• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subbing Multiple Copies of Same Book Advice

22 posts in this topic

I have approximately 40 copies of X-Force 11 and about 25 Darkhawk 1. Both were from old store stock and most of them never hit the stands. I think 75% of them are 9.6 or better. My question is how would you approach subbing these? All at once? A few at a time? I only sub approximately 5-10 books a year, but just dropped a dozen keys on them at a show this past weekend and they will be attending a show I will be at this weekend as well. I am a member so I get 10% off and being able to save on shipping costs is a big deal for me. Advice? Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I have approximately 40 copies of X-Force 11 and about 25 Darkhawk 1. Both were from old store stock and most of them never hit the stands. I think 75% of them are 9.6 or better. My question is how would you approach subbing these? All at once? A few at a time? I only sub approximately 5-10 books a year, but just dropped a dozen keys on them at a show this past weekend and they will be attending a show I will be at this weekend as well. I am a member so I get 10% off and being able to save on shipping costs is a big deal for me. Advice? Thanks in advance!

Make sure you are conversant with CGC grading standards.  If even a small portion of those books are 9.4-9.6 you will lose all your margin on the 9.8s. Stacking curls and uneven longbox storage (different sizes of backing boards) often knock a lot of unpressed Copper/Modern books to 9.4-9.6.  It may be worthwhile to get them quick pressed, if that is not unsavory to you.

I'd sub them all via prescreening if you currently have the money to pay for that many slabs.  Always better to reduce shipping cost per book by submitting large batches.  Once you get them back you can decide how many to sell at once.  That many copies of those books shouldn't flood the market but you can always space out the number of books up for sale. 

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

Make sure you are conversant with CGC grading standards.  If even a small portion of those books are 9.4-9.6 you will lose all your margin on the 9.8s. Stacking curls and uneven longbox storage (different sizes of backing boards) often knock a lot of unpressed Copper/Modern books to 9.4-9.6.  It may be worthwhile to get them quick pressed, if that is not unsavory to you.

I'm not against pressing. I have less than $1 each in them, so I feel like even the 9.4-9.6 will make me money. I've never sold a raw one for more than $5, so it would seem like the roughly $20 investment would be worthwhile. Thanks for your input.

Depending on how much money you want to throw out initially/shipping rates etc.  If you plan to move all the copies in the next few months then send them all however if you only plan to sell 1-2 copies a year why bother throwing some $1200 when $200 will do.

12 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Depending on how much money you want to throw out initially/shipping rates etc.  If you plan to move all the copies in the next few months then send them all however if you only plan to sell 1-2 copies a year why bother throwing some $1200 when $200 will do.

I don't think I want to only sell 1-2 a year as I'm afraid no one will care in a couple of years with the X-Force 11! 

Just now, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I don't think I want to only sell 1-2 a year as I'm afraid no one will care in a couple of years with the X-Force 11! 

Then you've answered your own question.  Grade away and blow em out.  Unless Domino is in Deadpool 3 :baiting: 

I guess it depends on the cost of doing the slabbing per book for you.

Darkhawk 1's in CGC 9.6 are about $50 so at that grade it doesn't seem worth doing to me.

X-Force 11's in CGC 9.6 are also about $50.00

I would prescreen at 9.8 on the Darkhawk #1's, but not sure I would do the X-Force 11's but it likely costs me more to slab a book than you based on I live outside the USA.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I guess it depends on the cost of doing the slabbing per book for you.

Darkhawk 1's in CGC 9.6 are about $50 so at that grade it doesn't seem worth doing to me.

X-Force 11's in CGC 9.6 are also about $50.00

I would prescreen at 9.8 on the Darkhawk #1's, but not sure I would do the X-Force 11's but it likely costs me more to slab a book than you based on I live outside the USA.

It costs a little less than $21 a book with fees and shipping if I do 20 books.

Send in all 65 and prescreen at 9.8.   What's the worst that can happen?  Seriously, why not?

$21 per book seems low if you have $4k worth of books coming back.    Are you properly insuring them?

Recently done the same thing - $21 each all 9.8 pre-screened.

56 came back 9.8

Movie related, so when the time is right then go for it if you have the cash.

Once the movie is out, the price generally drops.

Good luck!

$5 fee if the book fails the prescreening and the regular price for all books that pass and get spanned.  You do pay the same for return shipping regardless if it gets slabbed or not which can add a couple bucks which can add up if you get a lot of rejects.

14 hours ago, 1Cool said:

$5 fee if the book fails the prescreening and the regular price for all books that pass and get spanned.  You do pay the same for return shipping regardless if it gets slabbed or not which can add a couple bucks which can add up if you get a lot of rejects.

Have them shipped back under your own FedEx account. That way, the shipping charge is based on the actual weight not what the shipping charge says on the CGC invoice.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

She's in 2. No one will care anymore by 3.........especially if the market decides it's not her first appearance!

Annnnnnnnnndddddd....it isn't.

TAT is insanely fast; take 10-12 of the best and put them in. You cannot sell 40 copies all at once even if they are all 9.8s (well, maybe you would but I wouldn't). So with such quick TATs I would prescreen them myself and send them in increasingly large batches and let the first submission pay for the rest. As soon as the first ones come back send in the next (as long as they graded as expected), don't wait until they are sold just sell them as the next batch is being graded.