• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Memory of Bernie Wrightson on Walking Dead

9 posts in this topic

I think it was great of the Walking Dead to commemorate the passing of Wrightson.  Guys like Wrightson don't come around often, and losing such a giant is truly a noteworthy loss.  I doubt Darabont had anything to do with it though as he is no longer attached to the show and is in fact in an adversarial position in regards to TWD.

On a somewhat unrelated note, after years of making Walking Dead appointment TV, I've given up on it this year.  It's become pretty terrible IMHO, having run out of gas and ideas and just poorly executed.  I've heard the ratings are still very high, but all shows peter out at some point and I wonder if they'll just keep producing it if the numbers stay high, or try and go out with some grace before ratings start to reflect the product.

Scott

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

On a somewhat unrelated note, after years of making Walking Dead appointment TV, I've given up on it this year.  It's become pretty terrible IMHO, having run out of gas and ideas and just poorly executed.  I've heard the ratings are still very high, but all shows peter out at some point and I wonder if they'll just keep producing it if the numbers stay high, or try and go out with some grace before ratings start to reflect the product.

Scott

I watched the show from the beginning, but have not watched an episode since the season 7 (the current one) opener.  That episode left me sufficiently disgusted to demote the series from "must-see TV" to "maybe I'll binge it at some point".  

The ratings are still pretty high, though, they have declined the past two seasons.  I just read that the season 7 finale got the lowest ratings since the season 2 one (and down double-digits since the season 5 finale).  Still impressive relative to TV in general, yes, but it's clear that the show reached an inflection point in terms of creativity and popularity a couple of seasons ago at least.

Edited by delekkerste

I never saw much of anything in TWD, I never 'saw' what people in masses (going by the numbers) see. I was over zombies before I got out of my teens, and I struggled to get through the first season. I was always much more of a fan to Kirkman's red-headed stepchild Invincible... which may not be a red-headed stepchild much longer if today's news is any indicator (and it probably isn't).

Anyway, in an effort not to totally derail the thread, I just wanted to say that I give huge props to whomever from TWD decided to mention Berni - he was one of the dominant figures in a genre, and he did great work all the way to the end. I hope to one day snag the right page from his FAA series.

14 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I watched the show from the beginning, but have not watched an episode since the season 7 (the current one) opener.  That episode left me sufficiently disgusted to demote the series from "must-see TV" to "maybe I'll binge it at some point".  

The ratings are still pretty high, though, they have declined the past two seasons.  I just read that the season 7 finale got the lowest ratings since the season 2 one (and down double-digits since the season 5 finale).  Still impressive relative to TV in general, yes, but it's clear that the show reached an inflection point in terms of creativity and popularity a couple of seasons ago at least.

Apart from the opening episode, which had some obvious interest, Series 7 has been really poor.

The long-anticipated big battle in the finale episode was like a bunch of cosplayers running around.