• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch out for this EBAY "DEAL" ASM 50 *RESTORED SCAM*

16 posts in this topic

Watch out for this EBAY "DEAL" ASM 50

This was a book i purchased then discovered it had marker bleed through at the staple and the bottom of the cover. The seller played dumb, refunded my money, and relisted it with no mention of the RESTO. Beware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDERMAN-50-1ST-KINGPIN-ORIGIN-RETOLD-/262902341307?

Edited by kryptospidey

9 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I also sent an inquiry to this seller about resto and if the book had been trimmed (Looks trimmed to me).  They acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

There are a lot of ASM 50's that have that "trimmed" look, and its a production thing related to staple and page placement. I had a CGC 9.2 that looked identical to that book, so the trimming is likely not, but a kid with a marker is a definite.

Edited by kryptospidey

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

I also sent an inquiry to this seller about resto and if the book had been trimmed (Looks trimmed to me).  They acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

A message from the seller after i called him out on relisting it"

New message from: ellioalfor0 (67Blue Star)

Everyone has the same information you had when you made up your mind. I was honest with you about what I saw even though it cost me a sale. You have 0 reason to believe I am anything but honest with anyone else when they ask me questions or ask for pics. I didnt remove the pics that you found red marks in. They are still there and they were enough for you. If there is anyone who has questionable ethics it is you. In your attempt to negotiate a better price, AFTER making an offer I accepted, you went on to say a restored book would only be around $150+/-. I then went to find another that sold for $600 and a few others that sold for $300-400 in recent past. Our agreed price really doesn't seem that far off to me, but I let you off the hook. You don't want the book, dont buy it. But the upside to not taking your money is I shouldnt have to hear you person_without_enough_empathy.

lol

1 hour ago, kryptospidey said:

A message from the seller after i called him out on relisting it"

New message from: ellioalfor0 (67Blue Star)

Everyone has the same information you had when you made up your mind. I was honest with you about what I saw even though it cost me a sale. You have 0 reason to believe I am anything but honest with anyone else when they ask me questions or ask for pics. I didnt remove the pics that you found red marks in. They are still there and they were enough for you. If there is anyone who has questionable ethics it is you. In your attempt to negotiate a better price, AFTER making an offer I accepted, you went on to say a restored book would only be around $150+/-. I then went to find another that sold for $600 and a few others that sold for $300-400 in recent past. Our agreed price really doesn't seem that far off to me, but I let you off the hook. You don't want the book, dont buy it. But the upside to not taking your money is I shouldnt have to hear you person_without_enough_empathy.

lol

What a shyster.

4 hours ago, kryptospidey said:

There are a lot of ASM 50's that have that "trimmed" look, and its a production thing related to staple and page placement. I had a CGC 9.2 that looked identical to that book, so the trimming is likely not, but a kid with a marker is a definite.

That book has been listed like a dozen times. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled it up after just glancing at the thumbnail, only to groan. One of those books I want to buy just so I can set it on fire in a trashcan in my backyard, so that I never have to mistakenly look at it again on eBay

It looks trimmed to me as well. 

Edited by october

2 minutes ago, october said:

That book has been listed like a dozen times. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled it up after just glancing at the thumbnail, only to groan. One of those books I want to buy just so I can set it on fire in a trashcan in my backyard, just so I never have to mistakenly look at it again on eBay. 

This seller obviously knows he's being shady, it's a shame someone will eventually fall for it

8 minutes ago, october said:

That book has been listed like a dozen times. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled it up after just glancing at the thumbnail, only to groan. One of those books I want to buy just so I can set it on fire in a trashcan in my backyard, just so I never have to mistakenly look at it again on eBay. 

As for trimmed, that book has similar characteristics to this book i had slabbed. I think its a common print run problem with that issue. Ive seen numerous with the pages sticking out, including my 9.2.

asm50.jpg

It wasn't the pages that were sticking out that bothered me, as you are right, that's super common on a lot of SA Marvels....it was the lack of any visible overhang on the top or bottom edge. That's not common at all. In fact, I am not sure I have EVER seen a SA Marvel that didn't have at least a little. 

3 minutes ago, october said:

It wasn't the pages that were sticking out that bothered me, as you are right, that's super common on a lot of SA Marvels....it was the lack of any visible overhang on the top or bottom edge. That's not common at all. In fact, I am not sure I have EVER seen a SA Marvel that didn't have at least a little. 

True, wasn't looking at that. Good possibility

4 hours ago, october said:

Top and bottom edges look painfully sliced and diced :cry: