• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the modern Bernie Wrightson,Adams,Byrne,Miller,Perez,Smith,Starlin and McFarlane today?

107 posts in this topic

Where are the modern Bernie Wrightson,Adams,Byrne,Miller,Perez,Smith,Starlin and McFarlane today?

Bernie Wrightson

Neal Adams

Jim Starlin

Jack "King"Kirby

Steve Ditko

John Byrne

Frank Miller

Walt Simonson

Jim Lee

Todd McFarlane

With Bernie Wrightson passing it made me think of what a great artist he was, and what a great bunch of comic book artists we had the privilege to experience. Sadly, they are all getting up in age, and what concerns me is who are the new modern artists that will step in and keep this art form moving?

J H Williams 3rd continues to push the boundaries of the panel and find new ways to present his images on the comics page.

Seth Fisher was one but he passed too young.

Ladronn. Travis Charest. 

Not really too new but still working on the art form.

PplWe have many great artists today.

Dell Otto

Mike Del Mundo (little known) check out his work.

Fiona Staples

Mike Mignola

Sana Takeda(little known) check out her work

Adam Hughes

Just to name a few.

Edited by oakman29

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

PplWe have many great artists today.

Dell Otto

Mike Del Mundo (little known) check out his work.

Fiona Staples

Mike Mignola

Sana Tamera(little known) check out her work

Adam Hughes

Just to name a few.

Greg Capullo

Sana Takeda

Jock

Dustin Nguyen

Many good artists today.

Add Gary Frank.  Remember that for all the great artists of eras past, we had our fair share of lousy ones.

There are good artists out there today.  The greater problem these days, I think, is the writing and editorial direction we see in modern comics from the big 2.  You can have great visuals, but that doesn't mean jack when (i) scripts, in a single comic, take 5 minutes, if that, to read, and (ii) editorial choices emphasize making every story arc some end-of-the-world epic or characters being rebooted, all so that the 4 or 5 issues can be put into a trade paperback because, after all, that's where the money is. 

25 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

We're talking about talent here. If it wasn't for AAdams or golden there would be no McFarlane or liefeld 

How many classic comics did Art Adams draw? 10? Lol.

Art Adams is a good artist,but didn't have the consistency of Todd McFarlane.

Todd McFarlane created the iconic Spawn and revolutionized how action figures artistically look with his McFarlane toys.

The guy is the Neal Adams of the 1990s. No one comes close in popularity or had an impact like he did on comics during the 1990s. 

Art Adams didn't own the 1980s like Todd McFarlane owned the 1990s.

I could even argue Todd McFarlane was the last superstar artist for comic books with respect to Jim Lee.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

How many classic comics did Art Adams draw? 10? Lol.

Art Adams is a good artist,but didn't have the consistency of Todd McFarlane.

Todd McFarlane created the iconic Spawn and revolutionized how action figures artistically look with his McFarlane toys.

The guy is the Neal Adams of the 1990s. No one comes close in popularity or had an impact like he did on comics during the 1990s. 

I could even argue Todd McFarlane was the last superstar artist for comic books with respect to Jim Lee.

Absolutely nonsense. 

A great artist is not measured by the amount of books he or she put out. Nor by his or her great business ethics. 

They are only measured by one aspect - their influence on the artform. 

And if you think that McFarlane wasn't influenced by AAdams or Golden, then me and you didn't grow up in the same times my friend 

7 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Where are the modern day Kaluta's, BWS, Brunner, Corben, Moebius..

whats sadder than the fact that there's no GREAT new talent, is the fact that the artistic gods of our past have been long forgotten

bad_boys_20.gif

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Art Adams STILL owns the comic book art form by inspiring such commercial giants as mcfarlane, liefeld Larsen and Lee among dozens others who in turn made comic book art look the way it does today 

23 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Where are the modern day Kaluta's, BWS, Brunner, Corben, Moebius..

whats sadder than the fact that there's no GREAT new talent, is the fact that the artistic gods of our past have been long forgotten

This is what we can agree on. What amazes me is not only did we have great comic book artists in comic books,but we had many, and I will go as far as to say the comic book artists from 1950 and up were actually better than the so called modern artists in the regular art world.

I don't know about you ,but I prefer looking at Neal Adams or Berni Wrightson art than looking at Andy Warhol or Jeff Koons art.

So really we will find the real top modern artists were in the comics books these last 60 years ,and not the ones that get hyped by the elitists in the modern art gallery.

That probably also explains why OA art has exploded in value. These comic book artists are the new masters. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I think that nowadays the focus is on covers more than interior art. most of today's covers are what sell the book. 

The last time I read and marveled at a comic book's art from cover to cover was during the Pacific run of Twisted Tales and Alien World. 

17 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Absolutely nonsense. 

A great artist is not measured by the amount of books he or she put out. Nor by his or her great business ethics. 

They are only measured by one aspect - their influence on the artform. 

And if you think that McFarlane wasn't influenced by AAdams or Golden, then me and you didn't grow up in the same times my friend 

He could be influenced by them,but in the end he became more successful and took it farther. Kind of like some people who invented cellphones and computers influenced Steve Jobs. They may have been first ,but it was Steve Jobs that took home computers, smartphones and tablets to a different level.

If you need a comic-book analogy Stan Lee and Bill Everet influenced Frank Miller on Daredevil,but it was Frank Miller that took Daredevil to a higher level than Daredevil's creators ever did.

I am also pretty sure Todd McFarlane OA art is a better investment going into the future than Art Adams.

Nothing wrong with Art Adams art,as it is great,but to most people Todd McFarlane is considered one of the top comic book artists of all-time,especially to people in the late 1980s to mid-1990s.

Art Adams never dominated an era like Todd McFarlane did, and that has to be respected with Todd McFarlane.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

5 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I think that nowadays the focus is on covers more than interior art. most of today's covers are what sell the book. 

The last time I read and marveled at a comic book's art from cover to cover was during the Pacific run of Twisted Tales and Alien World. 

I remember the first time I read them and I was blown away. Good stuff.

19 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

That early Copper era with Pacific, First, Eclipse and then Perez, Byrne, Miller, and Bissette at the big 2 was a high point in comic book story and art.

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I remember the first time I read them and I was blown away. Good stuff.

I think this can happen on modern titles occasionally. Have you seen Nate Simpson's NONPLAYER? Blown away. Now he has only done 2 issues in a few years, but...

My first reply in this thread was speaking to modern masters, truly great great artists. I think Dell'Otto and Hughes are great pinup artists but cover to cover is another story. (Secret War was forever ago and whatever happened to All Star Wonder Woman?) I should have included Mignola though, I agree on that for sure.