• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member with questions about COAs and declared values

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I just became a member of the CGC and started collecting again after a very long hiatus. I was wondering, if i have a signature on a comic book with a C.O.A. in hand, can i still get a yellow label or would it fall under another category if i send it to get graded? I would really appreciate some input back on this. for my second question, when submitting a book, it asks me about the declared value of the book.I'm not sure what they mean by that or where to find it. I definitely need some input on that also.Thanks!

3 hours ago, Drugofchoice said:

Hello everyone. I just became a member of the CGC and started collecting again after a very long hiatus. I was wondering, if i have a signature on a comic book with a C.O.A. in hand, can i still get a yellow label or would it fall under another category if i send it to get graded? I would really appreciate some input back on this. for my second question, when submitting a book, it asks me about the declared value of the book.I'm not sure what they mean by that or where to find it. I definitely need some input on that also.Thanks!

No you have to a certified CGC witness actually witness the comic getting signed and then hand the comic over to the witness. Declared value what is the comic worth in your mind. If the comics value is above a certain amount that you have to submit the comic under a higher tier

Welcome to the boards. There are others out there with better answers than me.

You will not receive an SS yellow label if you were to submit it with the C.O.A. The book must be witnessed by a CGC employee or a facilitator! You can still get the issue graded but it will be noted as having writing on it and come back as a blue label or such. It can count against the grade of the book. Some people will still do this and keep the Certificate with it as proof. If it is for your personal collection, then it's not a big deal at all. Should you try to sell it, you may be disappointed. Again, if it is for your personal collection, then you may just want to send it in and keep the cert with it when you get it back.

The declared value, just put down $200 as most people do. I can be a bit specific and put down the $ value of what it would cost me to replace it in the same grade, usually about $20-$50 for regular and variants. Then I use $200 for rarer copies.

15 hours ago, Robert_L said:

You will not receive an SS yellow label if you were to submit it with the C.O.A. The book must be witnessed by a CGC employee or a facilitator! You can still get the issue graded but it will be noted as having writing on it and come back as a blue label or such. It can count against the grade of the book. Some people will still do this and keep the Certificate with it as proof. If it is for your personal collection, then it's not a big deal at all. Should you try to sell it, you may be disappointed. Again, if it is for your personal collection, then you may just want to send it in and keep the cert with it when you get it back.

The declared value, just put down $200 as most people do. I can be a bit specific and put down the $ value of what it would cost me to replace it in the same grade, usually about $20-$50 for regular and variants. Then I use $200 for rarer copies.

No, by default it will come back in a green, qualified label slab and the signature will be ignored for the purposes of grading.

6 hours ago, mschmidt said:

No, by default it will come back in a green, qualified label slab and the signature will be ignored for the purposes of grading.

See, others out there with better answers than me.

Thanks, MSchmidt!

On 4/6/2017 at 5:25 PM, Robert_L said:

I totally f d up. I was just putting what I paid for it under declared value. How do I know its rare? I looked in the census library and found a couple of comics I have that have a high total number. Does that mean it is rare? 

The declared value thing is messing with me also?  I'm VERY new to grading comic books but I have a few I want slabbed.  I think they  are worth a little (maybe around $800) but they may be worth less...I don't know.  I'd hate to rack up a bill for $1000 for grading a handful of comics that are actually worth $200 a piece.