• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

The seller was not breaking any rules. All the threadcrappers were breaking the rules and apparently were also unaware of both how to inform the seller to conform to the rules and the rules themselves.
don't want to get my message lost in the translation. I did not say that he violated a rule, but that he did not provide the necessary information to have his sales thread be more successful.

Violation of the rules is the justification for posting in someone's sales thread. If there's no violation of the rules, then there shouldn't have been any comments made, helpful or otherwise. These are sales threads, not discussion threads.

We can all look at someone else's sales thread and see things that we think could be done differently or better, but ultimately it's that member's sales thread and, provide they're not violating the rules, they can list however they want.

The desire to be helpful is understandable and commendable, but such helpful suggestions should be made via PM, if at all.

I'm going to walk away as my point is being made into that he deserved what he got. I keep trying to explain myself and it's just making me sound more like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I'll talk to everyone later.

one last time

I was just commenting on how I thought his sales thread would be more successful. whether the rules are in place or not, their is a set standard here. In order to have people buy from you, those expectations need to be met.

one last time

I was just commenting on how I thought his sales thread would be more successful. whether the rules are in place or not, their is a set standard here. In order to have people buy from you, those expectations need to be met.

Aaaaaanyway...if people feel the need to threadcrap, and believe me I know the urge can be very strong sometimes, you can always bring your gripes to this thread. You can even add a link to the sales thread that's bugging you.

P.S.- Hector/Janet, I can't believe you're saying it's the seller's fault!!! lol:foryou:

Love when people post misinformation about books they are selling that they previously bought here on the boards...

the search function isn't great, but it DOES work... :facepalm:

I think the thread in reference has become apparent.

I have no problem with the OPs asking prices. When they are your books, you set the price.

Now when someone says "I can't discount them much cause I paid almost full OSPG for them"... And I'm the guy who sold you some of the books (here in the marketplace) and you are asking more than what I sold them to you for (in some cases almost double) then I think your being dishonest.

Sell for what you want but don't bs a line to try and justify it.

one last time

Aaaaaanyway...if people feel the need to threadcrap, and believe me I know the urge can be very strong sometimes, you can always bring your gripes to this thread. You can even add a link to the sales thread that's bugging you.

P.S.- Hector/Janet, I can't believe you're saying it's the seller's fault!!! lol:foryou:

I was shopping all day with my wife, and finally got home to my boards only to feel like I should have been out shopping instead. lol

Love when people post misinformation about books they are selling that they previously bought here on the boards...

the search function isn't great, but it DOES work... :facepalm:

I think the thread in reference has become apparent.

I have no problem with the OPs asking prices. When they are your books, you set the price.

Now when someone says "I can't discount them much cause I paid almost full OSPG for them"... And I'm the guy who sold you some of the books (here in the marketplace) and you are asking more than what I sold them to you for (in some cases almost double) then I think your being dishonest.

Sell for what you want but don't bs a line to try and justify it.

lol It's the same Detached sales thread? :ohnoez:

Though to be clear, I don't support thread krapping and mush of the posts should have been in PMs

You have to learn that the only thread krapping allowed is of the GLWTS kind. If you feel someone is overpricing or overgrading, do like the three monkeys and just move on.

I'm looking at the Usage Guidelines, and it seems to me that people were "nudging" said buyer. Several folks made a point of being nice with their posts.

Here's what I'm referencing:

This is a suggested "ok to post" rules reminder template so that everyone can feel comfortable helping to keep things in line with the guidelines instead of feeling like a self appointed forum cop.

If someone is not complying with the rules, this should be considered an OK way for everyone around here to nudge people a bit. Once in a thread is plenty, guys. After that you can re-post it in new threads (once) but then just hit the notify moderator button if things don't get cleaned up.

I didn't realize that I was threadcrapping, so I'll learn from it and move on. Not sure what constitutes threadcrapping, so I'll go looking for other rules threads. I see so much randomness posted in numerous sales threads that I'm a bit puzzled at the moment.

I'm looking at the Usage Guidelines, and it seems to me that people were "nudging" said buyer. Several folks made a point of being nice with their posts.

Here's what I'm referencing:

This is a suggested "ok to post" rules reminder template so that everyone can feel comfortable helping to keep things in line with the guidelines instead of feeling like a self appointed forum cop.

If someone is not complying with the rules, this should be considered an OK way for everyone around here to nudge people a bit. Once in a thread is plenty, guys. After that you can re-post it in new threads (once) but then just hit the notify moderator button if things don't get cleaned up.

I didn't realize that I was threadcrapping, so I'll learn from it and move on. Not sure what constitutes threadcrapping, so I'll go looking for other rules threads. I see so much randomness posted in numerous sales threads that I'm a bit puzzled at the moment.

See the bolded section.

"Nudging" is allowed if the member's thread is in violation of the rules. It's already been established that this member's thread, while not ideal, was within the parameters of the rules. There was no rule violation, therefore no "nudging" should be allowed in the thread.

Edit to add:

To help clarify what a threadcrap may be, it's instructive to understand what a "nudge" actually is.

Arch has given very specific instructions on how to nudge: you politely paste the section of rules that the member is violating without extraneous comment.

None of the comments in this particular members sales thread did that. They definitely were not nudges.

Another way to look at threadcrapping: ask yourself, would I appreciate someone making this comment directly in my sales thread? Or would I prefer that he PM me about it?

Edited by Number 6

ok I'll write this again

NO THREADKRAPPING IS EVER OK.

:gossip: except with shill sellers. ;)

Even the Copper Age mystery sales thread where someone wanted all of the mystery books posted and added up, just to "help with better sales" was painful to see recently. Especially when one person started underpricing the books and stating X-Factor 6 in NM was a $5 book.

I'd like to receive that mystery box.

ok I'll write this again

Even the Copper Age mystery sales thread where someone wanted all of the mystery books posted and added up, just to "help with better sales" was painful to see recently. Especially when one person started underpricing the books and stating X-Factor 6 in NM was a $5 book.

Me too! Oh wait, that was mine...

ok I'll write this again

Me too! Oh wait, that was mine...

Sorry you ended up closing that thread due to all the fine attention you received.

Mystery Box threads are a different beast. People finding them sketchy, or being extra scrutinizing seems pretty reasonable to me.

Of course, I say this knowing nothing about GIJOEISAWESOME's thread, but this is the Internet and I can do that! :)

Also GIJOEISAWESOME had that annoying signature line at the time...

Something about this thread is SS'd by me, myself and I :blahblah:

I tried to ad block it & wiped out every post on the boards...then had to unblock the entire site & got back all those annoying signatures I had blocked :acclaim:

He was fair game. :devil: