• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

hypothetical question

buyer from Asia buys books from seller in USA but both parties agree to have books shipped first class mail to save on postage. seller ships books and 30 days later books have not arrived. buyer opens dispute on paypal without contacting seller.

i assume buyer will win case as there is no proof of delivery. however as far as board etiquette is concerned, shouldn't the buyer at minimum notify the seller he had not received the books. furthermore, once the buyer agreed to the lower shipping cost, wasn't there a chance for this to take place (item not delivered) and equal responsibility should fall on both parties?

for the record, this has not happened to me but these are some of my concerns for shipping too far away, and normally i would prefer to have some proof which is usually more expensive. earlier this year i denied a purchase from a board member who was in India when the buyer wanted the lowest form of shipping.

thoughts?

hypothetical question

buyer from Asia buys books from seller in USA but both parties agree to have books shipped first class mail to save on postage. seller ships books and 30 days later books have not arrived. buyer opens dispute on paypal without contacting seller.

i assume buyer will win case as there is no proof of delivery. however as far as board etiquette is concerned, shouldn't the buyer at minimum notify the seller he had not received the books. furthermore, once the buyer agreed to the lower shipping cost, wasn't there a chance for this to take place (item not delivered) and equal responsibility should fall on both parties?

for the record, this has not happened to me but these are some of my concerns for shipping too far away, and normally i would prefer to have some proof which is usually more expensive. earlier this year i denied a purchase from a board member who was in India when the buyer wanted the lowest form of shipping.

thoughts?

International Priority shipping. Otherwise, you're leaving yourself wide open due to not having proof of delivery.

And the buyer should notify the seller before opening a Paypal case.

My thought is that if the buyer in the hypothetical situation was the one who suggested FCM then it was probably intended to be a scam. Most people who mail FCM don't remember to get Return receipt and Registered mail (both of which cost extra). Without that paypal will find for the buyer. Regarding not contacting the seller, that is bad decorum, and possibly also helps show that it was a scam (since they weren't looking for, asking about their books) Hopefully this is just purely hypothetical.

My thought is that if the buyer in the hypothetical situation was the one who suggested FCM then it was probably intended to be a scam. Most people who mail FCM don't remember to get Return receipt and Registered mail (both of which cost extra). Without that paypal will find for the buyer. Regarding not contacting the seller, that is bad decorum, and possibly also helps show that it was a scam (since they weren't looking for, asking about their books) Hopefully this is just purely hypothetical.

I've posted this for a friend and unfortunately it's not. The buyer has been here less than 4 months. I've let my friend know that I've put the situation (without the details) here for discussion.

I'll allow him to provide any details he feels comfortable with.

hypothetical question

i assume buyer will win case as there is no proof of delivery. however as far as board etiquette is concerned, shouldn't the buyer at minimum notify the seller he had not received the books.

Yes.

furthermore, once the buyer agreed to the lower shipping cost, wasn't there a chance for this to take place (item not delivered) and equal responsibility should fall on both parties?

In a perfect world, yes.

However, if the buyer was responsible, he would have paid for shipping with tracking. The fact he's willing to gamble with your money (since Paypal will side with him) on untracked shipping already indicates a level of irresponsibility.

You did the right thing.

thoughts?

hypothetical question

thoughts?

Without clarifying the "what ifs" beforehand when agreeing to the lower untrackable carriage, risk sits with the seller/shipper

I think board etiquette would be to wait as long as possible before filing any claim but one party or the other suggested cheaper shipping & they would likely be "more" responsible in my eyes.

For example, if the buyer suggested untracked shipping then I'd think he's out 75% of the value & gets a 25% refund - if the shipper suggested untracked shipping then it's probably all on him legally but 75/25 the other way doesn't seem unreasonable.

If I'm the buyer & the shipper suggested it....I'd figure some sort of saw-off percentage so he wasn't left holding the bag but I'm not sure where I'd be on telling others to do that.

2c

I've posted this for a friend and unfortunately it's not. The buyer has been here less than 4 months. I've let my friend know that I've put the situation (without the details) here for discussion.

I'll allow him to provide any details he feels comfortable with.

The last time I shipped to Asia, and the buyer opted for no tracking, non-insured, postage, I made it part of the formal terms that I assumed no responsibility for lost or damaged goods.

I realize this would not protect a seller from a buyer filing a paypal dispute anyway, but in the case where responsibility is clearly spelled out in the agreement, at least the seller could bring a complaint here and call out the buyer.

Ok

I am the seller from November the buyer picked up 3 CGC slabs from me for 272.00 260.00 + 12.00 shipping.

Found out later that he was in Singapore figured ok lets check prices than proceeded to almost have a heart attack but was able to keep it to a panic attack......Xanax does wonders.

Prices were from the big 3:

USPS - $152.16 Priority, Insurance, Signature

Fed Ex - $169.42 Priority, insurance, Signature

UPS refused to deliver due to a typhoon in the local area but that those prices sounded correct.

Talked to the postmaster or head guy @ my post office and he said the only inexpensive way was 1st class and even then it was 46.00. I figured ok I never specified I would ship for the $46.00 and just eat the 34 dollar difference.

Shipped his and about 8 other packages the same day and had the number the post office gave me when I purchased the postage and filled out the customs form. It showed nothing not a pick up a delivery in shipping at customs nothing and still does not.

We had been talking in PM's as a person at the post office said it might show up if customs does their job and scanned it. I was also told not to hold my breath.

Today I received notice of dispute from paypal showing the money was now on hold then notification that I had a PM here and that he was

"its december 21st already and I still haven't received my books. I am going to file a complaint on paypal until this is resolved."

Paypal and the post office both suggested to wait another week to see since the mail is slow. I have sent that message but at this time no response yet.

I do "NOT" think or believe he is a scammer at all. Paypal said he was a top client and you don't get that status for screwing people.

He has a very nice collection and usually buys from the auction houses and they add some on to the books for the shipping

I think the biggest issue was sending 1st Class which has no protection but was the cheapest. I had given the higher quotes and was never offered a portion of the shipping costs

I believe imo both of us were partially in the wrong and would just like to make things right and that we should wait the recommended week and then if nothing then to talk about what is fair,

JWK

no that 1 sold nothing......lol

I just did Fed Ex Pricing and here it is.

1. Ship From / To Help Edit

From: Pittsburgh, 15237, United States | To: Singapore, 267239, Singapore on December 21, 2013.

2. Package and Shipment Details Help Edit

Package Details: 1 package, 4.00 lbs, Your Packaging, 14 in x 10 in x 6 in, 250.00 USD.

3. Special Services Options Help Edit

Special services: Direct signature required

4. Rates and Transit Times

Help

Amounts are shown in USD

Select Delivery Date/Time Service Rates

In the shortest time possible. Call 1·800·Go·FedEx for availability and rate. FedEx International Next Flight®

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 PM FedEx International First® 219.50

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 PM FedEx International Priority® 170.22

Delivery date unavailable FedEx International Economy® 156.75

the least expensive

Edited by jop

yes. I showed everyone I knew those prices 50 bucks a book........I'm still in shock

International Shipping can be crazy.

I remember when I was selling vintage Star Wars in the 90's a guy from Singapore bought a MIB AT-AT from me. It was $300 for the toy and $600 for shipping. He must have done this before because he didn't bat an eye.

yes. I showed everyone I knew those prices 50 bucks a book........I'm still in shock

International Shipping can be crazy.

I remember when I was selling vintage Star Wars in the 90's a guy from Singapore bought a MIB AT-AT from me. It was $300 for the toy and $600 for shipping. He must have done this before because he didn't bat an eye.

What kinds of jobs are over there that 600 shipping is normal and paid easily.....

hm

Nah too wet and hot to live there for me

Sorry to see those numbers for shipping WOW. But keep in mind there are people from all parts of the world on the boards and if you made a statement and locked yourself into a fixed shipping price for everyone then ouch if not then these numbers shouldn't really be a problem as the buyer would be covering a large bulk of it. Plus if he filed a paypal complaint it is to protect himself if he hasn't received the books yet and it's close to a month time is running out on him also. Sorry to see this happening but there's still a chance this could all work it's way out. :wishluck:

What I find odd is that I would think when he was quoted the shipping he didn't raise any concerns. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would be concerned that the seller was not charging me enough or worse that my books would not arrive.