• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney book from Edgar Church's collection!

9 posts in this topic

First Disney book I have seen from Edgar's collection! Could there be more?

Ebay auction: Four color 12 -Bambi - Edgar Church copy

bambi02.jpg

bambi01.jpg

It's SO close to Four Color 9 ... holy grail for Disney/Barks collectors...

I wonder who bought all Four Colors? Since there aren't any in 1977 mile high catalog they there picked soon after discovery.

I thought all the Church cartoon/humor books were tossed prior to Chuck getting there. Veeeeery interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW, gorgeous copy. Looks like it was printed yesterday. hail.gifhail.gif

Fantastic! (assuming that the pedigree status has been accurately designated here)

Perhaps there is some slim slim hope that some of the Ducks from his collection survived? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Fantastic! (assuming that the pedigree status has been accurately designated here)

Perhaps there is some slim slim hope that some of the Ducks from his collection survived? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

There are Dells, including Four Colors from the collection. There are relatively few funny animals in the collection and no Duck books that I'm aware of, which must have been a significant disappointment to Geppi.

I think the cover's pretty cool on it. Bit of a bummer on the opening bid.

There are Dells, including Four Colors from the collection. There are relatively few funny animals in the collection and no Duck books that I'm aware of, which must have been a significant disappointment to Geppi.

Maybe the trashmen who picked up the trash containing the Duck books found them and gave them to their kids? It really is one of the great tragedies that no Church Duck books have been found. Either Edgar never purchased them, which just seems so unlikely given the breadth of his collecting habit, or he did purchase them and liked them enough to keep them segregated from everything else.

There where a few humor/funny animal books in the Edgar church collection,most of these where however destroyed,but there where a few that got mixed up with the superhero books this is probably one of those books.A quote from the mile high website about the discovery of the discovery of the milehigh/edgar church collection

In the many discussions I've had with people about the contents of that second room, the general conclusion that we've reached is that the room contained Church's collection of humor comics. We've extrapolated this conclusion from the fact that there are some very unusual holes in the runs of super-hero comics that were in the walk-in closet from which I obtained the Golden Age. At the same time, there were a tantalizing samplings of humor comics, such as LOONEY TUNES #1, ANIMAL COMICS #1, and all the LITTLE LULU Four Color issues, mixed in with the super-hero comics. If Church was buying all the comics being printed, where were all the humor comics? Wouldn't it make sense that if Church was roughly sorting his super-hero/adventure comics into one room, while his humor books went into the second, that a few books would get put into the wrong closet? That would explain why a few of the super-hero books were missing from otherwise complete runs, and why a few humor books were mixed in with the super-heroes. Sadly, I think the most likely scenario is that all the humor comics were sent to the dump prior to my arrival. If that was the case, then the collection of Golden Age that everyone acknowledges as the best ever discovered in the history of the hobby, was actually half destroyed prior to my arrival.

There where a few humor/funny animal books in the Edgar church collection,most of these where however destroyed,but there where a few that got mixed up with the superhero books this is probably one of those books.A quote from the mile high website about the discovery of the discovery of the milehigh/edgar church collection

In the many discussions I've had with people about the contents of that second room, the general conclusion that we've reached is that the room contained Church's collection of humor comics. We've extrapolated this conclusion from the fact that there are some very unusual holes in the runs of super-hero comics that were in the walk-in closet from which I obtained the Golden Age. At the same time, there were a tantalizing samplings of humor comics, such as LOONEY TUNES #1, ANIMAL COMICS #1, and all the LITTLE LULU Four Color issues, mixed in with the super-hero comics. If Church was buying all the comics being printed, where were all the humor comics? Wouldn't it make sense that if Church was roughly sorting his super-hero/adventure comics into one room, while his humor books went into the second, that a few books would get put into the wrong closet? That would explain why a few of the super-hero books were missing from otherwise complete runs, and why a few humor books were mixed in with the super-heroes. Sadly, I think the most likely scenario is that all the humor comics were sent to the dump prior to my arrival. If that was the case, then the collection of Golden Age that everyone acknowledges as the best ever discovered in the history of the hobby, was actually half destroyed prior to my arrival.

Just wondering if anybody has compiled a complete list of the MISSING super-hero books from the Church collection. It would be interesting to see if any of these same missing issues were also absent from the other GA pedigrees.

Always trying to determine what the virtually impossible to find in high grade GA books would be. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Considering the Timely funny animal titles such as Krazy Komics and Terry Toons were in the collection along with many other company's funny animal titles it is a logical conclusion that Edgar Church did have the Disney books as well. One thing that may have happened but seems far-fetched is perhaps the place Church bought his books from did not carry certain publishers, such as the Disney line.

West