• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

Tis true that Best in Comics did come out swinging with a huge key... and I know those guys are legit.

Problem is... its really not fair to make one person have to have 100 posts to sell here and then not enforce that rule on the other new seller here.

Plus a lot of new sellers come here to move product fast... then come back to get to know people.

Would hate to lose the opportunity to buy cool swag because they couldn't wait the two weeks or so to build up 100 eligible posts. That said, what would be considered 100 eligible posts anyway? Who would keep up with this?

Plus no matter how big one's post count is... the newbie could just PM offers to anyone who appears to be a player here on the boards... or hit up the WTB section.

Post count isn't going to stop newbie sales... maybe public ones, but not private.

Jking3437 hit it on the nose... people that buy here are going to see the scam. If someone gets burned on a newbie sale, its their own fault that they let the greed blind them into making a poor decision.

I agree. If the 100 post minimum is implemented, then it shouldn't make any exceptions.

I'm glad that Best is legit, but not impressed with selling right out of the gate. Bad taste in my mouth right from the beginning.

They're just a business, selling comics. What's wrong with their wanting to sell here? Do they have to be my friend first?

I've been vocal that I'd like there to be a 100 post minimum for board members before they can begin selling. That's me, that's just my thoughts and wishes.

From their point of view, they shouldn't have to make friends before selling. Under these current settings, they certainly can post sales threads right out of the gate.

If I were in their shoes, I would have put a bit of thought into my strategy before starting a sales thread with a $50000 book, with my very first post. Perhaps introducing themselves to the community before trying to sell?

I like the community here and don't really care for the business only approach. That's me and maybe I'm alone with that sentiment.

Anyway, I'm just talking out loud. I am listening to everyone else's comments, including yours. There are some angles and things I hadn't thought of, so I'm definitely getting something out of this, even if nothing changes.

What about a 2 tiered system?

If you can't provide an eBay ID with decent feedback and at least one person to vouch for you on the forums, then you need a certain number of posts?

That way, legit sellers don't need 100 posts but those that are truly new here get to know their way around before selling.

Tis true that Best in Comics did come out swinging with a huge key... and I know those guys are legit.

Problem is... its really not fair to make one person have to have 100 posts to sell here and then not enforce that rule on the other new seller here.

Plus a lot of new sellers come here to move product fast... then come back to get to know people.

Would hate to lose the opportunity to buy cool swag because they couldn't wait the two weeks or so to build up 100 eligible posts. That said, what would be considered 100 eligible posts anyway? Who would keep up with this?

Plus no matter how big one's post count is... the newbie could just PM offers to anyone who appears to be a player here on the boards... or hit up the WTB section.

Post count isn't going to stop newbie sales... maybe public ones, but not private.

Jking3437 hit it on the nose... people that buy here are going to see the scam. If someone gets burned on a newbie sale, its their own fault that they let the greed blind them into making a poor decision.

I agree. If the 100 post minimum is implemented, then it shouldn't make any exceptions.

I'm glad that Best is legit, but not impressed with selling right out of the gate. Bad taste in my mouth right from the beginning.

They're just a business, selling comics. What's wrong with their wanting to sell here? Do they have to be my friend first?

I've been vocal that I'd like there to be a 100 post minimum for board members before they can begin selling. That's me, that's just my thoughts and wishes.

From their point of view, they shouldn't have to make friends before selling. Under these current settings, they certainly can post sales threads right out of the gate.

If I were in their shoes, I would have put a bit of thought into my strategy before starting a sales thread with a $50000 book, with my very first post. Perhaps introducing themselves to the community before trying to sell?

I like the community here and don't really care for the business only approach. That's me and maybe I'm alone with that sentiment.

Anyway, I'm just talking out loud. I am listening to everyone else's comments, including yours. There are some angles and things I hadn't thought of, so I'm definitely getting something out of this, even if nothing changes.

Yeah, I hear you. I gotta say though, the single post seller is the absolute easiest to avoid. How do you do it? Count his posts! If you force him to post a bunch before selling, you've just made it harder on yourself to separate him from the rest. On the flip side, maybe it'll so dissuade him that he'll just leave and we'll never have to deal with him at all. But of course, this will most likely happen to legit sellers as well, so who knows?

I personally don't care if people come here just to sell comics. The sales forums are for selling comics. If it's not a scam, what do I care how tight I am with them? I mean, I much prefer dealing with people I know on a more personal level, but I have no wish to turn that into a rule.

Edited by Speedy-D

If you can't provide an eBay ID with decent feedback and at least one person to vouch for you on the forums, then you need a certain number of posts?

That way, legit sellers don't need 100 posts but those that are truly new here get to know their way around before selling.

But how are the mods going to build that? If there's going to be a 100 post requirement, it's gotta be set up technically and work automatically. Otherwise, it's just up to you as a buyer to make note of a seller's post count, which you're free to do right now.

Ease up on the red wine. 2c

That bad, huh? :blush: Oh well, just trying to think outside the box...trying to think of a plausible mechanism that would make new sellers invest time/energy in understanding the community, if that is the desire (under the theory that a simple post count would not do so, because someone can just post 100 dancing bananas in a test thread, or some such nonsense). Of course, like a simple post count, some form of this quiz idea would also likely turn away not only some of the scammers, but also the legit Best in Comics types...

That bad, huh? :blush: Oh well, just trying to think outside the box...trying to think of a plausible mechanism that would make new sellers invest time/energy in understanding the community, if that is the desire (under the theory that a simple post count would not do so, because someone can just post 100 dancing bananas in a test thread, or some such nonsense). Of course, like a simple post count, some form of this quiz idea would also likely turn away not only some of the scammers, but also the legit Best in Comics types...

Don't take it the wrong way, you're just talking out loud, just as I am. :foryou:

I could search their 100 posts and see 100 dancing bananas and just avoid them.

hm Makes me think of Count's first 200 posts. I think 100 of them were this one: :insane:

But how are the mods going to build that? If there's going to be a 100 post requirement, it's gotta be set up technically and work automatically. Otherwise, it's just up to you as a buyer to make note of a seller's post count, which you're free to do right now.

Cannot be built. We can always ask for eBay handle and/or references in their thread. I couldn't see that being taken as threadkrapping.

Yeah, I hear you. I gotta say though, the single post seller is the absolute easiest to avoid. How do you do it? Count his posts! If you force him to post a bunch before selling, you've just made it harder on yourself to separate him from the rest. On the flip side, maybe it'll so dissuade him that he'll just leave and we'll never have to deal with him at all. But of course, this will most likely happen to legit sellers as well, so who knows?

I personally don't care if people come here just to sell comics. The sales forums are for selling comics. If it's not a scam, what do I care how tight I am with them? I mean, I much prefer dealing with people I know on a more personal level, but I have no wish to turn that into a rule.

lol

Don't take it the wrong way, you're just talking out loud, just as I am. :foryou:

I could search their 100 posts and see 100 dancing bananas and just avoid them.

hm Makes me think of Count's first 200 posts. I think 100 of them were this one: :insane:

Come to think of it, so were his last 100 posts. hm

Here is my 2 cents on the 100 post min

What if some scammer jumps on here like everyday they do, find 100 different threads or the test thread and just post nonsense. Or they actually take their time and plan out post.

What's going to be more hurtful, a boardie getting scammed by some dude with a 100 post or some scammer posting a book with their first post and within 3 secs25 boardies know it's a scam.

And why are people still posting in the Exciting sales thread, just let it die and get off the first page with all the other ones, there is no need to keep posting in there

What if some scammer jumps on here like everyday they do, find 100 different threads or the test thread and just post nonsense. Or they actually take their time and plan out post.

What's going to be more hurtful, a boardie getting scammed by some dude with a 100 post or some scammer posting a book with their first post and within 3 secs25 boardies know it's a scam.

And why are people still posting in the Exciting sales thread, just let it die and get off the first page with all the other ones, there is no need to keep posting in there

People seem to forget sometimes that we're here is to have fun. Posting in that thread is fun, and interesting actually. :shrug:

People seem to forget sometimes that we're here is to have fun. Posting in that thread is fun, and interesting actually. :shrug:

+1 for both

The only problem is that thread among the other fake ones being bumped take up valuable real estate space.

+1 for both

The only problem is that thread among the other fake ones being bumped take up valuable real estate space.

Yeah, that problem's a little overhyped.

:insane:
:insane::insane:

You can make 100 posts overnight . . .

Yes, but that will still deter the majority of people thinking this place is a cash grab from making their first posts sales posts. It has to be looked at as a deterrent, not a solution. We still need to be watchful for new posters, but any sort of minimum would help the current situation of spam and scams.

+1 for both

Yeah, that problem's a little overhyped.

Not if you're the one trying to sell and this 1st post clown bumps you off the main page with his idiotic thread.