• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many look at grades online vs SURPRISE!

17 posts in this topic

How many look at grades online vs SURPRISE!

I am curious as to what most of you do when awaiting books to return from CGC. Do you look at the grades online prior to receiving them or enjoy being surprised when you open the box from CGC? I've only looked at the grades online one time (granted I only have three submissions under my own account under my belt) and it was when I knew it would be a lower mid-grade return on a $500 book. I currently have 26 moderns in FL and have no interest in seeing the grades prior to their arrival. @Columbia Comics can tell you how excited I got when I saw my Hulk 181 for the first time after having it pressed and slabbed! I bought it as a raw 6.0 and it came back a 7.5 White. I can't imagine the excitement level anywhere near that if he had just told me via text or I read it online.

CGC just shipped 26 silver age comics back to me. They should arrive in the next few days. While I'm very tempted to look at the grades online, I am going to wait until the boxes get here so it can be like Christmas when they arrive. Hopefully it will be the good type of surprise and not the purple label type of surprise.

Hard to say which is best.  I guess it's the first thing I look at just because I believe in "delegate, delegate, delegate"..."follow up, follow up, follow up"...and then I move onto the Registry and then the forums.  I guess it's the OCD in me but I have fun with it!

I look every few hours once I know it's about to ship.  Can't wait to see what I got but then again I was the kid who snooped around the house so I knew what I was getting for Christmas.

Edited by 1Cool

i never look on line ,, and in fact to increase my pleasure i only look at one or two books a day when i recieve my submission back ,.. i take the book out and cover the grade, look at it ,..place it down and think about while i go to work or wherever and come home and look at it again and guess the grade !! draws out the pleasure and makes a 15 comic submission last a couple weeks , ...i can't even imagine waiting all that time and then ruining the excitement with an impatient 15 second glance of the grades on line

16 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i never look on line ,, and in fact to increase my pleasure i only look at one or two books a day when i recieve my submission back ,.. i take the book out and cover the grade, look at it ,..place it down and think about while i go to work or wherever and come home and look at it again and guess the grade !! draws out the pleasure and makes a 15 comic submission last a couple weeks , ...i can't even imagine waiting all that time and then ruining the excitement with an impatient 15 second glance of the grades on line

I wouldn't wait to long between looking at the returned submission what if it got SCS or damaged? or do you check that first before hiding your grades kind of thing.?

when submitting through a dealer usually wait till I get the box back and surprise. 

When submitting myself I peaked at the grades online. 

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

I wouldn't wait to long between looking at the returned submission what if it got SCS or damaged? or do you check that first before hiding your grades kind of thing.?

7.0 is the highest i have ever submitted , i'm mostly a GA guy , don't ever have to worry much about SCS.. and if it ever happened a couple weeks won't make any difference...

In the days before grades were posted and available online, it was fun to take slabs out of the box one by one and compare the assigned numerical and page quality grades with the ones I predicted before submission.

Now, I scroll down the page with the grades so that they are revealed one by one, and I can compare them to my predictions and do either the "okay", the "fist-pump", or the "wha-wha".  lol