• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Wow. Did I miss something good here. The examples pointed out are some pretty bad Ebay grading on raw books, by Chip. Also, I have to agree with several others. It's been shown time and time again that overgrading and having a good return policy is a good business model. There are just way too many buyers who either don't know their getting a book that's overgraded or they can't be bothered to return a $10/20/30 book.

The proof of whether someone can grade is in the book, not what their feedback is on Ebay.

This is true

I just got negative feedback (since revised) because the white pages on a JIM #114 weren't white enough (and white pages for this era is about the color of sweetened condensed milk, which this book, from a collection, was.)

:cloud9:

Keep it as convoluted as possible. I'm stuck in traffic on the way to the airport and you guys are giving me reading material.

Please continue...

I nearly missed my flight. Like minutes nearly.

Then, the 8:45 connection in Philly had mechanical problems, and after sitting on the plane for an hour, we had to get off and get on another plane, on the other side of the airport.

:luhv:

Your flight was clearly better than mine. I didn't roll into LAX until 4:30/1:30.

I believe the seller is a boardie. I see him all of the time at different shows. He sets up at shows and he is always buying.

I hope his bidder follows through. :wishluck: That's a nice sale for a seller.

Another one listed on CL for $8K - let's see what it does. The Ebay book had tape on the cover. This one has a detached cover. This book is crazy hot. 9iRRnjRXT.gif

CL Listing

Not for sale but it does make me wonder what my 1.8 would sell for now. I think a resub may get it a 2.0.

2311121947431.jpg

I believe the seller is a boardie. I see him all of the time at different shows. He sets up at shows and he is always buying.

I hope his bidder follows through. :wishluck: That's a nice sale for a seller.

Another one listed on CL for $8K - let's see what it does. The Ebay book had tape on the cover. This one has a detached cover. This book is crazy hot. 9iRRnjRXT.gif

CL Listing

Not for sale but it does make me wonder what my 1.8 would sell for now. I think a resub may get it a 2.0.

2311121947431.jpg

Nice book!

Keep it as convoluted as possible. I'm stuck in traffic on the way to the airport and you guys are giving me reading material.

Please continue...

I nearly missed my flight. Like minutes nearly.

Then, the 8:45 connection in Philly had mechanical problems, and after sitting on the plane for an hour, we had to get off and get on another plane, on the other side of the airport.

:luhv:

Your flight was clearly better than mine. I didn't roll into LAX until 4:30/1:30.

RMA "Catchup/CarpetBomb Posting Protocol" has been initiated.

C2P2!!!!

Low feedback bidder...driving the bids....guess we'll see if it actually sticks.

GPA is full of good comps for Hulk 1.

Last 6.0 went for $15k in august, last 5.0 went for $11,950 also august.

I can see how Greg Reece and Bob Storms can exceed GPA on their sales though. People trust and respect them in their dealings. They are great salesman who do it all without in a single ounce of hucksterism.

This is the one I was looking at as a comp.

The Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 5.5 Off-White to White Pages Origin & 1st App of HULK

Sold on eBay on 7/6 for $9,950.

A 2.0 for $7k is cra cra.

The problem with some GPA sales is that they are just BINS, so if someone puts a book up cheap and some lucky buyer hits the BIN, that relatively cheap sale gets recorded.

Also, there is a very big difference in GPA numbers pre July and post July for Hulk #1. Mid July is when the book went nuts. And there are many recent sales that are well over established GPA numbers that are not recorded on GPA.

Finally, as I mentioned in another thread, the majority of GPA's data comes from eBay, which is often a dumping ground and you might not get an accurate represention of sales prices because people are dumping books they can't sell anywhere else.

And I'm not trying to pump a particular book - that's just the way it's always been. GPA is an indicator of past and very recent sales but it still takes a little thinking to get the whole picture, especially if something has changed recently and the future is moving in a different direction.

Has anyone confirmed the 2.0 / $7K sale as legit? Not saying the seller did anything wrong but did the winning bidder follow through?

Has anyone confirmed the 2.0 / $7K sale as legit? Not saying the seller did anything wrong but did the winning bidder follow through?

Depends on who you ask and what they currently have in inventory. :grin:

It would be more interesting if we knew how many sales are required to describe a book going "nuts"

I think Hulk #1 being a hot book is akin to saying "water is wet". It's been tougher than the other Marvel #1's, especially above fine, for the 25+ years that I've been paying attention. I've felt it slightly undervalued most of that time, so maybe it's corrected a bit recently.

A discussion of whether or not Hulk #1 is hot should not distract from discussions of selective GPA quoting to justify carnival level pump and dump huckster theatrics.

Next thing you know someone will start a thread to hype Hulk #1, then the same person start a Hulk #1 WTB thread, just before listing their Hulk #1 for sale. lol

So if people are pumping up Hulk 1's, can I start pumping up my Special Marvel Edition #15??

Same level right?

lol

It works with all kind of books. FF 52, etc.

After that full shortbox of NM copies of SME 15 that was found a couple years back you'll have a bunch of folks pushing to help out.

It would be more interesting if we knew how many sales are required to describe a book going "nuts"

I think Hulk #1 being a hot book is akin to saying "water is wet". It's been tougher than the other Marvel #1's, especially above fine, for the 25+ years that I've been paying attention. I've felt it slightly undervalued most of that time, so maybe it's corrected a bit recently.

A discussion of whether or not Hulk #1 is hot should not distract from discussions of selective GPA quoting to justify carnival level pump and dump huckster theatrics.

Next thing you know someone will start a thread to hype Hulk #1, then the same person start a Hulk #1 WTB thread, just before listing their Hulk #1 for sale. lol

This sort of "5 year olds playing soccer" phenomenon is more prevalent in the modern section. In Hulks case how many are there and how many sales? At least when the world of amateur speculators is jumping on a modern book there are 50+ sales. I doubt that is the case here.

I have one buyer on the boards who sends me a PM within 24 hours of a low GPA sale fishing for copies. This reminds me of that.

I really didn't see much "pumping" by the seller for the Hulk 1. And besides, it's a Hulk 1 it doesn't need any hype attached to it. Good for him to try to get a ridiculous price...it either sells or it doesn't.

You mean except for the extraordinarily selective GPA quotes, some of which in this very thread?

Perhaps a search of past instances regarding a certain Wakandan King's 1st appearance would demonstrate better.

And I agree Hulk #1 doesn't need any pumping, certainly not this kind.

This sort of "5 year olds playing soccer" phenomenon is more prevalent in the modern section. In Hulks case how many are there and how many sales? At least when the world of amateur speculators is jumping on a modern book there are 50+ sales. I doubt that is the case here.

I have one buyer on the boards who sends me a PM within 24 hours of a low GPA sale fishing for copies. This reminds me of that.

Most major dealers have moved a few copies this year. It's a pretty liquid book unless it's priced in the nosebleed territory.

Low feedback bidder...driving the bids....guess we'll see if it actually sticks.

GPA is full of good comps for Hulk 1.

Last 6.0 went for $15k in august, last 5.0 went for $11,950 also august.

I can see how Greg Reece and Bob Storms can exceed GPA on their sales though. People trust and respect them in their dealings. They are great salesman who do it all without in a single ounce of hucksterism.

This is the one I was looking at as a comp.

The Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 5.5 Off-White to White Pages Origin & 1st App of HULK

Sold on eBay on 7/6 for $9,950.

A 2.0 for $7k is cra cra.

Finally, as I mentioned in another thread, the majority of GPA's data comes from eBay, which is often a dumping ground and you might not get an accurate represention of sales prices because people are dumping books they can't sell anywhere else.

Not sure I follow the reasoning here. If a seller can't find a buyer at a higher price off eBay, then wasn't he trying to sell at an above market price? If a book is auctioned on eBay everyone has a shot at it. Doesn't the resulting price -- particularly for a widely bought and sold book like IH 1 where a listing is unlikely to be overlooked -- reflect the market? hm