• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I do have a real question though.

I had a boardie :takeit: a book on 8-5-15 pending scan. Scan was provided 8-11-15 once the book arrived from CGC.

So far he has not even logged back on to the boards to check the PM. How long would most of you wait before you cancelled the transaction with that boardie and sell it elsewhere?

IMO 5 days is enough to sell it else where.

However I did PM him last night saying if I don't here back from you by Wednesday 8-19 before I leave for vacation for 3 weeks that I am canceling your :takeit: pending scan. Which is over a weeks time since I last sent him the scan.

I try to be more business lenient here on the boards, but I think I gave him more than enough time to complete the transaction yah or nay. I could have gotten paid days ago from other boardies that wanted the same book.

Your thoughts?

Edited by SPECTRE_nWo

:news:

I use Priority Mail boxes as packaging cardboard for raw comics if I ship them 1st class mail.

Am I now unethical? :o:o:o

Yes you are a thief, liar and a scammer and may you rot in hell. lol But seriously that's the mentality around here.

But I'm just joking you're awesome.

As far as your situation with the buyer who put the take it sign pending scan, I think you're in the right by giving him ample time to respond and if he doesn't then move on. Time is money.

I had a boardie :takeit: a book on 8-5-15 pending scan. Scan was provided 8-11-15 once the book arrived from CGC.

So far he has not even logged back on to the boards to check the PM. How long would most of you wait before you cancelled the transaction with that boardie and sell it elsewhere?

However I did PM him last night saying if I don't here back from you by Wednesday 8-19 before I leave for vacation for 3 weeks that I am canceling your :takeit: pending scan. Which is over a weeks time since I last sent him the scan.

I try to be more business lenient here on the boards, but I think I gave him more than enough time to complete the transaction yah or nay. I could have gotten paid days ago from other boardies that wanted the same book.

Your thoughts?

I agree if you don't hear by 8/19 then you can move on

Your thoughts?

Firstly if I might offer some assistance I would say I think the board policy here states you have to give them 30 days but I personally understand your eagerness to finalize the transaction.

Secondly whenever I say "forget about them; cancel the sale" (which is what my gut says right

now)the buyer typically appears and completes the transaction.

Some of the more experienced members like Harvey, Slym or Skypink might be able to help you more in regards to the aspect of your obligations to the prospective buyer.

2c

It is utter hypocrisy to maintain a "probation list" for people who rip off, cheat, steal, and otherwise do harm to others, while simultaneously completely turning a blind eye to stealing from Paypal because of whatever reason.

Well naturally. Stealing from Paypal is okay. Especially if it's rationalized by "helping out a boardie"

And to everyone, RMA is right about Paypal personal. You may not like that, you may not care but it is stealing from Paypal. That's indisputable. No different than those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who used to charge outrageous shipping charges on ebay to avoid the fees.

eBay rips me off every time when I charge correctly for shipping.

I have to pay them 10% so I lose money. (shrug)

Jeffro is talking about the people who would charge $1 for a $500 item, and $499 for "shipping" (I tried this as well, 10-12 years ago or so, because I was stupid), so that they would only pay eBay on the $1, and not the "shipping."

What does "charge correctly" mean? Charge the exact amount? You don't have to do that. eBay certainly doesn't expect you to.

Those terms are stated upfront. You CHOOSE to accept them when you choose to use eBay. No one is forcing you to use eBay. If you can't make it work, that isn't really eBay's problem. But they aren't "ripping you off", except in a philosophical way (and I agree with you; but, see above.)

I don't like the 10% charge on shipping...but that just means I have to build that cost back into the price, or the cost. On most items, I charge $9 for flat rate Priority envelope shipping. That just about covers the costs. Some buyers whine, but most don't.

PS. Your "$1625 by PP Personal" comment is the latest catalyst for this conversation.

I use Priority Mail boxes as packaging cardboard for raw comics if I ship them 1st class mail.

Yes.

Was that not a "serious" question?

The USPS doesn't provide these materials for free so that you can use them in non-Priority packages.

You really ought to know these things by now. It's not as if you just got into the comics business a month ago.

It is utter hypocrisy to maintain a "probation list" for people who rip off, cheat, steal, and otherwise do harm to others, while simultaneously completely turning a blind eye to stealing from Paypal because of whatever reason.

Well naturally. Stealing from Paypal is okay. Especially if it's rationalized by "helping out a boardie"

And to everyone, RMA is right about Paypal personal. You may not like that, you may not care but it is stealing from Paypal. That's indisputable. No different than those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who used to charge outrageous shipping charges on ebay to avoid the fees.

Jeffro is talking about the people who would charge $1 for a $500 item, and $499 for "shipping" (I tried this as well, 10-12 years ago or so, because I was stupid), so that they would only pay eBay on the $1, and not the "shipping."

What does "charge correctly" mean? Charge the exact amount? You don't have to do that. eBay certainly doesn't expect you to.

Those terms are stated upfront. You CHOOSE to accept them when you choose to use eBay. No one is forcing you to use eBay. If you can't make it work, that isn't really eBay's problem. But they aren't "ripping you off", except in a philosophical way (and I agree with you; but, see above.)

I don't like the 10% charge on shipping...but that just means I have to build that cost back into the price, or the cost. On most items, I charge $9 for flat rate Priority envelope shipping. That just about covers the costs. Some buyers whine, but most don't.

PS. Your "$1625 by PP Personal" comment is the latest catalyst for this conversation.

You were stealing??? :o

Your thoughts?

Firstly if I might offer some assistance I would say I think the board policy here states you have to give them 30 days but I personally understand your eagerness to finalize the transaction.

Secondly whenever I say "forget about them; cancel the sale" (which is what my gut says right

Some of the more experienced members like Harvey, Slym or Skypink might be able to help you more in regards to the aspect of your obligations to the prospective buyer.

2c

With respect to the 30 days IMO it does not apply here. An "I'll take it pending scan" is not on par with an actual transaction, since nothing is "transacting". The pending scan stuff is simply the indulgence of the seller to give someone first look at a book, it is not a sale, there is no obligation on the buyer to still purchase the book after seeing the scan. It is a non-transaction.

Just my 2c also, but there is an obligation on a person benefiting from that procedure (and it sure benefits the prospective buyer more than the seller) to be prompt in response. Your 8-19 date is more than generous.

Yes.

The USPS doesn't provide these materials for free so that you can use them in non-Priority packages.

You really ought to know these things by now. It's not as if you just got into the comics business a month ago.

You think I don't know. Hence the condescending :o:o

I also believe in athletic use of steroids so my team can always win. (shrug)

Edited by SPECTRE_nWo

Your thoughts?

2c

With respect to the 30 days IMO it does not apply here. An "I'll take it pending scan" is not on par with an actual transaction, since nothing is "transacting". The pending scan stuff is simply the indulgence of the seller to give someone first look at a book, it is not a sale, there is no obligation on the buyer to still purchase the book after seeing the scan. It is a non-transaction.

Just my 2c also, but there is an obligation on a person benefiting from that procedure (and it sure benefits the prospective buyer more than the seller) to be prompt in response. Your 8-19 date is more than generous.

Ahh... I understand. Very interesting. hm

Yes to all that do not know the 30-day good guy buyer window rule as I like to call it does not apply ever in my opinion to a :takeit: pending scan since the buyer can back out.

I know. How do they get away with charging us a 10% fee on shipping charges. Seems unethical.

Ebay for sellers is now at an all time high for fraud buyers.

Their new forced return process with the now forced seller paying for buyers returns will open up a new wave of fun for fraud for sellers on eBay. :banana:

That's just your perception. Fraud on eBay was substantially higher in the late 90's/early 2000's, and....you had no way to deal with it.

You had to contact eBay through e-mail, and THEY chose whether they would respond or not, and almost always they did not.

Yes, now you have to talk to the Philippines, but at least you get to talk to somebody who MIGHT do something, and if you're persistent, you can get to someone who will help.

Back in 2000, if you had a problem, you couldn't call ANYONE. eBay purposely and meticulously shielded themselves from dealing with complaints, and if someone stole your money, or sent you back a different item or empty box (after all...chargebacks still existed), or just said "this book isn't in the condition stated, I want some money back"...whether it was legitimate or not (and sometimes it was....I dealt with overgraded comics on almost a daily basis, it was so bad for everyone.)

They didn't have any contact numbers. They DID have their office number, which you could manage to track down if you were persistent....but then you got a secretary who had no idea how to help you, and you would spend hours and hours and hours waiting for someone that might be able to help you.

It was awful. Just awful. The stories I could tell you.

I "bought" a Primer #2/Grendel #1-3 signed by Wagner for $180. Sent the MO to Texas...never got anything. Gone. Nothing to do about it. eBay didn't care, and didn't even respond to my e-mails. This was in 1999.

Some criminal rings would carefully cultivate a customer base over a year or two....selling AND DELIVERING perfectly good merchandise, building up a stellar account...and they they'd strike, and net $250,000 or more in a single bout of fraudulent sales, and then disappear to the Cayman's....and there was nothing anyone would do.

It was the Wild, Wild West.

It's far, far better than it was. Far better. No, eBay is not at ALL at an "all time high for fraud buyers."

Oh you mean on that sales transaction that never happened or I got money from. Gotcha.

What about all the PMs sellers get when buyers offer to pay PP personal in their own verbiage?

Are they bad people as well?

Yes.

You think I don't know. Hence the condescending :o:o

I also believe in athletic use of steroids so my team can always win. (shrug)

No, I don't think you don't know.

I think you don't care.

There's a difference.

I can't get beyond your endorsement of steroids. :insane:

Win at all costs.

I actually like Tom Brady now. (thumbs u

You think the same sports franchises win because they play fair? lol

I know. How do they get away with charging us a 10% fee on shipping charges. Seems unethical.

Ebay for sellers is now at an all time high for fraud buyers.

Their new forced return process with the now forced seller paying for buyers returns will open up a new wave of fun for fraud for sellers on eBay. :banana:

That's just your perception. Fraud on eBay was substantially higher in the late 90's/early 2000's, and....you had no way to deal with it.

You had to contact eBay through e-mail, and THEY chose whether they would respond or not, and almost always they did not.

Yes, now you have to talk to the Philippines, but at least you get to talk to somebody who MIGHT do something, and if you're persistent, you can get to someone who will help.

Back in 2000, if you had a problem, you couldn't call ANYONE. eBay purposely and meticulously shielded themselves from dealing with complaints, and if someone stole your money, or sent you back a different item or empty box (after all...chargebacks still existed), or just said "this book isn't in the condition stated, I want some money back"...whether it was legitimate or not (and sometimes it was....I dealt with overgraded comics on almost a daily basis, it was so bad for everyone.)

They didn't have any contact numbers. They DID have their office number, which you could manage to track down if you were persistent....but then you got a secretary who had no idea how to help you, and you would spend hours and hours and hours waiting for someone that might be able to help you.

It was awful. Just awful. The stories I could tell you.

I "bought" a Primer #2/Grendel #1-3 signed by Wagner for $180. Sent the MO to Texas...never got anything. Gone. Nothing to do about it. eBay didn't care, and didn't even respond to my e-mails. This was in 1999.

Some criminal rings would carefully cultivate a customer base over a year or two....selling AND DELIVERING perfectly good merchandise, building up a stellar account...and they they'd strike, and net $250,000 or more in a single bout of fraudulent sales, and then disappear to the Cayman's....and there was nothing anyone would do.

It was the Wild, Wild West.

It's far, far better than it was. Far better. No, eBay is not at ALL at an "all time high for fraud buyers."

I never lost one dollar from buying/selling on eBay from 1998-2003.

Once PayPal became mandatory the fraud IMO got much, much worse.

With eBay's new return policy the Wild Wild West is back. Just you watch....