• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Racks - Restored vs Unrestored

34 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

Thanks. This one was advertised as a wall mount, which I think is really awesome.

By removing the stand and adding the hose clamps, it's another way to display the books.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

exactly the same as mine posted earlier!

Never thought of hanging it on the wall. I like how portable it is.

2 hours ago, Doktor said:

Really depends on where you go. I got mine for a steal. Picked it up for less than $50 on LetGo or one of those apps. The base needed sanding & re-painting because it was a little beat up, but it was complete. A washing took care of the grime on the rest of it. But normally? I'd say you'd probably be looking in the $200-400 range.

I have seen prices anywhere from $50 to $500+ depending on the rack.

My 2 spinners I paid $150 and $200 for, my stand up I traded a longbox of comics for. The owner valued the books more than the rack as he could sell them to make his rent, whereas I got a beautiful condition stand up rack for what I considered to be a bunch of junk.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have seen prices anywhere from $50 to $500+ depending on the rack.

My 2 spinners I paid $150 and $200 for, my stand up I traded a longbox of comics for. The owner valued the books more than the rack as he could sell them to make his rent, whereas I got a beautiful condition stand up rack for what I considered to be a bunch of junk.

your stand up rack is in incredible shape. Love how it's black too!

I'm in the no restore category. I love original patina. It tells a story. As comic collectors we are all trained to be "mint freaks" some things just look more "authentic" with some honest wear. If it's rusty or falling apart, I just don't buy it. I also have a few 1920's large pressed steel Buddy L trucks. Most of the time you see them they are restored. I'd much rather have one with some wear. Maybe 80% overall original paint with no rust. Looks like a kid played with it and loved it. 

Now, don't these look better this way than all shiny and new?

cardayton1_zpsd269b38a.jpg

structowindtruck_zpsa60e7d08.jpg

Edited by Robot Man
photos

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Id restore the body. Not the sign/s

Yeah. Restore the frame. Wash the signs. That little mixture of original signage with a near perfect frame looks great. And retains that aged vintage look IMO. 

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I'm in the no restore category. I love original patina. It tells a story. As comic collectors we are all trained to be "mint freaks" some things just look more "authentic" with some honest wear. If it's rusty or falling apart, I just don't buy it. I also have a few 1920's large pressed steel Buddy L trucks. Most of the time you see them they are restored. I'd much rather have one with some wear. Maybe 80% overall original paint with no rust. Looks like a kid played with it and loved it. 

Nice cars, Robot!  I never get tired of looking at your collection, and thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

You sound just like the American Pickers lol , have to agree, old stuff looks better with some age showing.