• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a good comic book writer?

73 posts in this topic

Number one is create characters people care about.  This is accomplished by making the character care about something.  The jaded character that doesn't care about anything seems to be in vogue, and he's boring.  Characters that don't care about anything are the easiest to write, and a sure sign of a weak writer.  Not only can't he write character, but he's doing what everyone else is doing.

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.18.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.18.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.02.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.17.46 PM.png

Edited by kav

1. Imagination Seeing the same thing that everyone else sees, but seeing it differently, and interestingly. Brubaker, Claremont, Byrne, Moore, they brought such newness to characters that had been around for decades.

2. Ability to create and show inner conflict, including interpersonal conflicts between characters that reveal or symbolize inner conflicts within each of the characters. 

3. Mastery and command of expression, thought, word and idea. Especially for comicbook writers - they must be as efficient and yet expressive in word as possible. Every single sentence is necessary and advances the storyline or character development (not counting the "POW! and "THWUMP!" as actually writing here). Again, Claremont, Moore, Miller.. masters of storytelling and ideas. 

4. Anticipation without loss of momentum. The storyline must flow and carry well and not be cut too short nor drag out. BKV is good at that. Hard to do when you're looking at too many crossovers or reboots.

Also a sense of humor, gritty gets old like you said, all dark all the time, boring. I also look for multiple levels of meanings to stories, I like sci-fi stories that way. 

7 hours ago, jcjames said:

1. Imagination Seeing the same thing that everyone else sees, but seeing it differently, and interestingly. Brubaker, Claremont, Byrne, Moore, they brought such newness to characters that had been around for decades.

2. Ability to create and show inner conflict, including interpersonal conflicts between characters that reveal or symbolize inner conflicts within each of the characters. 

3. Mastery and command of expression, thought, word and idea. Especially for comicbook writers - they must be as efficient and yet expressive in word as possible. Every single sentence is necessary and advances the storyline or character development (not counting the "POW! and "THWUMP!" as actually writing here). Again, Claremont, Moore, Miller.. masters of storytelling and ideas. 

4. Anticipation without loss of momentum. The storyline must flow and carry well and not be cut too short nor drag out. BKV is good at that. Hard to do when you're looking at too many crossovers or reboots.

Also a sense of humor, gritty gets old like you said, all dark all the time, boring. I also look for multiple levels of meanings to stories, I like sci-fi stories that way. 

well said. I will add:

5. to be able to turn the ordinary into something extraordinary through the use of words.

Example: From an issue of Daredevil written by one of my favorite writers Frank Miller. The Avengers arrive on the scene, and in just 2 panels Miller creates the fantastic with the dialogue of Captain America. I absolutely love this.

Captain america.jpg

On 3/11/2017 at 12:52 AM, kav said:

Number one is create characters people care about.  This is accomplished by making the character care about something.  The jaded character that doesn't care about anything seems to be in vogue, and he's boring.  Characters that don't care about anything are the easiest to write, and a sure sign of a weak writer.  Not only can't he write character, but he's doing what everyone else is doing.

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.18.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.18.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.02.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.17.46 PM.png

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

well said. I will add:

5. to be able to turn the ordinary into something extraordinary through the use of words.

Example: From an issue of Daredevil written by one of my favorite writers Frank Miller. The Avengers arrive on the scene, and in just 2 panels Miller creates the fantastic with the dialogue of Captain America. I absolutely love this.

Captain america.jpg

what book is this-I have to get it.

27 minutes ago, kav said:

what book is this-I have to get it.

Hey Kav,

it is from Daredevil 233. I recommend picking up the TPB Daredevil Born Again, or if you prefer the actual comics buy Daredevil 227-233 to get the full story as it is fantastic. In my opinion it is far better than Miller's first Daredevil run.

The run is easily found in dollar bins at comic shows.

9 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Hey Kav,

it is from Daredevil 233. I recommend picking up the TPB Daredevil Born Again, or if you prefer the actual comics buy Daredevil 227-233 to get the full story as it is fantastic. In my opinion it is far better than Miller's first Daredevil run.

The run is easily found in dollar bins at comic shows.

this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daredevil-Born-Again-Graphic-Novel-tpb-OOP-Frank-Miller-Best-Daredevil-Story-Evr/283388681927?hash=item41fb481ec7:g:vdMAAOSwMmNcbeyB:rk:11:pf:0

35 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

yep

Just bought it.  Also called my buddy that owns the store to let him know his employee completely ignored me as I stood there staring at him for 4 minutes needing help while he played Magic.  My buddy was not amused.  I'm his secret shopper.

Edited by kav

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Just bought it.  Also called my buddy that owns the store to let him know his employee completely ignored me as I stood there staring at him for 4 minutes needing help while he played Magic.  My buddy was not amused.  I'm his secret shopper.

you wont regret the purchase. The entire story is fantastic, it is Miller's best writing in my opinion.

One thing I am not sure of, is if that TPB contains the Nuke storyline from issues 232, 233. The Born Again story is Daredevil 227-231.

I have this TPB which is a reprint of the one you bought and mine includes the 232, 233.

DD Born Again.jpg

To the question at hand, I say you have to have deep respect and understanding of the work that came before you.  You need to know what the medium is capable of, and be able to offer something we havent seen before.  It's even harder to take over an existing title.  We are all experts when it comes to our favorite characters.  Readers will know if the character doesnt speak or react the way he's supposed to.

To me it's all about pacing. Hook the reader on the first page and hook them again on the last page. You have to write by the page, and then by the issue, and then by the arc. Each page should be turned at a moment that feels fluid to keep you in the story without jarring you. Each issue should end making you want the next. Each story should resolve at whatever rate your trades are put out, every 4-6 issues I guess. Maybe more for the indies.

A good writer makes you feel a series is going somewhere.   You can't wait for the next issue to come out.  The characters each seem to have a different voice.  There are new ideas, and a coherent plot.  Some good examples include JLA: The Obsidian Age, John Byrne's run on West Coast Avengers, Batman: Hush, and Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel.

Conversely, some examples of bad writing would include:

- Grant Morrison's Nameless: issue 1 is full of brilliant concepts.  By issue 3, the plot is incomprehensible.  I can't care about the story or characters if I don't understand what's going on.

- Jeff Lemire's New 52 Animal Man and Swamp Thing: both series started well, and Lemire beautifully wove them together as the red and green avatars fought the blackness of rot.   But after 6 months of of descending into the rot to fight a battle that was not going anywhere, I got the impression he really didn't have an ending in mind for this story, and I bailed.  

Edited by Phicks

Plot should merely be a vehicle for interesting characters.  Characters make the story.  You can have an elaborate plot with exploding planets and space battles but its a yawner.  Conversely a well written character who is just trying to obtain a bottle of mouthwash for a first date can be riveting.  Plot heavy writing is the main mistake bad writers make.  Think of your favorite movie or book-its the character that makes it so.