrates why. Proper vetting takes very little time around here, and scams are sniffed out almost immediately. I do appreciate that it has become an epidemic lately, but from my perspective, the truth, normally, will out.

Tis true that Best in Comics did come out swinging with a huge key... and I know those guys are legit.

Problem is... its really not fair to make one person have to have 100 posts to sell here and then not enforce that rule on the other new seller here.

Plus a lot of new sellers come here to move product fast... then come back to get to know people.

Would hate to lose the opportunity to buy cool swag because they couldn't wait the two weeks or so to build up 100 eligible posts. That said, what would be considered 100 eligible posts anyway? Who would keep up with this?

Plus no matter how big one's post count is... the newbie could just PM offers to anyone who appears to be a player here on the boards... or hit up the WTB section.

Post count isn't going to stop newbie sales... maybe public ones, but not private.

Jking3437 hit it on the nose... people that buy here are going to see the scam. If someone gets burned on a newbie sale, its their own fault that they let the greed blind them into making a poor decision.

Tis true that Best in Comics did come out swinging with a huge key... and I know those guys are legit.

Problem is... its really not fair to make one person have to have 100 posts to sell here and then not enforce that rule on the other new seller here.

Plus a lot of new sellers come here to move product fast... then come back to get to know people.

Would hate to lose the opportunity to buy cool swag because they couldn't wait the two weeks or so to build up 100 eligible posts. That said, what would be considered 100 eligible posts anyway? Who would keep up with this?

Plus no matter how big one's post count is... the newbie could just PM offers to anyone who appears to be a player here on the boards... or hit up the WTB section.

Post count isn't going to stop newbie sales... maybe public ones, but not private.

Jking3437 hit it on the nose... people that buy here are going to see the scam. If someone gets burned on a newbie sale, its their own fault that they let the greed blind them into making a poor decision.

maybe it's a combination of some of the things proposed here

New sellers are encouraged to meet 2 of the following.

1 - certain time frame of being on the boards

2 - certain number of posts

3 - reference from another long standing board member

4 - reference from a 3rd party website (eBay)

I would think that this should be a suggestion and buyers proceed at your own risk

I agree. If the 100 post minimum is implemented, then it shouldn't make any exceptions.

I'm glad that Best is legit, but not impressed with selling right out of the gate. Bad taste in my mouth right from the beginning.

I agree. If the 100 post minimum is implemented, then it shouldn't make any exceptions.

I'm glad that Best is legit, but not impressed with selling right out of the gate. Bad taste in my mouth right from the beginning.

Exactly. No one wants to scare off new members -- they are the lifeblood of any discussion board -- but why do they have to start selling the day they get here?

There is clearly a group that wants no checks of any kind on what goes on in the selling threads: no feedback threads, no minimum post counts, no minimum time as a member, nothing. Just let 'er rip.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if scam postings, monumental battles over sales (like the Supes 1 imbroglio), and so on keep happening -- and their incidence appears to be increasing -- my guess is that at some point Arch will say "Enough of this" and just close down the selling threads.

I've said this before and I certainly don't mind a minimum post count but what stops a new member to go fill up with inane emoticons in the Post Count Are Important thread and/or just posting a grade in several PGMs. Someone could load 100 post counts quickly. Most scammers probably wouldn't take the time to do this I assume so minimum count could be somewhat effective. I'd prefer to see that someone has been a member for say 3 months before selling.

Probably no real way to prevent a scam but buyers should do their diligence. Folks are these boards are the most knowledgeable I've ever seen and can sniff out a scam pretty quick.

hm

I wonder if the mods could set up new admissions/sign ups to the boards with an immediate wrist slap.

This would keep them from posting for two days... plus newbies could be encouraged by management to take that 48 hour waiting period to read up on the rules.

Provide them clear links and a helping hand, etc.

Not much help ... but a slight obstacle for the devious n00bs to have to maneuver through to sell here.

Here's another idea...I'm only half kidding with this...I don't know how the admin/technology would work, but what about a "new member orientation quiz", that a new member has to pass before they can post/start a sales thread/etc....

I'm thinking 10 questions...things that a person would have to spend a reasonable amount of time in the community to know. Things such as:

Question 1: Calamerica's favorite book is _________________.

Question 2: The Cole Schave collection is a set of books that appear to have been jacked up by improper __________________.

Question 3: The board name of the person with perhaps the best collection of slabbed Jumbo Comics in the world is _______________.

Etc.....

I'm admittedly into the red wine this evening, but I think there might be a kernel of an idea here. (shrug)

When you pass the quiz, you can start a sales thread.

Here's another idea...I'm only half kidding with this...I don't know how the admin/technology would work, but what about a "new member orientation quiz", that a new member has to pass before they can post/start a sales thread/etc....

I'm thinking 10 questions...things that a person would have to spend a reasonable amount of time in the community to know. Things such as:

Question 2: The Cole Schave collection is a set of books that appear to have been jacked up by improper __________________.

Question 3: The board name of the person with perhaps the best collection of slabbed Jumbo Comics in the world is _______________.

Etc.....

I'm admittedly into the red wine this evening, but I think there might be a kernel of an idea here. (shrug)

Rick only asks you three questions to get entry into the prison during the Zombie Apocalypse... ten questions seems a bit high lol

Etc.....

Ease up on the red wine. 2c

I think this is an excellent example. They clearly were coming in hot with a monster SA key, and were immediately endorsed by a number of Boardies, clearly confirming that (1) they had seen the book, (2) they had been to their warehouse, (3) they had a website and (4) they were legit.

I generally fall on the "less bureaucracy is better" side of the equation, and this demonstrates why. Proper vetting takes very little time around here, and scams are sniffed out almost immediately. I do appreciate that it has become an epidemic lately, but from my perspective, the truth, normally, will out.

word booty

maybe it's a combination of some of the things proposed here

New sellers are encouraged to meet 2 of the following.

1 - certain time frame of being on the boards

2 - certain number of posts

3 - reference from another long standing board member

4 - reference from a 3rd party website (eBay)

I would think that this should be a suggestion and buyers proceed at your own risk

If we wanna add some guidelines or suggestions to the set of rules we already have for sales threads, I suppose that's cool, but what's the point? A single post seller can still sell if they want, right? Where's the protection?

They're just a business, selling comics. What's wrong with their wanting to sell here? Do they have to be my friend first?