• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Variants

22 posts in this topic

Are there any SW variants worth picking up for long term? My LCS has a short box full of them, from the initial run to current. Lots of the off series like Han solo, Poe, Leia etc

The only obvious one to me is Vader 3, anyone else have any picks I should look for?

It was limited to just 1 per store, not that it makes it super limited, but I've been keeping tabs on it from time to time since its release and high grade copies appear to be sorta HTF.  And it's a book that doesn't command a lot of money (yet? if ever?).  I have her down as a low spec book atm.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

25 minutes ago, obsidian00 said:

Cool never seen this one before...reminds me of the directors cut.  Now you have me thinking hm

Its also worth mentioning that this is the first appearance of the new marvel Star Wars #1 as it came out weeks before the official Star Wars #1 and was used as a way to offer retailers a preview of the series while trying to convince retailers to order more copies.

7 hours ago, Comicbookscalping said:

Its also worth mentioning that this is the first appearance of the new marvel Star Wars #1 as it came out weeks before the official Star Wars #1 and was used as a way to offer retailers a preview of the series while trying to convince retailers to order more copies.

This comic was given 2 per store (not 1) and was sent as a thank you to stores for the success of Star Wars #1.  It was most definitely sent after retailers already ordered Star Wars #1 and retailers did not receive this earlier than their orders for Star Wars #1.  (In fact, I believe it was sent to retailers a few weeks after Star Wars #1 arrived at retailers.)

These articles talks about the 2 per store ratio (and other articles also mention the same thing):

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/11/all-the-star-wars-1-variant-covers-we-can-find-in-one-place-45-so-far-42-pictured-including-stan-sakai/

http://www.rebelscum.com/jedijournals/issue.asp?id=ISU4807

This listing on Amazon shows the reason for the premiere comics being sent out:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Premiere-Variant-Comic/dp/B00SGH9GY0

Marvel has sent similar premiere variants for subsequent Star Wars titles as a thank you to retailers.

Edited by rjrjr

On 3/9/2017 at 0:41 PM, Chadwick said:

Are there any SW variants worth picking up for long term? My LCS has a short box full of them, from the initial run to current. Lots of the off series like Han solo, Poe, Leia etc

The only obvious one to me is Vader 3, anyone else have any picks I should look for?

If sales for Doctor Aphra keep going down (it was the worst selling 3rd and 4th issue of a Star Wars title since Marvel's relaunch outside of The Force Awakens #3 and 4 which are movie adaptation comics) I wouldn't put too much stock into Doctor Aphra's first appearance.  It is another character whose sales do not support the perceived popularity of this character.  Unless this character appears in a movie, I don't see much mobility for Darth Vader #3 after this character's title is cancelled later this year.

My gut tells me the following Star Wars comics will be the long term winners:

• Poe Dameron #1 Calgary Expo exclusive
  • Poe Dameron #1 My Geek Box (Pepe Larraz) exclusive
  • Star Wars #1 C2E2 exclusive (Luke Skywalker action figure sketch cover)
  • and the 2 obvious ones, Vader Down #1 and C-3PO Special #1 ridiculous ratio'd variants

I think these will at least maintain their already depressed values:

• Star Wars #1 and Chewbacca #1 Alex Ross variant covers (both color and b&w versions have nostalgic appeal)

And, not surprisingly, some of the harder to find "variants" for modern Star Wars comics are actually some of the later 2nd prints:

• Obi-Wan & Anakin #2 (2nd print)

While it is not worth anything, try finding that issue on eBay.

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by rjrjr

15 hours ago, rjrjr said:

This comic was given 2 per store (not 1) and was sent as a thank you to stores for the success of Star Wars #1.  It was most definitely sent after retailers already ordered Star Wars #1 and retailers did not receive this earlier than their orders for Star Wars #1.  (In fact, I believe it was sent to retailers a few weeks after Star Wars #1 arrived at retailers.)

These articles talks about the 2 per store ratio (and other articles also mention the same thing):

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/11/all-the-star-wars-1-variant-covers-we-can-find-in-one-place-45-so-far-42-pictured-including-stan-sakai/

http://www.rebelscum.com/jedijournals/issue.asp?id=ISU4807

This listing on Amazon shows the reason for the premiere comics being sent out:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Premiere-Variant-Comic/dp/B00SGH9GY0

Marvel has sent similar premiere variants for subsequent Star Wars titles as a thank you to retailers.

If it was sent after retailers received there copies of Star Wars #1 - why are all of the copies personalized for the stores they were given out to?

I was incorrect stores did receive two copies of this book but ONLY if they signed up for the Marvel Star Wars in store launch party. So many stores didn't receive any copies. We're talking about a time when Dark Horse had just launched a Star Wars #1 and it was one of the first time comic book stores could carry a star wars title that sold well in comparison to super hero books.  - These books were mailed by Marvel, not shipped through Diamond, and arrived in store before the release date of issue #1 so they would be on hand for the Marvel Star Wars Day launch party - January 17 2015. Since the book was released on January 15 some stores could have received there copies between the 15 and 17. I know the store I worked at, at the time, got them one to two weeks prior. But what would I know?

EDIT:

Also here's an article I wrote on January 4, 2015 showing an image that would indicate people, on January 4, had copies in hand.

https://comicbookscalping.com/2015/01/04/week-of-january-3-star-wars-woman-of-marvel-movement/

Also notice in the comments a retailer talking about how they had received there copies already. The comment was made on January 4 2015.

Edited by Comicbookscalping

5 hours ago, Comicbookscalping said:

If it was sent after retailers received there copies of Star Wars #1 - why are all of the copies personalized for the stores they were given out to?

I was incorrect stores did receive two copies of this book but ONLY if they signed up for the Marvel Star Wars in store launch party. So many stores didn't receive any copies. We're talking about a time when Dark Horse had just launched a Star Wars #1 and it was one of the first time comic book stores could carry a star wars title that sold well in comparison to super hero books.  - These books were mailed by Marvel, not shipped through Diamond, and arrived in store before the release date of issue #1 so they would be on hand for the Marvel Star Wars Day launch party - January 17 2015. Since the book was released on January 15 some stores could have received there copies between the 15 and 17. I know the store I worked at, at the time, got them one to two weeks prior. But what would I know?

EDIT:

Also here's an article I wrote on January 4, 2015 showing an image that would indicate people, on January 4, had copies in hand.

https://comicbookscalping.com/2015/01/04/week-of-january-3-star-wars-woman-of-marvel-movement/

Also notice in the comments a retailer talking about how they had received there copies already. The comment was made on January 4 2015.

Why would Marvel be unable to personalize copies after Diamond shipped Star Wars #1 to retailers?  I believe you that some stores receiving their copies a week or two earlier than the Star Wars #1 launch and the article's date is a good reference for this.  I was wrong.  But I do know some stores received their copies up to a few weeks afterward.  It makes sense since, as you mentioned, Marvel personalized and mailed these out to stores.

Wasn't the Star Wars launch party on January 14th when Star Wars #1 went on sale?

I thought the Star War #1 party variant with the Jaxxon cover (both the order-able copy and the  1 or 2 per store sketch variant) were the books that were sent for the launch party.  The premiere variant was sent as a thank you to retailers and wasn't limited to stores that had a launch party, but the Jaxxon sketch variant was.

I'm questioning the reason you give that the Star Wars premiere variant was sent and your assertion that only stores participating in a launch party received them.  It was already known that Star Wars #1 sales were strong before these were mailed to retailers and it was clearly indicated they were sent as a thank you to retailers for making Star Wars #1 the most successful comic launch in years.  (Even your January 4th article says this.)  The Jaxxon standard and sketch variants were the books sent for the launch party and I can see Marvel limiting the sketch variants to only stores that signed up for the launch party.

Are you maybe mixing up these different books?

Edited by rjrjr

16 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Why would Marvel be unable to personalize copies after Diamond shipped Star Wars #1 to retailers?  I believe you that some stores receiving their copies a week or two earlier than the Star Wars #1 launch and the article's date is a good reference for this.  I was wrong.  But I do know some stores received their copies up to a few weeks afterward.  It makes sense since, as you mentioned, Marvel personalized and mailed these out to stores.

Wasn't the Star Wars launch party on January 14th when Star Wars #1 went on sale?

I thought the Star War #1 party variant with the Jaxxon cover (both the order-able copy and the  1 or 2 per store sketch variant) were the books that were sent for the launch party.  The premiere variant was sent as a thank you to retailers and wasn't limited to stores that had a launch party, but the Jaxxon sketch variant was.

I'm questioning the reason you give that the Star Wars premiere variant was sent and your assertion that only stores participating in a launch party received them.  It was already known that Star Wars #1 sales were strong before these were mailed to retailers and it was clearly indicated they were sent as a thank you to retailers for making Star Wars #1 the most successful comic launch in years.  (Even your January 4th article says this.)  The Jaxxon standard and sketch variants were the books sent for the launch party and I can see Marvel limiting the sketch variants to only stores that signed up for the launch party.

Comics.org says it was only given to stores that had the star wars day party.
The Star Wars day party was for the saturday after release and not the date of release.
Here is the comic.org link -https://www.comics.org/issue/1325152/

I'm not sure of the details for the Jaxxon cover, I do recall certain stores not getting copies of the premier edition and I also remember that those stores did not have any star wars day celebration for the release.

If stores received copies before January 13 - like January 4 - like the comment poster on that earlier linked post states - this is the first appearance of the New Star Wars series.

Where am I getting that they were mailed by marvel and not diamond? Personal experience with this particular book. And No it was not known that all Star Wars book would sell well. Dark Horse's Star Wars #1 launch was big, as big as a star wars comic book title had ever been. And the marvel launch came very close after this launch. Within two years. Many stores did not feel comfortable ordering high, sure the big stores ordered high - but many mom and pop comic book stores (they still exist) were afraid to order heavy on Star Wars. Looking back I'm sure they regret it but this is what happened.

50 minutes ago, Comicbookscalping said:

Comics.org says it was only given to stores that had the star wars day party.
The Star Wars day party was for the saturday after release and not the date of release.
Here is the comic.org link -https://www.comics.org/issue/1325152/

I'm not sure of the details for the Jaxxon cover, I do recall certain stores not getting copies of the premier edition and I also remember that those stores did not have any star wars day celebration for the release.

If stores received copies before January 13 - like January 4 - like the comment poster on that earlier linked post states - this is the first appearance of the New Star Wars series.

Where am I getting that they were mailed by marvel and not diamond? Personal experience with this particular book. And No it was not known that all Star Wars book would sell well. Dark Horse's Star Wars #1 launch was big, as big as a star wars comic book title had ever been. And the marvel launch came very close after this launch. Within two years. Many stores did not feel comfortable ordering high, sure the big stores ordered high - but many mom and pop comic book stores (they still exist) were afraid to order heavy on Star Wars. Looking back I'm sure they regret it but this is what happened.

Comic.org is wrong.

The Star Wars launch party was January 14th (here is the press release from Diamond):

https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/158533-Star-Wars-1-Launch-Party-at-Your-Local-Comic-Shop

The premiere was sent as a thank you to retailers.  The Jaxxon party variants were sent for the launch party.

I never questioned your saying Marvel mailed out the premiere variant.  In fact, it accounts for why retailers received their books at different times.  (Some before January 14th and some after January 14th.)

It was known as early as December 10th that Star Wars had sold over 1 million copies:

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/09/confirmed-marvels-star-wars-1-to-sell-over-one-million-copies/

So, retailers were plenty confident in this book well before the book's release.  And despite the huge numbers, Marvel still went back to print 6 more times on Star Wars #1!

Edited by rjrjr

On 3/11/2017 at 6:02 PM, Davidone said:

Anyone read rjrjr 's Star Wars comic blog? It's pretty amazing.

Yes I read it, he does a lot of work on it, and to quote someone we know "Impressive.  Most impressive."