• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi MOKF omnibus - worth buying?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I bought the early issues off the newstand.  I really enjoy Paul Gulacy's artwork.  The comic book came out during the height of the martial arts craze in the seventies.

Here is  Master of Kung Fu #31, page 3.  My college room mate said the guard seeing Shang Chi coming in the reflection off his cigarette lighter was ridiculous.  I had Paul Gulacy sign this page for me.

mokf-fall.jpg

1 hour ago, Grendel72 said:

Shang-Chi MOKF omnibus - worth buying?

I happened to come across the Master of Kung Fu omnibus on amazon.  its expensive but I always heard great reviews about it but have never read it. Is it worth buying ? 

100 percent yes! If you like the first one,than I would buy the rest.

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

I bought the early issues off the newstand.  I really enjoy Paul Gulacy's artwork.  The comic book came out during the height of the martial arts craze in the seventies.

Here is  Master of Kung Fu #31, page 3.  My college room mate said the guard seeing Shang Chi coming in the reflection off his cigarette lighter was ridiculous.  I had Paul Gulacy sign this page for me.

mokf-fall.jpg

I've always loved the Gulacy artwork, especially with respect to some of his splash pages and his use of reflections.  :luhv:

Although many have stated that his artwork is more in line with being an inferior version of Steranko's more original and stylistic artwork.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

I would just buy reading copies of the originals. I find the reproduction quality of the majority of omnibi and TPBs to be sub-par.

+1

With the prices being asked for the omnibus reprints, I would also much rather go for nice copies of the originals.  (thumbsu

It's a difficult call for a product like this.  Original reading copies aren't expensive, but the later 70s and 80s  issues have extremely poor paper and print quality, and it's possible that with decent-but-pricey remastering the Zeck and Day artwork from this period could be markedly improved. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

As my eyes age, I have come to really appreciate the larger copy of the Omnibi.

With that said, while I loved MOKF when it came out, I don't think it has aged all that well.

I own the first two volumes, and am halfway through the first.

I don't think finding a run of singles is that easy anymore.  MOKF used to be a dime a dozen, but I haven't seen many around for a long while.  Maybe the Omnibus will send dealers to their basements to find their copies again?

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

With the prices being asked for the omnibus reprints, I would also much rather go for nice copies of the originals.  (thumbsu

I also agree, you probably could get a nice run going in Fine or better condition for about the same price, unless you just want the collected format, I would say yes, worth it either way. Gulacy`s MOKF run is amazing, very underrated IMHO.

Two Omnibi take up a lot less space than a hundred and ten bagged and boarded comics.

The Giant Sized Master of Kung Fu have the bonus of reprinting the 1950s Yellow Claw series .

Y.C. was a bad mother shutyourmouth.

I suspect the OP launched this thread in relation to another thread I posted on earlier (about embarrassment from not reading certain comics). Seeing as others might search this thread for insight, I'll repeat it again here.

"I don't know that I would really call it an embarrassment.   But, I can say that there are always areas that I try to fill in with regards to my favorite era, the bronze age.

In particular, I've always heard nothing but very positive feedback about the Shang-Chi MOKF run, but haven't read much of it (as I wasn't as interested in non heroes back then). Now that

the omnibuses have been coming out at a furious pace, I decided to pick up the first three. I finished the first, that was maybe the first 30 or so appearances. I'll say that I was really blown

away by the 1st appearance story (Marvel Special Edition 15), and really do think it is way undervalued for a first appearance. But, upon reading further issues, I can't really say I was all that blown

away with story line so far, there seems to be a lot of the same repeating fluffer themes (mostly uninteresting stooges hired by Dad to take out Shang Chi and the old man).  I'm hoping it gets better, but wouldn't put it up there with say

Tomb Of Dracula."

FWIW, I'm a huge fan of Omnibuses and Archives, and that's mostly what I read and collect now for historical review.  Really can't believe I was snobbish and overlooked them for years (could have had TOD, Eternals, and others for super cheap clearance back then). Pluses -- Clean and they are mostly gorgeous to me, Pristine content often at a huge fraction of cost of originals in nice condition, have access to usually gap free runs, and often cost (and smell less), than finding the original runs. Did I say, smell less, then collecting and storing original readers? Cons - some purists don't like anything deviating from the originals (understandable); others find modern re-coloring to be garish (esp. some EC titles), but I don't really don't find significant loss in most of the stuff I've collected.-- and I prefer clean white pages to acidic brown.  IMO, the pros far outweigh the cons. I've got a lot of runs that accumulate too much space and would trade/unload in a heart-beat for new omnis. And not only that, but a lot of omnibuses can be had for a song right now, as a lot of publishers are unloading at discounts. I really envy those that can get Werewolf by Night and Guardians of the Galaxy for a song right now -- excellent reads, IMO.

Surprised we don't have an archives/omnibus dedicated thread or forum here, but I'm guessing it might be because it doesn't do much to promote CGC and encapsulation. I often have to go to masterworks board to get my fix.

Edited by bronze_rules

Its true Bronze_rules thread got me thinking about MOKF. I been collecting comics for some time now so I have always been aware of MOKF but didn't know much else. I have always been a fan of Gulacy's art regardless of his Steranko-esque style especially early on. Think he came to his own later on. The I have collected, I could do much worse than get the omnibus based on the feedback here. Think I will get the omnibus thought the price is a shocker. I'm a sucker for spiritual/philosophical stuff especially when it comes to martial arts. Probably MOKF isn't that but what the heck, even if it isn't what I thought it would be, it wont be the last silly thing I do...not by a longshot.