• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found old comic rack. Need Help!

51 posts in this topic

Found old comic rack. Need Help!

I have never seen one like this before. It's for sale for 600 dollars at a local antique store. The price seems nuts to me, but I want to ask what you think it's worth and what year do you think it's from? If I could talk them down, I might get it. I would like some advice first. Thanks!  

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

I wish I had taken more photos. It is tall, maybe 5 or 6 feet. I think one side has 6 or 7 slots and the other side is one shorter. It looks like more fun stopped being made in 1947, so it must be older than that. If it's still there tommorow I will try to work something out. Thanks for the input. 

53 minutes ago, Drewsky said:

I wish I had taken more photos. It is tall, maybe 5 or 6 feet. I think one side has 6 or 7 slots and the other side is one shorter. It looks like more fun stopped being made in 1947, so it must be older than that. If it's still there tommorow I will try to work something out. Thanks for the input. 

I am extremely certain it is the rack I have linked for you.

I'd lock that up; they're rare. Even incomplete, there's a big gap between $600 and a few thou. Though I bet you can get a hundred or two off; seems if it's priced at $600 the guy doesn't know what they do go for. Last-generation spinner racks (y'know, with those white plates with heads of Archie, Superman, Spidey and Richie Rich on the top) are tough enough to find and go around $500 last time I had reason to check. Might be what he's basing his price on.

Maybe try to point out some nameplates are missing and try to get a price drop, but if I could not get him to budge I'd pay the $600 and take it. But that's me. But I think price-wise you're doing well and it's probably scarcer than most of the books it ever held.

The value's there.  The question becomes, do you have it restored?

To me, a rusty old rack stood up in the corner of a room is useless, it should be fully repainted and brought back to its former glory.  I've seen old gas pumps restored beautifully, no reason someone couldn't fix this thing up.