• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batgirl 41 Canceled Joker Cover Exists!

38 posts in this topic

Batgirl 41 Canceled Joker Cover Exists!

Came across this youtube video of a guy with a legit copy of Batgirl 41 featuring the canceled Joker cover.  Could fetch more than the MJ Venom variant in 9.8 of one were to ever come up for sale.  

As much as I want to believe in this I'm going to have to call B.S..  According to the guy in his comments section, the book was published but never shipped by diamond and he got a copy from a "friend" at a convention.  

But the book was going to be published in June of 2015.  According to this article, from March, 2015, the cover was canceled long before it was ever officially published (just a few days after the preview for the image was released in fact) and certainly long before any retailer FOC  (final order cut-off) of the book had it been allowed to ever go to print.  

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbr.com/dc-comics-cancels-batgirl-joker-variant-cover-at-artists-request/amp/

My suspicion is that it is a very nice fake.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Until I see more copies pop into existence I'm going to have to agree with jaydog on this. 

Am I the only one curious to know whether or not that dude's safe is climate controlled?

That is an excellent fake if it is indeed a fake. Of course, hard to tell without holding it in hand, but in the video he takes it out of the bag and board, shows front and back cover, and flips it open as well. That immediately raises it above the efforts of most scams.

Still, extraordinary claims require a lot of proof, so I'd also say fake until more info comes out.

After having looked at this video on a large screen television, and doing a bit more research, I must confirm that this book is fake.  The dude in the video might believe it's real, but it is not.  Here's why (in addition to the other reasons I mentioned above):

1)  The "Batgirl" logo is wrong.  If you compare it to every other issue from the run, it's pretty easy to tell that the logo is bootlegged.  The font is off, plus it's missing both the "bat" insignia behind the lettering and the "TM" at the bottom right hand corner of it.  Duh!

2)  The cover stock is wrong.  It's too thick and the sheen is wrong.  You can really tell when he pulls it out of the bag and holds it close to the camera at 18:13.  The cover almost looks matte.

3)  No creator information at all on the cover.

The more I look at it, the more fake it looks.  doh! Oh well...

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Agreed.... when I first saw it, I noticed that the cover is "too clean". No artist or writer name (DC always put those on the front cover) and the font and logo is a bit off. I think it's a bootleg or a fake cover. 

Too bad, I think the guy wasn't aware of it. I don't he's trying to deceived anybody, I think he's just trying to share his joy for his haul.2c:whatev:

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

After having looked at this video on a large screen television, and doing a bit more research, I must confirm that this book is fake.  The dude in the video might believe it's real, but it is not.  Here's why (in addition to the other reasons I mentioned above):

1)  The "Batgirl" logo is wrong.  If you compare it to every other issue from the run, it's pretty easy to tell that the logo is bootlegged.  The font is off, plus it's missing both the "bat" log behind the lettering and the "TM" at the bottom right hand corner of it.  Duh!

2)  The cover stock is wrong.  It's too thick and the sheen is wrong.  You can really tell when he pulls it out of the bag and holds it close to the camera at 18:13.  The cover almost looks matte.

3)  No creator information at all on the cover.

The more I look at it, the more fake it looks.  doh! Oh well...

-J.

I noticed the logo and information myself (even on my computer monitor) - I'm not sure what it means if anything, but if this were real I think we'd have heard something long before now 2c

There's just too much evidence against this being real. It would be cool if some copies did somehow make it out into the wild but the chances of that happening are highly unlikely. He said it was a prime candidate to send in to get graded. If he does, it will either come back as a NG or a counter fit because of the cover. I'm curious to see whether he still does or not send the book in for grading if he doesn't stumble upon this thread or if someone hasn't already contacted him about the book. 

33 minutes ago, Kyle R. said:

Would have been nice to see an image in the originally posted video of the centerfold / staples, typically you can easily tell when a cover was mated to a book unless it was done by a professional.

1 hour ago, deadleg said:

There's just too much evidence against this being real. It would be cool if some copies did somehow make it out into the wild but the chances of that happening are highly unlikely. He said it was a prime candidate to send in to get graded. If he does, it will either come back as a NG or a counter fit because of the cover. I'm curious to see whether he still does or not send the book in for grading if he doesn't stumble upon this thread or if someone hasn't already contacted him about the book. 

If he sends that to CGC I don't even think they would slab it.

-J.

35 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Why not? I'm just curious to your reasoning behind it. I've seen counterfeit TMNT #1s slabbed and I've seen Sig Series books with custom blanks attached that have been slabbed.

1 hour ago, deadleg said:

Why not? I'm just curious to your reasoning behind it. I've seen counterfeit TMNT #1s slabbed and I've seen Sig Series books with custom blanks attached that have been slabbed.

For the same reason they won't slab a blank walking dead 100 hero initiative book.  If this book was real it would have had to have been stolen and smuggled out to have made it to the market.  As it is now, it is a fake copy of a book that never existed.   If it was a vintage book, like an AF 15 with a repro cover, CGC would slab it, note it as such and give it an "NG".  I've never seen a modern receive the same treatment, let alone a modern that is essentially just a fan-made conversation piece.  

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

If the interior is authentic, how is it any different than a restored copy?

I'd vote for slabbing it as "Provisional, Restored" with a note that the cover has been replaced.

14 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They also slab Cry for Dawn 1 counterfeit. How about Cerebus 1?

They don't slab the Hero blank because they were asked not to or chose not to because they are stolen. Don't remember off the top of my head.

They do slab fake cerebus 1.  But like the other books you mention those are fakes of real books.  

This thing is basically just a fan produced novelty item. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

12 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

They do slab fake cerebus 1.  But like the other books you mention those are fakes of real books.  

-J.

My thing is -- there's a real book under there.

If you ripped the fake cover off, they'd slab the book as coverless. If you drew on the original cover, you'd get a green label.

I'm not sure how this is different. As long as it isn't blue label, where's the harm in slabbing/grading a customization if a sketch cover is basically the same thing?

In particular, aren't some artists now detaching sketch covers and doing prints on them before reattaching to create a run of "exclusive variants"? I thought Aspen was doing that to produce Mike Turner variants.

38 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

lol, the difference being?