• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the modern Bernie Wrightson,Adams,Byrne,Miller,Perez,Smith,Starlin and McFarlane today?

107 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

He hasn't done nearly enough work, but Mark Schultz is my modern master...even with the small sample size. I hope he gets freed up to continue the Xenozoic Tales line...

Quality not quantity. Another artist with very limited but brilliant mainstream comics work is David Mazzucchelli.   

On March 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Aweandlorder said:

How can anyone include McFarlane in that list? Arthur Adams or Michael Golden should be there instead. Just saying

I don't see how anyone could prefer Golden to McFarlane. :sick:

50 minutes ago, newshane said:

I don't see how anyone could prefer Golden to McFarlane. :sick:

You don't have to like either artists to know that Golden has influenced Arthur Adams (alongside Walt Simonson) who in turn GREATLY influenced (to put it modestly) Mcfarlane. Perfect example is Spider-Man's spaghetti web which McFarlane is famous for and many to this day think that he has created. Which is in fact, is a Golden creation

13 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

You don't have to like either artists to know that Golden has influenced Arthur Adams (alongside Walt Simonson) who in turn GREATLY influenced (to put it modestly) Mcfarlane. Perfect example is Spider-Man's spaghetti web which McFarlane is famous for and many to this day think that he has created. Which is in fact, is a Golden creation

Chaucer heavily influenced Shakespeare, but only someone with bad literary taste would prefer the former over the later.

Golden did a run on Spawn and in my opinion it was the second worst guest run of the entire series, behind only Erik Larsen.  Go do a side-by-side comparison of McFarlane and Golden and explain what you see.

McFarlane = McMediocre? I just don't see it and I'm always baffled by the people who do. How many legendary covers does one have to produce before they get any respect. ASM 300 is just one example. How many tributes have been drawn and released?

53 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Golden's run on Spawn was hardly "vintage" Golden.  I would say that if you did a cover by cover matchup for their entirety of work Golden would clobber McFarlane. 

I much prefer Golden's earlier work on Batman and Micronauts, where there was a lot of dark shadowing and some Berni Wrightson influence to the style.

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Golden's run on Spawn was hardly "vintage" Golden.  I would say that if you did a cover by cover matchup for their entirety of work Golden would clobber McFarlane. 

hm We might need to start another thread to deal with this topic. hm

4 hours ago, newshane said:

Chaucer heavily influenced Shakespeare, but only someone with bad literary taste would prefer the former over the later.

Golden did a run on Spawn and in my opinion it was the second worst guest run of the entire series, behind only Erik Larsen.  Go do a side-by-side comparison of McFarlane and Golden and explain what you see.

McFarlane = McMediocre? I just don't see it and I'm always baffled by the people who do. How many legendary covers does one have to produce before they get any respect. ASM 300 is just one example. How many tributes have been drawn and released?

Comparing modern Golden or modern AAdams to McFarlane is just plain ignorant. Simply put. If you werent reading/collecting comics in the 80s, anything that I write here would NOT make sense to you. ANYTHING

I am a big Art Adams fan...obviously not his numero uno :nyah: but I AM waiting on a two character commission from him that I hope to acquire later this year (maybe, perhaps, hopefully). I love Golden as well although his modern style is not for me at all. Todd is awesome in my eyes too and I think he was the real deal. I know that I caught wind of him (wind, not like a watch...like the air) on Infinity Inc and didn't stop following him until Spawn somewhere. (The gorilla cyborg was when I dropped that title.) I think that he is a great example of someone who took his influences, added them together and was able to combine them effectively into a unique style. It is unfortunate that he never seemed to really move beyond that, at least not to me. Todd was one of my favorites for a while there but my other modern favorites like BWS, JHW3, Sienkieiwcz, and yes Frank Miller! seem to have made something new and moved on stylistically in a way which I am not sure todd ever did.

I like to provoke with my FM love! :sumo::sumo:

Here are just a few excerpts online that will help you understand Art Adams' influence on McFarlane, Lee & Liefeld. This is a VERY well known FACT, clouded by clueless readers who didnt collect during the 80s and do not know of the TREMENDOUS influence that Adams had on these artists. He is in no shape or form more popular than them. Its just sad that it got to the point where people nowadays are not even aware of this

http://www.cbr.com/art-adams-longshot-image-is-something/

Spoiler

For years — and maybe to this day — readers who lived through the direct market turmoil of the 1990s comic book industry used a kind of verbal shorthand to celebrate or dismiss an entire genre of comics. “That looks like an Image comic,” they would say, with enthusiasm or disdain, or possibly a little of both.

Image Comics — and the supposed house style of that company-that-was-really-a-collective-of-very-different-personalities — became synonymous for flashy action poses and shiny metal appendages, for thousands of inky lines and crass youthful exuberance, for superheroes and aliens and demons and robots crammed together in stories that didn’t always make a lot of sense.

Some might say the “Image style” began with the debut of “Youngblood” #1 in 1992, or even earlier than that when Rob Liefeld first began working on the seeds of what would turn the poor-selling “New Mutants” into the massively-popular “X-Force.” Or when Jim Lee revamped the look and feel of the “Uncanny X-Men.” Or when Todd McFarlane started doing his thing on “Amazing Spider-Man.”

But the origins of the Image style go back farther than that. It begins with new-to-Marvel editor Ann Nocenti trying to recruit someone to draw her weird comic book idea. It begins with an artist who, prior to 1985, had done little in the comics industry other than drawing a pin-up in “Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew” and helping out with a few covers for third-string titles. It begins with the debut of Art Adams and “Longshot.”

https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Arthur+Adams+(comics)

Spoiler

Adams is one of the most popular and widely imitated artists in the American comics industry.[2] [5] Adams' style is attributed as a direct influence on the artists who would found Image Comics, and the other popular artists of the 1990s associated with that era, such a Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld.[28] [29] Timothy Callahan of Comic Book Resources points to the use of dynamic action poses, idealized figures, costume designs featuring numerous accessories, a preference for copious crosshatching over brushwork in rendering, and the depiction of cybernetic limbs and other reflective surfaces seen in those artists' styles as being derived from Adams work, in particular his run on Longshot. Callahan also points out that the detailed webbing for which Todd McFarlane became known during his run on Spider-Man had previously been used by Adams on the cover of Longshot #4. Though Callahan notes that Adams did not necessarily originate these elements, but was influenced himself by Michael Golden and Micronauts, he states that Adams popularized them. Noting also that Adams' Longshot pencils were inked by Whilce Portacio and an uncredited Scott Williams, Callahan refers to that book as "early Image, in primal form".[28] Artists who have named Adams as an influence include J. Scott Campbell,[3] [30] [31] Aaron Kuder[32] [33] and Shelby Robertson.[34]

And this, although sarcastically written by a hobbyist, actually talks about why comic books look so bad today.. All because of one Art Adams

http://geniusboyfiremelon.blogspot.com/2008/01/dont-you-know-its-all-art-adamss-fault.html

Fake news.

:nyah:

If you were posting to me, yes I have read the genius boy blog before and am aware of Art Adams' influence. Reggie is a better athlete but Archie wins the decathalon due to perseverence and consistency of output. (Man, that Archie comic in 1970 or whatever really made an impression on me.) Reggie never saw it coming either.

I'm just poking the bear here aweandlorder! All in good fun.

Haha all good fun Bird Im not running a crusade here. there are just 2 things that always bothered me though. Its one thing that readers arent aware of Adams influence on modern mainstream comic art, the other is, and most bothersome, the fact that Liefeld & Mcfarlane never really admitted that they took so much from him as they should. I can understand why they havent in the past because they were both competing in the same market. But now, 20-30 years later, pay a little respect for the man. Sad

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

Haha all good fun Bird Im not running a crusade here. there are just 2 things that always bothered me though. Its one thing that readers arent aware of Adams influence on modern mainstream comic art, the other is, and most bothersome, the fact that Liefeld & Mcfarlane never really admitted that they took so much from him as they should. I can understand why they havent in the past because they were both competing in the same market. But now, 20-30 years later, pay a little respect for the man. Sad

I was just about to ask if anyone knew of an article, or story where Liefeld or McFarlane spoke about the influence.  Seems they do not, which from an artistic perspective, seems odd.  I mean, lots of artists whether comic book, or fine art, or Sunday painters like myself usually do not shy away from citing influence and artists they draw inspiration from, or who they have studied.  At any rate I appreciate the heads up on Adams, this is yet another shining example of this board doing the good work of expanding my (and hopefully others') knowledge base.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Comparing modern Golden or modern AAdams to McFarlane is just plain ignorant. Simply put. If you werent reading/collecting comics in the 80s, anything that I write here would NOT make sense to you. ANYTHING

Couple of things:

1. I am well aware of Adams and Golden and their back catalogs. I am also aware of their influence upon McFarlane. 

2. I didn't have to be alive in the 80's, let alone collecting in the 80's, to appreciate the work of the aforementioned artists. I wasn't alive in the 60s, but I can appreciate the Beatles. 

3. YOU say that Golden is better than McFarlane, and in the next post you prohibit comparisons of their work...saying that it's "plain ignorant"? Doesn't make sense. You go ahead and line up the comparison anyway you want...McFarlane will smoke him everytime. 

4. You are falling prey to sentimentality...the GOOD OLE 80s. Let's destroy all biases...take McFarlane's art and Golden's art to a local shopping mall and ask random people to pick their favorite. No way Golden wins. He doesn't have the same appeal. 

1 minute ago, newshane said:

Couple of things:

1. I am well aware of Adams and Golden and their back catalogs. I am also aware of their influence upon McFarlane. 

2. I didn't have to be alive in the 80's, let alone collecting in the 80's, to appreciate the work of the aforementioned artists. I wasn't alive in the 60s, but I can appreciate the Beatles. 

3. YOU say that Golden is better than McFarlane, and in the next post you prohibit comparisons of their work...saying that it's "plain ignorant"? Doesn't make sense. You go ahead and line up the comparison anyway you want...McFarlane will smoke him everytime. 

4. You are falling prey to sentimentality...the GOOD OLE 80s. Let's destroy all biases...take McFarlane's art and Golden's art to a local shopping mall and ask random people to pick their favorite. No way Golden wins. He doesn't have the same appeal. 

All your talking point were countered already in my previous replies. Read again

Like Bird, I first started following McFarlane's work when he was on the Infinity Inc title.  A new artist with a lot of potential at that stage.

McFarlane's page layouts were the first thing that made me notice him I think. those capes would stretch all along the panel borders. I had two Infinity Inc pages until selling them to Doug at Clink and one was a great page payout with a large Mr Bones figure and panels happening around him. I am not saying Todd did that first but I had not seen it yet. I remember reading an issue and thinking "no great cape pages" and feeling ripped off.

I remember asking Michael Bair about signing splash pages in the middle of the comic (maybe it was Liam Sharpe and maybe I don't remember it too well I guess). He laughed and said European artists did it all the time but I had never seen that (although I was reading Heavy Metal when I could get my hands on it years before that so I probably just never noticed).