• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I guess everyone here declares all income and pays their taxes?

No, of course not.

But does that mean they shouldn't?

hm

So have you?

I think we all assuming from your high horse moral posts that you must account for every dollar right?

That you characterize someone who says "hey...let's not steal from somebody, or at the very least, if you are going to steal, call it what it is, and don't be a hypocrite about it" as "high horse moral posts" just shows how little you care.

My standards aren't high. Far from it. It's just that your standards are so low, mine appear high. And you complain when someone even SUGGESTS that we all do the right thing.

And yes, SOT, I account for every dollar, as much as I possibly can.

And who is "we"? Do you have multiple people in your head?

If not, who are you speaking for? Was there a board spokesman election I missed? If not, speak for yourself, and let everyone else speak for themselves.

Who is SOT?

That would be "Spiderman-on-Tilt", which was your former board name.

meh

More often than not every one here that has sold on the boards has received a PP Personal payment as well as most comic book dealers off the boards.

Are they immoral in your eyes?

Pay attention: everyone is immoral. Everyone has done wrong things. I have, you have, we all have. It's not about the acts, so much as the ATTITUDE and MOTIVATION.

Have I accepted Paypal personal for items, and justified it? Of course I have. Do I do it any longer? No, not in a long, long time. Does that make me better than anyone? Of course not.

Does that mean I can't say "hey, folks, we ought not to be doing this?" No.

How will anyone know, if no one says anything?

99% of the PP transaction yearly I receive are normal and maybe 1-3 per year come in as personal. If that is stealing than I should be punished.

Why not make it 100%? You could, if you wanted to. You asked someone, just a week or so ago, for Paypal personal to pay for something (whether you sold it or not isn't relevant.)

I get sent Personal payment on a regular basis for goods and services. As my customers will attest, I refund them and ask them to re-send the regular way.

Again, does that make me better than anyone? No. But it's the right thing to do, so why not do it?

I guess everyone here declares all income and pays their taxes?

No, of course not.

But does that mean they shouldn't?

hm

So have you?

I think we all assuming from your high horse moral posts that you must account for every dollar right?

That you characterize someone who says "hey...let's not steal from somebody, or at the very least, if you are going to steal, call it what it is, and don't be a hypocrite about it" as "high horse moral posts" just shows how little you care.

My standards aren't high. Far from it. It's just that your standards are so low, mine appear high. And you complain when someone even SUGGESTS that we all do the right thing.

And yes, SOT, I account for every dollar, as much as I possibly can.

And who is "we"? Do you have multiple people in your head?

If not, who are you speaking for? Was there a board spokesman election I missed? If not, speak for yourself, and let everyone else speak for themselves.

Who is SOT?

That would be "Spiderman-on-Tilt", which was your former board name.

meh

More often than not every one here that has sold on the boards has received a PP Personal payment as well as most comic book dealers off the boards.

Are they immoral in your eyes?

Pay attention: everyone is immoral. Everyone has done wrong things. I have, you have, we all have. It's not about the acts, so much as the ATTITUDE and MOTIVATION.

Have I accepted Paypal personal for items, and justified it? Of course I have. Do I do it any longer? No, not in a long, long time. Does that make me better than anyone? Of course not.

Does that mean I can't say "hey, folks, we ought not to be doing this?" No.

How will anyone know, if no one says anything?

99% of the PP transaction yearly I receive are normal and maybe 1-3 per year come in as personal. If that is stealing than I should be punished.

Why not make it 100%? You could, if you wanted to. You asked someone, just a week or so ago, for Paypal personal to pay for something (whether you sold it or not isn't relevant.)

I get sent Personal payment on a regular basis for goods and services. As my customers will attest, I refund them and ask them to re-send the regular way.

Again, does that make me better than anyone? No. But it's the right thing to do, so why not do it?

I remember that SOT guy.

He was a no good PP personal accepting SOB. :slapfight:

No sir I don't like him.

I never lost one dollar from buying/selling on eBay from 1998-2003.

Congratulations! If that's true, you were very, very lucky.

How many transactions did you have on eBay from 1998-2003?

I had thousands.

Once PayPal became mandatory the fraud IMO got much, much worse.

And why do you believe that? Paypal ALLEVIATED a lot of the fraud, because now people weren't sending checks/MOs through the mail, just hoping that the other end would send what they promised, and that it would actually BE in the condition they claimed it was.

I once paid $250 for a Cerebus #1...turned out to be the counterfeit, which was NOT worth $250 at the time. Because of Paypal, I filed a chargeback and GOT MY MONEY BACK, whereas, if I had sent a check/MO, I would have been SOL. The seller was a blatant thief, who didn't give a flat damn that he sold the counterfeit. "Not my problem" he said.

"Watch this", I said.

And, for that, I am accused of "ripping off sellers on eBay." lol

With eBay's new return policy the Wild Wild West is back. Just you watch....

Doubt it. But, we shall see indeed.

I can't get beyond your endorsement of steroids. :insane:

Win at all costs.

I actually like Tom Brady now. (thumbs u

You think the same sports franchises win because they play fair? lol

Maybe I needed to put a condescending :o

;)

I live in a country where the favourite sport goes untested for steroids etc. works for me.

Why would they test for steroids in "Moose Mounting"?

When you do a google image search for "Moose Mounting" this is one of the things that turns up.

web_pages_i00007d.jpg

I have actively avoided googling "Moose Mounting" along with any alternate colors for waffles.

Took me a few minutes to see what you were talking about... but... I learned something new today!

I can't get beyond your endorsement of steroids. :insane:

Win at all costs.

I actually like Tom Brady now. (thumbs u

You think the same sports franchises win because they play fair? lol

Maybe I needed to put a condescending :o

;)

I live in a country where the favourite sport goes untested for steroids etc. works for me.

Why would they test for steroids in "Moose Mounting"?

When you do a google image search for "Moose Mounting" this is one of the things that turns up.

web_pages_i00007d.jpg

I have actively avoided googling "Moose Mounting" along with any alternate colors for waffles.

Took me a few minutes to see what you were talking about... but... I learned something new today!

My condolences. Judging by the reactions I've seen of those who made the same query, what is seen cannot be unseen. I have avoided the same fate.

I never lost one dollar from buying/selling on eBay from 1998-2003.

Congratulations! If that's true, you were very, very lucky.

How many transactions did you have on eBay from 1998-2003?

I had thousands.

Once PayPal became mandatory the fraud IMO got much, much worse.

And why do you believe that? Paypal ALLEVIATED a lot of the fraud, because now people weren't sending checks/MOs through the mail, just hoping that the other end would send what they promised, and that it would actually BE in the condition they claimed it was.

I once paid $250 for a Cerebus #1...turned out to be the counterfeit, which was NOT worth $250 at the time. Because of Paypal, I filed a chargeback and GOT MY MONEY BACK, whereas, if I had sent a check/MO, I would have been SOL. The seller was a blatant thief, who didn't give a flat damn that he sold the counterfeit. "Not my problem" he said.

"Watch this", I said.

And, for that, I am accused of "ripping off sellers on eBay." lol

With eBay's new return policy the Wild Wild West is back. Just you watch....

Doubt it. But, we shall see indeed.

Are you serious you don't see how eBay's new return policy will create fraud?

You don't think buyers will break CGC slabs on purpose to generate a free return slip?

I think a happy medium would make the most sense with eBay, while of course using PP has cut down on fraud it still as of today's date the sellers have more risk to sell than the buyer do in buying on eBay.

eBay is forcing sellers to now take returns on everything and everything.

You don't think a buyer that doesnt want the CGC book will just use the "item not as described category just to get a free prepaid return slip? All the while you are out return shipping cost (dont get me started on that since we dont even know what are return rate will cost us on the sellers ends) and a negative mark on your sellers performance.

Yup eBay is on the up and up.

Are you serious you don't see how eBay's new return policy will create fraud?

You don't think buyers will break CGC slabs on purpose to generate a free return slip?

I think a happy medium would make the most sense with eBay, while of course using PP has cut down on fraud it still as of today's date the sellers have more risk to sell than the buyer do in buying on eBay.

eBay is forcing sellers to now take returns on everything and everything.

You don't think a buyer that doesnt want the CGC book will just use the "item not as described category just to get a free prepaid return slip? All the while you are out return shipping cost (dont get me started on that since we dont even know what are return rate will cost us on the sellers ends) and a negative mark on your sellers performance.

Yup eBay is on the up and up.

Sigh.

Just because I said it was far worse in the olden days does NOT mean I think it is Utopian perfection now, or that I don't see the issues that could come up.

There will ALWAYS be fraud on eBay, SOT, ALWAYS. The point isn't that there won't be, but to both minimize it AND avoid the trap of justifying oneself into committing it, because that justification comes easily.

Will this new program increase the fraud on any noticeable level?

No.

The program you're talking about is already in place for many sellers. And the VAST majority of buyers on eBay are buying because...watch me now...they WANT THE ITEM.

So, yes, you'll maybe have to deal with a few bad apples who create problems. Ok, so? Comes with the territory. I just had someone return a slab because they didn't like CGC's grade. Not me, not anything I did. They cost me money, because they didn't agree with CGC's grade (which, by the way, was and remains perfectly fine. The guy didn't like two spine tics, one with a hint of CB, the other non-CB, perfectly acceptable in 9.8)

It happens.

The option you have is to not use eBay. You have plenty of venues you can choose, and if you think eBay is beyond your ability to use without compromise, don't use it.

The days of eBay being the only option, especially for someone with your resources, are over.

And, have you considered that because of these policies, eBay is actually a BETTER place to sell because of the assurances buyers have that they won't get screwed over? That they are willing to PAY MORE than they otherwise would, that sellers GET MORE MONEY because buyers are relatively assured they won't get defrauded?

I doubt it.

PS. If slabs are broken, that's what insurance is for. If the buyer wants to commit insurance fraud....that's on them, and they won't be able to do it for very long without the Postal Inspectors/Insurance Adjustors finding out.

So, we have concluded that we are all thieves? Are we all probation worthy?

meh

Did I miss the point again? :facepalm:

I thought the point was to own it.

Sarcasm advances the discussion well.

meh

Then what is the point?

Stealing was defined and generally accepted.

meh

Did I miss the point again? :facepalm:

I thought the point was to own it.

Sarcasm advances the discussion well.

meh

Then what is the point?

Stealing was defined and generally accepted.

It's an ongoing discussion. That's the point. SOT replies, I reply, SOT replies, etc. That's how it works.

You can only speak for yourself.

hm

Seems everyone in this thread is guilty of one thing or another.