• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Database - How to keep track of your collection ?

19 posts in this topic

I have been useing a trail version of Comic Collector, http://www.collectorz.com/comic/ , it seems to work very well, im just wondering if anyone else uses some sort of database to enter their collection into ? and if so, which program do you use ?

Thought i'd ask before purchaseing this one, in case theres a better one smile.gif

Thanks very much smile.gif

I use Microsoft Excel.

I've got it set up where it lists the book title and publication dates, followed by the issues I own, book conditions, cover price, purchase price, space to describe if its a key or variant issue, approximate OS Guide value, etc. Then, it sums up all the cover and purchase prices so i can see just how much I have spent on my books, total.

Recently I just finished scanning in all my books to a CDRom, and hyperlinked them to the issue numbers in my Excel spreadsheet, so I can click on the numbers to view the cover.

www.comicspriceguide.com

small fee, works great, excel downloadable files, not shabby

Yeah, i based my spreadsheet off of comicspriceguide.com. It's where I got the idea.

software pirate poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif ... riiiiiiiiiiight ...

Maybe if I had "changed" the cpg.com spreadsheets, but I started mine from scratch. poke2.gif

www.comicspriceguide.com

I didn't see anything there that you referred to--am I blind?

You have to pay the annual fee to use the downloadable files. And without paying you can only store up to 100 books I think.

I paid for a year, but when it runs out I don't plan on renewing.

www.comicspriceguide.com

You have to pay the annual fee to use the downloadable files. And without paying you can only store up to 100 books I think.

Again, I'm blind--what downloadable files? Got a click by click guide? I perused the site and didn't get what you guys were talkin' 'bout. I have a user id--are you saying I need to be a premium member to see the features you were referring to?

www.comicspriceguide.com

Again, I'm blind--what downloadable files? Got a click by click guide? I perused the site and didn't get what you guys were talkin' 'bout. I have a user id--are you saying I need to be a premium member to see the features you were referring to?

I think so, yes. Go to "my collection." it lists the publisher, the book count, the approximate value, and then next to that (on mine anyway) i have a "download" column with the excel spreadsheet icon beneath it for each publisher. I click on that and it downloads the book info to a spreadsheet.

I typically use Excel since I'm used to it. I've created a spreadsheet for my 400+ CGC graded books:

Here's some of the information provided:

1st Table: Title, Issue #, Volume, print # (1st print, 2nd print, etc.), restored or not, Month, Year, CGC grade (numerical and written), company name, purchased price (includes shipping and CGC grading costs), 2003, 2004 and 2005 OS guide values (for comparison), % increase or decrease in value (to make it easy I use 1.25X for 9.4, 2X for 9.6 and 3X for 9.8), GPA value for last 12 months, comments (page quality, CGC notes, Pedigree, etc.), certification number, rank in CGC census, # of CGC books graded, highest CGC graded copy, percentile range of where my book is at with the books graded.

At the bottom I have an average of grade and year, a summation of total spent vs. total OS and GPA value, percentile range of where my books are at in the census, # of books for each company, # of books per each year and decade, # of books per each grade from 0.5 to 10.0.

2nd Table: Consists of comic book expenses: backing boards and mylars, insurance, safety deposit box fees, GPA fees, losses in fraud cases (not receiving my book), credit card or bank fees, etc.

3rd Table: Consists of CGC books sold: same as Table 1 except the selling price is included (minus Ebay, Paypal, etc. fees).

4th Table: Recently purchased raw books that can potentially be CGC graded. I provide this information, so it's easy to move these books to Table 1 when sent to CGC (always remember to add the CGC grading fee plus shipping).

Finally, I have another Excel spreadsheet with all the front cover and label images shown in rows of 20. I use 150 resolution, so I can zoom in to each book and look at the details. When I purchase a new book, it's easy to do cut and paste.

Thanks for the info skybolt---you've included a lot of financial info tracking that I haven't been doing a good job of keeping tabs on--as a result, there are some "hidden" fees as a collector I need to get better at understanding. I also haven't kept track of shipping fees, but obviously they are another cost that must be understood.

I'm more of a db guy. The info here suggests a DATABASE application would have better long term capabilities, but SPREADSHEETS are easy to get going and doesn't require programming--if you don't count forumulas. I'm not overly concerned on the tool to keep track of it--it's the WHAT I need to track that I'm interested in hearing. Thanks!!

Anyone else keep track of other info that they want to share?

skybolt - thats an awesome database !!

Thanks. The hard part is keeping up with it. I'm usually lagging in the GPA value, and CGC census department. It's a lot of work to keep up every couple of months. smile.gif

I have been useing a trail version of Comic Collector, http://www.collectorz.com/comic/ , it seems to work very well, im just wondering if anyone else uses some sort of database to enter their collection into ? and if so, which program do you use ?

Thought i'd ask before purchaseing this one, in case theres a better one smile.gif

Thanks very much smile.gif

I have used several databases and spreadsheets over the past 20 years. I am thoroughly impressed with Comic Collector. I was in the process of developing my own package when I found it. It did everything I wanted plus some extra. It is well worth the money.

I use Excel to track things like sales and expenses -- tax stuff. I also have a spreadsheet that compairs the year by year values of several key books plus books that are on my radar. In total I probably have 4 or 5 different spreadsheets.

I use Microsoft Excel.

Works well for me to.

Look at that, OG and I just agreed on something. 893whatthe.gifthumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

It's the first sign of the apocalypse! 893whatthe.gif

Look busy, Jesus is coming! grin.gif