• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if CGC grades coverless books with repro covers as strict NGs or do they consider the repro cover as restoration? This isn't about a sales thread; just asking for my own benefit.

They actually changed their grading policy on this a couple years ago. Old way - comic and repro cover get an apparent grade purple label; new way - NG.

So, there are slabs out there with apparent grades on them with repro cover/coverless comics inside. Buyer beware!

Does anyone know if CGC grades coverless books with repro covers as strict NGs or do they consider the repro cover as restoration? This isn't about a sales thread; just asking for my own benefit.

They actually changed their grading policy on this a couple years ago. Old way - comic and repro cover get an apparent grade purple label; new way - NG.

So, there are slabs out there with apparent grades on them with repro cover/coverless comics inside. Buyer beware!

Thanks for the info. :)

Just an observation, similar to ones others have made about other cases: To the extent that people actually read the Probation Thread -- which is, admittedly, probably limited -- why would a seller want to broadcast widely to potential buyers that he intends to hound a buyer who wants to back out of a deal when a book turns out to have an undisclosed defect?

It appears as if the seller got what we wanted by using the threat of adding the buyer to the PL, but I have a suspicion that more people reading about that incident are going to think "No way in hell I would buy a book from this seller" than would think "No way in hell I will sell a book to this buyer."

I would think a guy who is a pretty active seller on the boards would value his reputation more than the few extra thousands he extracted from the buyer as a result of bringing this issue to the Probation Thread.

But as usual, maybe I just don't know nuttin'! :D

Hey Ryan, just got off the phone with CGC. She said that it would get a .5 incomplete and they suggest instead just sending it in without the repro. Hope that helps :)

Hey Ryan, just got off the phone with CGC. She said that it would get a .5 incomplete and they suggest instead just sending it in without the repro. Hope that helps :)

Really? hm I feel like I've seen coverless books with NGs.

Hmm Maybe I misrepresented. I told her that I have a coverless book with an ATTACHED professional repro cover. Maybe that is the distinction?

Oh maybe. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of repro covers but they do make fugly coverless copies look a whole lot more respectable.

Hmm Maybe I misrepresented. I told her that I have a coverless book with an ATTACHED professional repro cover. Maybe that is the distinction?

Oh maybe. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of repro covers but they do make fugly coverless copies look a whole lot more respectable.

Why send to CGC? Mylar + Repo Cover = :cloud9:

Just an observation, similar to ones others have made about other cases: To the extent that people actually read the Probation Thread -- which is, admittedly, probably limited -- why would a seller want to broadcast widely to potential buyers that he intends to hound a buyer who wants to back out of a deal when a book turns out to have an undisclosed defect?

It appears as if the seller got what we wanted by using the threat of adding the buyer to the PL, but I have a suspicion that more people reading about that incident are going to think "No way in hell I would buy a book from this seller" than would think "No way in hell I will sell a book to this buyer."

I would think a guy who is a pretty active seller on the boards would value his reputation more than the few extra thousands he extracted from the buyer as a result of bringing this issue to the Probation Thread.

I think you do know a thing or two.

+1

+1

+2

Did anyone see this?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7399107#Post7399107

just curious what the group thought?

I think we need to report threads that do not "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books".

There are too many people popping up with "Selling X Big Ticket Book" and then they leave it at that, and then post an image (or not) much later.

Did anyone see this?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7399107#Post7399107

I think we need to report threads that do not "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books".

There are too many people popping up with "Selling X Big Ticket Book" and then they leave it at that, and then post an image (or not) much later.

In light of recent events I could see how you would feel that way, but Gambit did it correctly, his takeit was pending pics.

My question was more to the second buyer who posted his :takeit: if Gambit passed but it turns out he didn't win the item. Hadn't seen that before.

Did anyone see this?

If I had to guess.....he got a higher offer via PM 2c

It is stated clearly in his rules that the first :takeit: wins. The only way to beat Wipples :takeit: would have been to post the sale via PM with an earlier date stamp which is clearly not the case.

1) I've seen the :takeit: if so and so passes posted several times, usually when someone posts a pending take it. Don't think there is any issue with it especially when dealing with a thread without pics. (though there have been many discussion about whether you can trump a pending take it with an unconditional take it.

2) The real issue here seems to be that even though :takeit: was supposed to be king, and wipple threw it out hours before the "sold via PM" he didn't get the book. Now this of course could be cleared up by showing a PM timestamped with a takeit before wipple's. Absent that well....

3) Either Casey is correct that he got a higher offer OR he saw the feeding frenzy on the book (two take its plus several PM offers, figured he under priced it (he did) and wanted to pull out.