• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Good thing that Symbiotic was going to take a few months off from selling on these boards.

Good luck to all the boardies who made purchases from that thread. :ohnoez:

I thought the same exact thing. And people were cheering on the sale that were involved in the discussions not too long ago.

doh!

What was the deal with him?

I know. Bosco said that. He PM'ed Arch.

I'm asking - was there ever a committee or a concerted, group effort to bring something concrete to the table. Something discussed, written out and presented in full.

Sharon discussed started a committee of sorts to try once more. Whatever came of that?

After reading Bosco's response, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Arch is the boss and his response in the past has been to sticky the fact that there IS a HOS list maintained by the community.

I don't want to rock the boat more because I don't want them to ditch the sales area.

His attitude has always been that people have to be responsible for themselves, hence the stickied note. It's there, people just have to read it instead of getting so excited about a bargain that they forget to be prudent.

I don't think that a pm welcoming someone to the boards and advising them to read the rules and the stickied notes would be in violation, but I don't think the John Wayne stuff is going to fly.

I do find it annoying that HOS people start threads. I think given our parameters we can solve that by not buying from them and not posting in their threads and bumping them. That way they just fall to the bottom of the page.

I don't let HOS or PL people buy from me.

Edited by skypinkblu

Which is kinda silly, since we're supposed to be policing the sales threads ourselves. At least, that's my understanding.

Policing sales threads requires a rule to be broken...otherwise, there's no policing to be done. HOS/PL sellers are not breaking any rules by starting sales threads, just like roofers who have BBB ratings of "D" aren't breaking any laws by continuing to advertise their roofing services.

This seems to sum up Arch's attitude.

My guess is, and it's just a guess...is that if they supported the HOS/PL list, the mods would have to oversee those lists and be involved to make sure they were correct...or something in that vein. Arch never gets so involved.

I know it's upsetting to see people run to make unwise purchases (took me a sec to figure out an unspoonable word;). However, it's not the MODs place to maintain the lists nor to teach people to use their brains before purchasing.

Good thing that Symbiotic was going to take a few months off from selling on these boards.

I thought the same exact thing. And people were cheering on the sale that were involved in the discussions not too long ago.

doh!

This, amongst other things but this was my involvement

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5810722#Post5810722

I know. Bosco said that. He PM'ed Arch.

I'm asking - was there ever a committee or a concerted, group effort to bring something concrete to the table. Something discussed, written out and presented in full.

Sharon discussed started a committee of sorts to try once more. Whatever came of that?

After reading Bosco's response, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Arch is the boss and his response in the past has been to sticky the fact that there IS a HOS list maintained by the community.

I don't want to rock the boat more because I don't want them to ditch the sales area.

His attitude has always been that people have to be responsible for themselves, hence the stickied note. It's there, people just have to read it instead of getting so excited about a bargain that they forget to be prudent.

I don't think that a pm welcoming someone to the boards and advising them to read the rules and the stickied notes would be in violation, but I don't think the John Wayne stuff is going to fly.

I do find it annoying that HOS people start threads. I think given our parameters we can solve that by not buying from them and not posting in their threads and bumping them. That way they just fall to the bottom of the page.

I don't let HOS or PL people buy from me.

Skypinkblu is right. Arch's stance was that the alerts at the top of each sales board are enough for forumites to do their own research.

I'm not saying I agree with it. And I would be open to join a small group to propose to the mods a simple, non-attacking message that could be used one time per situation to notify other forumites of a person's HOS-PL status.

We are already allowed to post a templated message when someone is not following the guidelines. Why would it be excessive to have a small message that assists in policing ourselves? Otherwise, the mods are making it tougher to accomplish this if HOS and PL members can start a sales thread with all the protection afforded non-list members.

And the current alert starts to blend in with the forum layout after a while, losing its intended purpose.

144419.png.ef8ec6f99d1f0b35daf4c29aa162bf94.png

I'd say that alert we have now is next to useless. It looks like boring Boards boilerplate, as relevant as the list of mods at to bottom of every page, or the number of nanoseconds the page took to render.

Exactly!

Having something to-the-point that someone is an HOS-PL member would be less than confrontational as long as it isn't followed up with continued attacks in a sales thread.

I'd say that alert we have now is next to useless. It looks like boring Boards boilerplate, as relevant as the list of mods at to bottom of every page, or the number of nanoseconds the page took to render.

Exactly!

Having something to-the-point that someone is an HOS-PL member would be less than confrontational as long as it isn't followed up with continued attacks in a sales thread.

Yeah, if only it hadn't already been shot down. I agree with every stance the mods have taken around our ability/responsibility to police ourselves, except the prohibition against noting that a seller is on one of the lists. You talked to them about it Bosco, did you get the sense they might change their minds?

Yeah, if only it hadn't already been shot down. I agree with every stance the mods have taken around our ability/responsibility to police ourselves, except the prohibition against noting that a seller is on one of the lists. You talked to them about it Bosco, did you get the sense they might change their minds?

Without going too far and posting their Private Messages, CCGMod0 had planned on running it by their committee once I explained what it was related to. But then Arch must have logged in, saw the request, and pointed out that the Board Guidelines are meant to tell people to do their research in advance and posting a message in a thread like this would be disruptive.

So nothing where anyone was overly upset about the topic. Just matter-of-fact there are means for people to know about the HOS-PL and the usernames on that list.

Without going too far and posting their Private Messages, CCGMod0 had planned on running it by their committee once I explained what it was related to. But then Arch must have logged in, saw the request, and pointed out that the Board Guidelines are meant to tell people to do their research in advance and posting a message in a thread like this would be disruptive.

So nothing where anyone was overly upset about the topic. Just matter-of-fact there are means for people to know about the HOS-PL and the usernames on that list.

Did you reply to arch?

Did you reply to arch?

I did try the 'Pretty Woman' line.

Very well, sir. You're… not only handsome, but a powerful man. I could see the second you walked in here, you were someone to reckon with…

It didn't work.

I did post a follow-up message asking more questions, and Arch stuck to his guns. He feels the Board Guidelines are enough of an alert.

doh!

changing sales rules mid-transaction, shills Ebay sales

Just a thought from a noob.

There will most likely be no changes from reading through this thread but what about the suggestion that since the information/warning looks so much like the boards post that it receive O I dunno a different font or coloring scheme, a different border something that draws the attention to it.

Can we start a new (noob?) thread, strictly dedicated to endless discussions of how to improve the system?

What would be left in this thread, then? Endless complaints about what's going on in the marketplace (with no solutions being discussed, mind you) and funny memes? Doesn't sound very interesting. Although I must agree with you that endless discussion of solutions without ever seeing any of them pushed through to implementation is equally :frustrated: .

Can we start a new (noob?) thread, strictly dedicated to endless discussions of how to improve the system?

What would be left in this thread, then? Endless complaints about what's going on in the marketplace (with no solutions being discussed, mind you) and funny memes? Doesn't sound very interesting. Although I must agree with you that endless discussion of solutions without ever seeing any of them pushed through to implementation is equally :frustrated: .

This thread serves for people to ask questions about how to set up/run sales threads, how to handle certain weird situations that pop up, and (my favorite) a safe platform to kvetch about crappy threads without threadcrapping them.

And dude, if you're feeling the frustration after almost 12 months (hey, happy anniversary! :headbang:), try five or ten years!! doh!

doh!

Are you referring to the seller, Symbiotic?

Or are you referring to the cheerleader who was posting suggestions on how to shut this seller down and telling the seller in colorful terms to leave and that nobody wanted his "stuff"?