• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping to CGC from Canada

14 posts in this topic

I see under the CGC FAQ's this comment:

As a Canadian submitter to CGC, the burden of proof that the books came from Canada falls to you. The best way to prevent this from being called into question is to visit your local customs office before shipping your submission and explain your intentions for these comics — that they are yours and are being sent to the US for evaluation only. They will provide you with a form that should accompany your comic submission and, when the books are returned with this form, the package will not be called into question.

Can any fellow Canadian submitter point me toward where I can find this customs form (I'm hoping it can be downloaded online)?

Thanks (thumbsu

19 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I see under the CGC FAQ's this comment:

As a Canadian submitter to CGC, the burden of proof that the books came from Canada falls to you. The best way to prevent this from being called into question is to visit your local customs office before shipping your submission and explain your intentions for these comics — that they are yours and are being sent to the US for evaluation only. They will provide you with a form that should accompany your comic submission and, when the books are returned with this form, the package will not be called into question.

Can any fellow Canadian submitter point me toward where I can find this customs form (I'm hoping it can be downloaded online)?

Thanks (thumbsu

I've never had a problem and if you call customs they will tell you that the form is of no use. Just keep all of your paperwork from when you ship it down and worst case scenario, you will have to pay duty and then appeal it and you will win. 

If I was sending out a very high value book I'd use the customs form E-15 but 99 times out of 100 you'd be fine with the regular export declaration using the B 13 export declaration form - the E-15 form requires a customs inspection prior to export (I'm not sure how well most couriers handle that process)  While these are the customs form options, your need to prove export upon re-entry can usually be accomplished to satisfy Customs by simply retaining a copy of your submission form along with your bill of lading from whatever carrier you choose to ship your goods to CGC with - taking pics/scans of your books is a good idea also.  
Upon re-entry the 'value added' should be the only amount you are required to pay taxes on, the value added should be whatever your grading/pressing costs are but the last time I received something back it arrived via FedEx with a $5 value declared per book. :eek: 

Edited by bababooey

Its really easy to prove they came from Canada.
You just explain how CGC works.
I have had this issue happen before and it does delay shipment by a day or two but if you explain how CGC services your books and sends them back to you they don't ask for any more "proof".

Since Canadians seem to be reading this thread I'll share this recent news article; the bottom line is that the postal/customs process that allowed so many books to come through without duty/tax payment is likely to get a bit tighter.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/unlevel-playing-field-retailers-suffer-as-postal-services-overlook-1-3b-in-taxes-on-foreign-purchases-study?utm_campaign=PostBeyond&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=LinkedIn&utm_term=%2369544

Canada losing out on more than $1 billion in taxes and duties on foreign online retail sales, study reveals

33 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Since Canadians seem to be reading this thread I'll share this recent news article; the bottom line is that the postal/customs process that allowed so many books to come through without duty/tax payment is likely to get a bit tighter.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/unlevel-playing-field-retailers-suffer-as-postal-services-overlook-1-3b-in-taxes-on-foreign-purchases-study?utm_campaign=PostBeyond&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=LinkedIn&utm_term=%2369544

Canada losing out on more than $1 billion in taxes and duties on foreign online retail sales, study reveals

So business as usual for me then. For years absolutely none of my packages escaped without paying customs import duty.

Great info!

I do live near the border, maybe it would be easier (cheaper) to drive them across, ship them to CGC and have them held at the nearest US FedEx depot for pickup when they are shipped back.

Same as me, I live near the border.  I have a few books that I need to sent to CGC sometime later this year. I should see about shipping them with that info here (thanks for posting). 

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Great info!

I do live near the border, maybe it would be easier (cheaper) to drive them across, ship them to CGC and have them held at the nearest US FedEx depot for pickup when they are shipped back.

I lived near the border for about 5 years and tried to find the best solution to do it properly, cost and time effective.  The way you describe is the least effective.  Since you would be shipping from the USA you would have to each time do up paperwork, go into the CBA office and have an officer go through the books one at a time and mark off that you were indeed shipping XYZ.  You would then have to pack in the office as to not add or subtract books from the piles you've just shown them.  They would then scan all the papers and give you a small receipt for when you went to pick them up.

Your best bet is to do as described above.  Ship from Canada and keep all receipts and what not, you may find picking the books up in the USA to be effective but going across and having to explain it each time become tiring and should you hit traffic lines its probably not so just ship them back to the north.  You may get dinged on the service side (in theory you can be charged the taxes on their work which would be the cost of grading per book)...again this is the cost of doing business and there is nothing we can do to avoid that.

2 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

I realize this is an old topic, but does anyone know if CGC is planning an office in Canada any time soon?

I read somewhere that they opened an offfice in the U.K.

Thanks !

I asked them in April 2018 when they attended the Calgary Comic Expo and they said no. They had horrible turn out for customers at the Calgary show which I guess just confirmed that they wont be opening facilities/ offices in Canada.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I asked them in April 2018 when they attended the Calgary Comic Expo and they said no. They had horrible turn out for customers at the Calgary show which I guess just confirmed that they wont be opening facilities/ offices in Canada.

Do CGC come to Montreal Comiccon ?