• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New eBayer placing a ton of bids on my auction...what to do?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

So I listed an auction last night on the Bay, and a new member has already placed 19 bids! No clue who this person is, but it definitely looks suspicious and I'm concerned other bidders may shy away because it looks like a classic shiller. I know it's common for new members to not really understand how eBay works, and I don't really think anything funny is going on (what good would it do them?)...BUT, I'm considering blocking them simply because I know personally I tend to stay away from auctions that have zero or low-feedback bidders placing a ton of bids with only small incremental increases. Thoughts on this...should I block them or just let it ride? (shrug)

5 minutes ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

So I listed an auction last night on the Bay, and a new member has already placed 19 bids! No clue who this person is, but it definitely looks suspicious and I'm concerned other bidders may shy away because it looks like a classic shiller. I know it's common for new members to not really understand how eBay works, and I don't really think anything funny is going on (what good would it do them?)...BUT, I'm considering blocking them simply because I know personally I tend to stay away from auctions that have zero or low-feedback bidders placing a ton of bids with only small incremental increases. Thoughts on this...should I block them or just let it ride? (shrug)

Everyone starts out with zero feedback, but if you're suspicious...I say go ahead and block them. Better safe than sorry 2c

Oh I have no qualms doing business with a zero-feedback bidder, I've sold plenty of books to new ebayers and I agree we all have to start somewhere. It's just that placing so many bids in small increments...on the first day of a 7-day auction...sends up red flags to other potential bidders. 

FWIW, I don't think "this is this Guy's crony shill" would be my first thought. I'd think why the heck do I have the dumb luck to want the same item as this obvious eBay noob bidder? My general assumption is sure underhandedness  exists in the world but stupidity is far more common. So I wouldn't assume the bidder is your shill, just a new guy learning the ropes who also wants your book.

If I see multiple bids from someone - and I am generally referring to one or two extra bids (not 19), I put a bid in that is close to my final number and see how that does. If they still have two bids over that-- I move on.

If I saw someone do this on my item though-- I would generally block them unless it was something I was having little luck selling. I see that as 19 flags they are trouble down the road.

Just my take-- go with your gut.

If I had 19 bids on a book, I'd be happy. The real bidders don't show up until the last day or they bid on dozens of your books up front. This guy sounds like he is gonna get sniped. Look at the watch count to put your mind at ease.

That's cool and I wish you well.

The more I think about it though, the more I think you should cancel their bids and block them.

Yeah- 2 bids is nothing out of the ordinary-- someone bid on an item and then adds another bid at a higher number to make sure they don't lose out with a short position. Three bids with no other action is a red flag to me saying this person is up to something. You have 17 red flags under that scenario.