• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

11:02PM :takeit: posted in thread by JMarch51

11:06PM :takeit: per PM Posted by AnkurJ

I think giving the benefit of the doubt is reasonable here, isn't it possible that the PM discussion included an immediate payment within those four minutes? Unless the seller has two browser windows open and is constantly refreshing both during a pm discussion, then it could be very likely that the first :takeit: was just simply not seen until the pm discussion was concluded. And if it was a sale via PM, then the seller probably sold it for less than the BIN price anyway. Just my 2c

.... and even this is not always the case. I allow :takeit: via PM because some buyers just don't want the world to know what they buy. Often I get full ask in a PM agreement. Requiring a screen shot to prove the time stamp would defeat the purpose in those cases. With all the that some boardies give to those who buy for resale, I can understand the wish for privacy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Personally I'd rather do my dealings through PM.

I think giving the benefit of the doubt is reasonable here, isn't it possible that the PM discussion included an immediate payment within those four minutes? Unless the seller has two browser windows open and is constantly refreshing both during a pm discussion, then it could be very likely that the first :takeit: was just simply not seen until the pm discussion was concluded. And if it was a sale via PM, then the seller probably sold it for less than the BIN price anyway. Just my 2c

.... and even this is not always the case. I allow :takeit: via PM because some buyers just don't want the world to know what they buy. Often I get full ask in a PM agreement. Requiring a screen shot to prove the time stamp would defeat the purpose in those cases. With all the that some boardies give to those who buy for resale, I can understand the wish for privacy. GOD BLESS...

I will often buy through PM, not because I want to resell, but because I don't always love advertising what I buy.

I will often buy through PM, not because I want to resell, but because I don't always love advertising what I buy.

Exactly! Good morning Sharon. :foryou:

Exactly. There seems to be an occasional push to "out" the buyer of a book. It feels weird.

Dan

But is it the onus of the seller immediately post that the book has been sold via pm? And until then the book is for sale. At least that's how I interpreted the original rules.

Because those are the rules I think the buyer who lost out would be owed a screenshot, privately though, preferably with the name blacked out

But is it the onus of the seller immediately post that the book has been sold via pm? And until then the book is for sale. At least that's how I interpreted the original rules.

Because those are the rules I think the buyer who lost out would be owed a screenshot, privately though, preferably with the name blacked out

That's the issue......it's odd because the seller doesn't seem to be better off for taking the PM offer in this case.

have these two books available

:rulez:

Please add $12.00 for shipping

:takeit: trumps any ongoing negotiations

if a deal is reached in thread or via PM before someone else posts :takeit: that deal will be honored

shipping to US only

payment thru paypal only

happy to entertain offers.

please PM me or post here if you have any questions

Edited by Punisher_64 (Tue Apr 28 2015 10:18 PM)

Dueling :takeit: 's posted at 10:02 PM and per PM at 10:06 PM

One was for full asking price for sure and the other via PM with a posting within the thread which leads logical men to assume it was for LESS than asking.

So while, he didn't make more cash by selling via PM, it does seem that he may have revised his selling terms POST transaction...which is never a good idea.

This seller clearly does not know how to stick to his own rules:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8570219#Post8570219

Thoughts?

I was probably going to buy the MP 1 but alas, not after that.

What are you talking about...Looks like AnkurJ had a deal with him via pm for sake of argument lets call the time on it at 11:01pm. A second :takeit: was placed at 11:02pm, first :takeit: wins

then why the double posting colonel jessup? If there was an I'll take it in pm, why post another one publicly?

He likely negotiated a price and many post "via pm" all the time

... he may have also politely asked via PM if he could have time to transfer funds into paypal, make time payments, etc. ......many reasons exist for a PM. If the terms were accepted before the thread post then that deal would stand. Personally, if someone questioned my integrity and insisted on a screen shot, I would be perfectly willing to not do business with that individual in the future.... but that's just me.GOD BLESS...

Based on what I've been told by multiple sellers, if a deal is reached via PM, I have been asked to make the sale official by posting the :takeit: within the thread. Until I do so, someone can come in with an unconditional :takeit: and I would be SOL since the unconditional :takeit: trumps all deals via PM.

I've been criticized for this -

" :takeit: IN the Thread Trumps ANY and ALL PM negotiations "

But it really is the fairest way.

As a seller if we agree in a PM, and you want to keep it private, I will try my best to mark it for you in the thread. But you run the risk of losing it to someone who posts in the meantime.

As a buyer, I know I run the risk of losing the book by keeping things private.

Based on what I've been told by multiple sellers, if a deal is reached via PM, I have been asked to make the sale official by posting the :takeit: within the thread. Until I do so, someone can come in with an unconditional :takeit: and I would be SOL since the unconditional :takeit: trumps all deals via PM.

As a seller if we agree in a PM, and you want to keep it private, I will try my best to mark it for you in the thread. But you run the risk of losing it to someone who posts in the meantime.

Dan, this is only "fair" if you don't respect someone's desire for privacy. If the terms are spelled out in the listing that PM's are honored, then there is nothing unfair at all. GOD BLESS...

..... they're really just comics.... it's not like we're jockeying for a spot on the waiting list for a kidney.

I can see why you'd get criticized for it. Posting " :takeit: IN the Thread Trumps ANY and ALL PM negotiations " doesn't cover done deals by PM, only ongoing negotiations.

Someone agrees to a deal with you. Both sides accept. Everyone believes there's a deal. Then there isn't. Most people would expect a done deal...with both parties accepting the deal as something beyond "negotiations". Negotiations are over at that point, all that's left is the contract.

It allows for a loop hole of you and a buyer agreeing and then, perhaps there's an unavoidable delay in posting the book sold...maybe for a day or two, and then someone takes it for full price in the thread. Perhaps even after you've been paid.

So, yes, I can see the criticism to which you'd be opening up yourself.

What you wrote above (colored in red and underlined by me for emphasis) means something different to me that is does to you. What you wrote above to me means that if we're still negotiating via PM, and someone else throws down the 'take it' in the thread, I lose. However, if you and I have agreed to a deal in a PM exchange, we are no longer negotiating - we have an agreed upon deal in place , and a thread 'take it' should not dominate that deal.

To accomplish what you are intending, you would need to say something like

" :takeit: IN the Thread Trumps ANY and ALL PM activity, whether a deal has been reached, or not " , which would be a bad policy, in my opinion.

edit: beat me to the post, comix4fun :D

Edited by edowens71

..... they're really just comics.... it's not like we're jockeying for a spot on the waiting list for a kidney.

More people need this perspective. It's only comic books. So you missed out on one, big :censored: deal. Life's too short. Let it go. In the case of the vast majority of comics out there, another copy will be along shortly.

I can see why you'd get criticized for it. Posting " :takeit: IN the Thread Trumps ANY and ALL PM negotiations " doesn't cover done deals by PM, only ongoing negotiations.

Someone agrees to a deal with you. Both sides accept. Everyone believes there's a deal. Then there isn't. Most people would expect a done deal...with both parties accepting the deal as something beyond "negotiations". Negotiations are over at that point, all that's left is the contract.

It allows for a loop hole of you and a buyer agreeing and then, perhaps there's an unavoidable delay in posting the book sold...maybe for a day or two, and then someone takes it for full price in the thread. Perhaps even after you've been paid.

But the deal isn't "DONE" (In my threads) until it's marked publically in the thread. And that's explained to anyone who has asked for a private deal.

The only delay that I've run into is using my phone at work. I drive a hi-lo, so if I'm in the middle of something, there may be a short delay. Other than that, I immediately post in the thread.

Maybe I should change it to - :takeit:IN the Thread Trumps ANY and ALL PM's

But the deal isn't "DONE" (In my threads) until it's marked publically in the thread. And that's explained to anyone who has asked for a private deal.

The only delay that I've run into is using my phone at work. I drive a hi-lo, so if I'm in the middle of something, there may be a short delay. Other than that, I immediately post in the thread.

Maybe I should change it to - :takeit:IN the Thread Trumps ANY and ALL PM's

I would, for clarity's sake...... although I still feel "first come, first served" Pm or thread, is about as fair as you can get.... but that's me. That's what I like about the boards.... we get to run our threads as we see fit, with minimal guidelines :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

I would, for clarity's sake...... although I still feel "first come, first served" Pm or thread, is about as fair as you can get.... but that's me. That's what I like about the boards.... we get to run our threads as we see fit, with minimal guidelines :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

It was explained in a thread a while back that a PM timestamp can be manipulated. If someone thinks a seller is already being underhanded, what makes them think they wouldn't do this?