• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I have noticed a trend lately (probably been going on for awhile) where sellers give a book a grade above the actual grade of a book (raw/graded)

For example

Presents like a 9.0 but has so the grade is etc

or

Graded 6.5 but front cover presents like a 8.5 etc

Aren't comments like these under the same category (misleading) of manipulating GPA data (not presenting all the numbers just the ones that benefit)

I wanted to know members thoughts of when comments like the ones I'm referring to are posted in sales threads

I have noticed a trend lately (probably been going on for awhile) where sellers give a book a grade above the actual grade of a book (raw/graded)

For example

or

Aren't comments like these under the same category (misleading) of manipulating GPA data (not presenting all the numbers just the ones that benefit)

I wanted to know members thoughts of when comments like the ones I'm referring to are posted in sales threads

It's code for "this books has pressable defects, press it and it will get a higher grade"! :insane:

IDK I don't see a issue with it. When I bought my ASM 1 the grade on the label was a 5.0. The seller was SURE that it was a 6.0 and we even made a bet that it would come back higher graded. In fact doing nothing, aside from having it signed the book came back a 6.5 and would probably press up even higher.

I see nothing wrong with it because at the end of the day its up to the buyer to decide if they agree. If I show you an X-Men 1 3.0 and say "But it presents like an 8.0 on the front, its just the giant gash on the back that takes it down to a 3.0" its up to you to decide if you will pay more than a 3.0 because it looks nicer (on the front) then a normal 3.0.

The difference between this and GPA is that not everyone pays for GPA so they don't necessarily have the ability to check against it.

For example

or

I wonder if this is in response to the :takeit: you sent me for my ASM 121 that clearly had in the description the green pen on the cover, which you then edited to say "nevermind didn't see the green pen."

As Jaybuck just stated, I don't see how this is an issue considering as many boardies have stated "not all books in grade are created equally." And CGC even has a qualified grading service for books with one major defect.

I think a bigger problem that has crept up a little more often lately is people posting "take it's" when they get all excited about having found a sweet deal. Then they go back and read the description, or take a closer look at the picture, and go "oh nevermind."

I see no problem with this either. As long as the seller gives the grade they think it is, any other description is a bonus. Most people like books that display better than the given grade.

I agree 100%. I think most collectors want books that present better than their grade. I also appreciate additional comments that assist in illustrating condition.

If jsilverjanet is posting this as a response to his backing out of a deal with Gsims, then that's a really crummy way to address this and to justify his reneging on yet another deal.

For example

or

I wonder if this is in response to the :takeit: you sent me for my ASM 121 that clearly had in the description the green pen on the cover, which you then edited to say "nevermind didn't see the green pen."

As Jaybuck just stated, I don't see how this is an issue considering as many boardies have stated "not all books in grade are created equally." And CGC even has a qualified grading service for books with one major defect.

I think a bigger problem that has crept up a little more often lately is people posting "take it's" when they get all excited about having found a sweet deal. Then they go back and read the description, or take a closer look at the picture, and go "oh nevermind."

sorry about that, but it was really about the FF52 that was up for sale in GOLD/BRONZE/SILVER - that is listed as a VF- but has water stains or moisture stains as the seller put it

and while you may think that your description is pretty clear, it wasn't especially if you are looking at stuff on a phone and not a computer

I see no problem with this either. As long as the seller gives the grade they think it is, any other description is a bonus. Most people like books that display better than the given grade.

I agree 100%. I think most collectors want books that present better than their grade. I also appreciate additional comments that assist in illustrating condition.

If jsilverjanet is posting this as a response to his backing out of a deal with Gsims, then that's a really crummy way to address this and to justify his reneging on yet another deal.

again nothing to do with that at all. please read my previous post. Love the fact everyone here jumps to conclusions

stay classy CGC boards

Hey folks. There is a sales thread in the Mixed section offering up books with scans and pictures from many sources from a new board member. One of those books appears to be the same one posted by Apollobuzz - the same exact picture.

Apollobuzz 2010 post

Here's my application for membership...

amazing-spider-man-129cgc.jpg

So as not to thread further in the new member's sales thread, I've asked if he would do us a favor and take a picture of that ASM 129 CGC 9.2 that was previously owned by Apollobuzz in front of his computer screen with today's posts showing.

Just seemed odd to have photos from a marble table, then one on a wood table, then one on a legal scanner, then one on a short scanner.

So if slickrickcomics was a shill account, does that mean someone else has an active account and created this additional account?

Slickrickcomics BANNED

Personally I feel that if someone starts a shill account, then BOTH accounts should be banned.

There is absolutely no viable reason for a member to have a shill account here.

xxx ooo

Rupp

We have certain "banned" members who create shills all the time. My guess is, that it was one of those.

Personally I feel that if someone starts a shill account, then BOTH accounts should be banned.

xxx ooo

Rupp

We have certain "banned" members who create shills all the time. My guess is, that it was one of those.

My guess, too. Another installment in the "Revenge of the Recently Banned" serial.

xxx ooo

Rupp

My guess, too. Another installment in the "Revenge of the Recently Banned" serial.

Still would be nice to know who it was... hm