• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel 'L Miller & Co' UK Distribution Variants (May 1960 ~ September 1961)
5 5

189 posts in this topic

The picture in From The Tomb is much clearer, and you can actually see 'Miller & Co Wholesale Book Sellers / Publishers' in the windows:

1064654340_342-344MillerClearer.thumb.jpg.b1a8443a4dac3bb3b5727a8e96c0f4c8.jpg

The rest of the article is very much focussed on Miller's reprint activity as expected. I'm constantly surprised by how little - virtually nothing, in fact - is ever mentioned about their distribution of the Marvel UK variants of this thread, their Charlton UK Price Variants and also their distribution in the UK of Archie, Harvey and IW original US comics. Those aspects appear to have been completely overlooked in all the records I have seen whether online or in print. I'm pleased though that any Google searches now bring up my research here which, I think, helps complete the picture in respect of all Miller's UK based comic activities. 

Regarding "their distribution in the UK" I wonder what area of the country they covered? The fact that they were competing with T&P and no doubt newsagents would only need one company or the other perhaps Miller concentrated on London and the south. That would explain why I never ever saw any Harvey or Archie comics in my neck of the woods (the Midlands) in the 1960s or any Charltons until Miller closed down and T&P began distributing them. I did often see Miller's own comic books (probably remaindered stock) whenever on holiday at the coast be it East coast or West Wales from 1964 right up to the late 1960s. Bought some "new" Marvelmans. Mystics etc from a spinner rack in 1967.

19 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Regarding "their distribution in the UK" I wonder what area of the country they covered? The fact that they were competing with T&P and no doubt newsagents would only need one company or the other perhaps Miller concentrated on London and the south. That would explain why I never ever saw any Harvey or Archie comics in my neck of the woods (the Midlands) in the 1960s or any Charltons until Miller closed down and T&P began distributing them. I did often see Miller's own comic books (probably remaindered stock) whenever on holiday at the coast be it East coast or West Wales from 1964 right up to the late 1960s. Bought some "new" Marvelmans. Mystics etc from a spinner rack in 1967.

Being too young - I'm only 24 - I don't have any personal recollections to draw upon, but the handful of dealers that I have asked believed the early (LM) Charltons at least were only distributed in certain parts of the country. With their premises being in Hackney, you might imagine London would be one of them, but the opposite seems to be the case if their anecdotal recollections are anything to go by. I'd love to know more.

Why did Len get to import the likes of Pep whilst T&P were selling The Fly and the Jaguar produced by essentially the same company. And why did Len get his hands on a small selection of Marvel/Atlas westerns (and oddly Amazing Adventures)?  Perhaps because he'd previously produced his own versions of some of those titles?

Pep 162.jpg

14 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Why did Len get to import the likes of Pep whilst T&P were selling The Fly and the Jaguar produced by essentially the same company. And why did Len get his hands on a small selection of Marvel/Atlas westerns (and oddly Amazing Adventures)?  Perhaps because he'd previously produced his own versions of some of those titles?

Pep 162.jpg

I added that Pep to the files yesterday - came up in my eBay searches Robot.

I have as many Miller stamped Archie examples in the files as I do T&P - they seemed to share them:

624473846_1962.03BettyVeronica75LMStamp.thumb.jpg.46ceb6e41ec79ce71ba48d5537d58402.jpg29770129_1962.03TheJaguar52TPStamp.thumb.jpg.62fdb74b85ac16f3bbbc3439433c340c.jpg

If you don't mind @themagicrobot, post any more thoughts over at the general UK Distribution Review thread - I'd like to keep this one to the Marvel variants only (thumbsu

On 4/4/2020 at 11:25 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

My latest addition to the Miller pot is Gunsmoke Western #61.

Anyone notice how those pesky Miller people have forced the printers to move the whole inside front cover up by a whole quarter of an inch, to make room for the info at the bottom?

Just hope they didn't miss their tea break with all the extra work.

Don't suppose it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but I can't help wondering whether they had to do the same for the inside back cover.

50 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Anyone notice how those pesky Miller people have forced the printers to move the whole inside front cover up by a whole quarter of an inch, to make room for the info at the bottom?

Just hope they didn't miss their tea break with all the extra work.

Don't suppose it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but I can't help wondering whether they had to do the same for the inside back cover.

Some of the ones in the middle of the run had a lickle nudge upwards Albert, yes. The early ones needed no nudging of course, as the US indicia details were kicked off to make way for the Miller distribution blurb. The later ones had such a small Miller data line that they didn't need much of a rejig at all. Hardly noticeable given the fairly uneven cuts of the day. Same with the Porter & Thorpes.

Back covers? Look in your Wyatt. You'll see...

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Some of the ones in the middle of the run had a lickle nudge upwards Albert, yes. The early ones needed no nudging of course, as the US indicia details were kicked off to make way for the Miller distribution blurb. The later ones had such a small Miller data line that they didn't need much of a rejig at all. Hardly noticeable given the fairly uneven cuts of the day. Same with the Porter & Thorpes.

Back covers? Look in your Wyatt. You'll see...

But I don't have a cents Wyatt to compare it with. Now my curiosity may never be satisfied.

18 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

But I don't have a cents Wyatt to compare it with. Now my curiosity may never be satisfied.

Then there's only one thing left to do Albert.

Tomorrow, at the start of the new day, I will open my Miller / cents combos and compare them! 

13 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Above and beyond the call of duty!

A bit late, Albert, but we aim to please. And besides, you've got me intrigued.

I'm going to dig out these two...

1506606498_GunsmokeWestern6110cLM-CNov60.thumb.jpg.efcadefd26b26eea7b51b1f87280be8a.jpg474410392_GunsmokeWestern6110cLM-INov60.thumb.jpg.9d62756f67bc10ecb2a2764d28e174ff.jpg

243361764_GunsmokeWestern6110cUS-CNov60.thumb.jpg.9249a94a4a28607882f88c5646d37fa1.jpg1536028625_GunsmokeWestern6110cUS-INov60.thumb.jpg.7d3a00a5b1bb0009faa05c225ea13859.jpg

... and see if the back internal covers are the same or whether the Miller one is in a higher position than the US copy in line with the front interior.

Both copies have similar front cover positioning yet the Miller interior is clearly raised to accommodate the Miller blurb when compared to the non-Miller copy. The back interior will either be raised as well, or in the same position as the US copy in which case the printers would only have raised the one page.

Won't be long...

Albert, you are a man of rare insight and nuance!

Internal front covers - the Miller copy advert & US indicia details are raised to accommodate the Miller distribution blurb:

185256334_GWInternalFrontCovers-MillerUS.thumb.jpg.3d4f2a4cdc7c7a5b2b88fa5b92bcb07e.jpg

Internal back covers - same position!

1102868768_GWInternalBackCovers-MillerUS.thumb.jpg.16ad6212a1f55656bddd7cb3b3725d32.jpg

:headbang:

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Is that a typo for nuisance?

I'm pleased to be able to laugh at that comment, Albert. It's been a long day my flat-capped friend....

10 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not sure if this stamp has turned up previously?

comicaa42.jpg

No, I don't think I've seen that one before Albert. Funny little thing isn't it. Like a T&P stamp minus the number and with a smaller price font that is not dissimilar to the early printed UKPV prices.

Is it a Miller indicia copy?

37 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

comicaa43 (2).jpg

Look everyone! It's a Miller!

Capture.PNG.646662ba5ad7a4c298504d929e606c3f.PNG

I'd love to run through your collection Albert. I bet there's some gems hiding in there.