• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a good comic book writer?

73 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kav said:

As far as screenplay writer's definition, a plot has a goal and an obstacle.  There was nothing like that in breakfast club.  Keep in mind a story is different from a plot.  Breakfast club had a story.  If you google 'movies without a plot' you will see breakfast club right there along with Dazed and Confused and Slacker.

TV shows too!

"It's a show about NOTHING!" :D

11 minutes ago, jcjames said:

TV shows too!

"It's a show about NOTHING!" :D

The most successful sitcom of all time had no plot but the characters were interesting.  Sitcoms typically have a plot and a 'lesson' at the end.

The plot of Dazed And Confused was the freshmen didn’t want to get paddled, the seniors wanted to paddle them. 

Every episode of Seinfeld had a plot. They want soup, the soup Nazi won’t give it to them. Jerry wants an apartment, but so do all his friends. 

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

The plot of Dazed And Confused was the freshmen didn’t want to get paddled, the seniors wanted to paddle them. 

Every episode of Seinfeld had a plot. They want soup, the soup Nazi won’t give it to them. Jerry wants an apartment, but so do all his friends. 

I guess thats right about seinfeld.  Never saw dazed and confused are you saying the entire film was him avoiding a paddling?

American Graffiti is another film without a plot.  Some of the characters had a motivation-not all-for example Milner had none.   but that doesnt equal a plot for the entire film.  

2 hours ago, dupont2005 said:
10 hours ago, 500Club said:

Yeah. This.

At some point, if a story means something, or has an impact, the character(s) have left an impression with the viewe/reader..  Once the reader feels this, the creator and the project has hooked the viewer.  There’s an emotional commitment.  The fan connects with the character, understands their motivation and their viewpoint, and is emotionally invested in the outcome.

Ultimately, every great story allows you to see some of yourself in the main characters, and allows you to relate to how you (or someone you can visualize) would react in that situation.

Breaking Bad?

Are you asking how a viewer would relate to Walter, et al?

1 minute ago, 500Club said:

Yeah pretty much. I remember when the show was airing that was the most common criticism. They couldn’t relate to Walter or sympathize with him. He became a monster, which was the point. Showed a good mans descent into evil. But it was still very good

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Yeah pretty much. I remember when the show was airing that was the most common criticism. They couldn’t relate to Walter or sympathize with him. He became a monster, which was the point. Showed a good mans descent into evil. But it was still very good

People can relate to a bad guy.  People love hannibal lecter.  A character doesnt have to be a good person, just interesting.

22 minutes ago, kav said:

I guess thats right about seinfeld.  Never saw dazed and confused are you saying the entire film was him avoiding a paddling?

Dazed and Confused didn’t have an overall central plot. There was maybe a dozen or more main characters. There was a sub plot for three freshmen boys, for three nerdy Jewish seniors, for the football team, a freshman girl, etc. overall the point of the movie was everyone wanted to party on the last day of school. Police, bullies/jerks, teachers/coaches, and parents were the obstacle. But yeah every small group or maybe even individual had their own goals and obstacles. 

Id also recommend watching it, I think it’s on Hulu right now, I just watched it again the other day. It’s an absolute classic, and I believe from around your era growing up

8 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:
11 minutes ago, 500Club said:

I think the hook there was seeing someone put into a desperate state, and what lengths would he go to to provide for his family?  What lines would the viewer see themselves crossing?  And then, as things progress, is Walter still motivated by that desperation, or are we seeing something intrinsic to Walter, that has always been there, being drawn to the fore?

On 2/23/2019 at 4:58 AM, Artboy99 said:

well said. I will add:

5. to be able to turn the ordinary into something extraordinary through the use of words.

Example: From an issue of Daredevil written by one of my favorite writers Frank Miller. The Avengers arrive on the scene, and in just 2 panels Miller creates the fantastic with the dialogue of Captain America. I absolutely love this.

Captain america.jpg

I'm liking this so far but note to Frank Miller-no one says 'pusher' any more.  Not since the 70s!!  Drug dealer yes.

If anyone wants to find out from Neil Gaiman it will run you $90 for his series of classes or $180 for unlimited classes from their library of instructors. 

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/neil-gaiman-teaches-the-art-of-storytelling

Edited by Buzzetta