• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 1 : Take 2

182 posts in this topic

Nikos, everyone understands that there is no cut. It's your contest and you set the rules.

That being said, once the contest gets going, and players start to fall behind, their interest will wain. Especially once their point total falls far enough behind that they can no longer compete.

The field of players is quite large and it becomes cumbersome to deal with. If you have the spread between the top player and bottom player is a 30 point difference, there really isn't much chance for the bottom player to catch up.

Nikos, everyone understands that there is no cut. It's your contest and you set the rules.

That being said, once the contest gets going, and players start to fall behind, their interest will wain. Especially once their point total falls far enough behind that they can no longer compete.

The field of players is quite large and it becomes cumbersome to deal with. If you have the spread between the top player and bottom player is a 30 point difference, there really isn't much chance for the bottom player to catch up.

Then let players self select out of the contest. Any one not submitting 2 (or 3)consecutive grade guesses will be taken out of the context by the powers that be (Nikos and Greggy) or simply they can ask to be let go / left out.

The cut is a stoopid idea - just let everyone play makepoint.gif

Agreed...just let everyone play to the end. With more practice, they very well could be the next grading contest champ...

Jim

I understand what you are saying, as we get deeper in the rounds, people that have no shot will probably get discouraged from playing(I personally hope not). If they wish to drop out, thats fine, just please let me know. In the meantime I will still answer every PM that comes my way about every round, and I know greggy will also.

I dont mind answering 70+ PMS with questions, and I try to respond as soon as I can.

I leave it up to the individual players. They are welcomed to play till the end, no matter how many points behind they are.

I understand what you are saying, as we get deeper in the rounds, people that have no shot will probably get discouraged from playing(I personally hope not). If they wish to drop out, thats fine, just please let me know. In the meantime I will still answer every PM that comes my way about every round, and I know greggy will also.

I dont mind answering 70+ PMS with questions, and I try to respond as soon as I can.

I leave it up to the individual players. They are welcomed to play till the end, no matter how many points behind they are.

WIN OR LOSE, I AM IN TILL THE END.

LET'S JUST HAVE SOME FUN.

Rick...nice job as usual on the chart.....here's a suggestion for color coding the score levels, just for faster parsing of what's what. Real simple change, I think.

contestscoresb.jpg

How about a numerical ranking to left of everyones names instead of colours...?

Unless we have negative points for really bad guesses... insane.gif

Agreed. I do think however that interest may not wane because people will want to hone their grading skills. Even if the contest is out of reach, personal achievement is a valid secondary objective.

(Just read nikos statement and ironically basically said the same thing)

Speaking of honing grading skills. What I'd like to see is a run down of the faults that derived the given grade. I know were not CGC, but we should be able to derive what faults they saw to come to a given grade. That way I could learn how to knock off for certain defects. Somebody could also post the graders notes that were left on the comic we just graded. Just a thought. I was trying to decide what faults there were to Round 1 that gave the comic a 9.0 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Speaking of honing grading skills. What I'd like to see is a run down of the faults that derived the given grade. I know were not CGC, but we should be able to derive what faults they saw to come to a given grade. That way I could learn how to knock off for certain defects. Somebody could also post the graders notes that were left on the comic we just graded. Just a thought. I was trying to decide what faults there were to Round 1 that gave the comic a 9.0 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Nef,

I suppose there's no harm in discussing a book that's gone by. The scans are down now, but if I recall correctly, the book's only glaring defect was the small corner crease at the LRFC, about 1/16", perhaps 3/32". It was large enough to keep it out of a 9.4, as only small bindery defects, blunting, and VL spine stressing is allowed in that grade. The scuff markings along the left edge of the spine above the moon were on the CGC case and not on the book itself. So the only two grades to choose were 9.0 or 9.2 depending on the subjective evaluation of the degree of that one corner crease.

The 9.4 voters clearly underestimated the crease as blunting. The 9.0 voters were right on, and the 9.2's were very close (only .2 off). The 8.5 voters were probably the result of people misreading (or not asking about) the scuff marks, and/or not being familiar with the "graininess" of this particular issue, which in and of itself, makes it a very difficult issue for the novice grader. It was a sly pick by Nikos and Greggy to lead off the contest wink.gif

Nef,

I suppose there's no harm in discussing a book that's gone by. The scans are down now, but if I recall correctly, the book's only glaring defect was the small corner crease at the LRFC, about 1/16", perhaps 3/32". It was large enough to keep it out of a 9.4, as only small bindery defects, blunting, and VL spine stressing is allowed in that grade. The scuff markings along the left edge of the spine above the moon were on the CGC case and not on the book itself. So the only two grades to choose were 9.0 or 9.2 depending on the subjective evaluation of the degree of that one corner crease.

The 9.4 voters clearly underestimated the crease as blunting. The 9.0 voters were right on, and the 9.2's were very close (only .2 off). The 8.5 voters were probably the result of people misreading (or not asking about) the scuff marks, and/or not being familiar with the "graininess" of this particular issue, which in and of itself, makes it a very difficult issue for the novice grader. It was a sly pick by Nikos and Greggy to lead off the contest wink.gif

Actually the LRFC broke colour and that very definition in the 'grading guide' would keep it out of 9.0 grade. And that's what confused me because this book looked like a 9.0 to me at first glance.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually the LRFC broke colour and that very definition in the 'grading guide' would keep it out of 9.0 grade. And that's what confused me because this book looked like a 9.0 to me at first glance.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ahh, but that's why it is called a grading guide. As I've come to learn not all is set in stone in cases like this, if the book in question has enough (+) qualities going for it ie. nice cover gloss, OW/W pages, it can rise above the OGG given grade.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ahh, but that's why it is called a grading guide. As I've come to learn not all is set in stone in cases like this, if the book in question has enough (+) qualities going for it ie. nice cover gloss, OW/W pages, it can rise above the OGG given grade.

True enough.