• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batgirl 41 Canceled Joker Cover Exists!

38 posts in this topic

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

The fact that this is a reproduction of a cover that was never printed wrapped around a worthless modern. lol  

-J.

The cover was never put into production (as far as we know) but everything else is the same. Reproduction (and detection) has just become easier than it used to be.

The only thing I could think of that would prevent them from slabbing this (with an appropriate label) is if they were afraid of annoying DC... which I see as a slim to none sort of chance, even considering the cover was canceled due to what was likely a loud minority.

The real question is what the label may say. Would it suggest it was counterfeit, restored, both? I don't think they'd note it as a married cover if the cover used is different from the one the book was published with, but I'm somewhat guessing there.

9A3ED704-8195-4B0F-A1E0-29C9B8E73465-2449-0000019D18FF13E3.png

IMG_3317.JPG

Just posting this as an example that the book might receive a "NG" because the cover was added after manufacturing. Of course it would only get the "NG" designation if the rest of the book was found to not be a counterfeit.

Edited by deadleg

22 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The cover was never put into production (as far as we know) but everything else is the same. Reproduction (and detection) has just become easier than it used to be.

DC went on the record saying the cover was canceled just a few days after the preview image was released.  Whatever this guy has did not come from DC.  I can't tell what the guts of the book are to, but someone might as well have wrapped a Bounty paper towel with a coffee stain on it around it and it would be the same difference.  Would CGC slab a coverless modern with a coffee stained Bounty paper towel stapled to it as a cover?  Who knows.  Maybe?  What would the label say?  Who knows.  Either way, whether they slabbed this with this cover or a Bounty paper towel with a coffee stain stapled to it, that person would be slabbing a worthless book for no reason (other than perhaps satisfying an intellectual curiosity). 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

7 minutes ago, deadleg said:

9A3ED704-8195-4B0F-A1E0-29C9B8E73465-2449-0000019D18FF13E3.png

IMG_3317.JPG

Just posting this as an example that the book might receive a "NG" because the cover was added after manufacturing. Of course it would only get the "NG" designation if the rest of the book was found to not be a counterfeit.

This is an interesting example, but this fake cover that was added after manufacturing is also a CGC witnessed sketch and sig, so I would have to imagine that would make a BIG difference in CGC's decision to slab.

Cool book by the way. 

-J.

48 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

DC went on the record saying the cover was canceled just a few days after the preview image was released.  Whatever this guy has did not come from DC.  I can't tell what the guts of the book are to, but someone might as well have wrapped a Bounty paper towel with a coffee stain on it around it and it would be the same difference.  Would CGC slab a coverless modern with a coffee stained Bounty paper towel stapled to it as a cover?  Who knows.  Maybe?  What would the label say?  Who knows.  Either way, whether they slabbed this with this cover or a Bounty paper towel with a coffee stain stapled to it, that person would be slabbing a worthless book for no reason (other than perhaps satisfying an intellectual curiosity). 

-J.

A Cerebus or Cry for Dawn is a Bounty paper towel as well.

A few years ago, the TV series Fringe commissioned DC to make distorted covers to classic comics. There was a Red Lantern/Red Arrow comic, a JLI with Jonah Hex as a member, a Frank Miller Man of Steel Returns and a Dan Jurgens Death of Batman. My favorite was a distorted Crisis #7 where Supergirl mourns a dead Superman.

DC released the covers in high rez for fans. They also later signed off on the Fringe comic (which wasn't published by DC) doing rare variants that had the fake covers partially displayed on them.

I would really like to get a Crisis 7 with appropriate ads on the back and inside with the alternate cover. For that matter, I'd consider opting to restore some old Jack Kirby books with his rejected cover art in place of the published version.

I don't know about CGC's take on this but I think it's a fun thing if it's appropriate to the book in some way. And I agreed with DC scrapping this cover at the time and still think the customization to restore it to an alternate form is cool.

14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

The fact that this is a reproduction of a cover that was never printed wrapped around a worthless modern. lol  

-J.

Are the cover repros to Batgirl #41 (no modern inside) actually selling for 25 Sterling or $57 ? ???

15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

CGC would slab this with a NG label - it's no different than when they slab a book with a home-made cover (like the ones people sometimes use for sketches).

31 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

CGC would slab this with a NG label - it's no different than when they slab a book with a home-made cover (like the ones people sometimes use for sketches).

:foryou:

FYI guys, book is confirmed fake.  The UPC symbol is wrong on the book.  Whomever created this book just lifted the UPC code from the regular cover of Batgirl 41.  Even with the other obvious problems with it, this seals it.  Don't know why I didn't think to just check that right out of the gate.  (A little trick I learned from the boardie HarveySwick).

Case closed.

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

FYI guys, book is confirmed fake.  The UPC symbol is wrong on the book.  Whomever created this book just lifted the UPC code from the regular cover of Batgirl 41.  Even with the other obvious problems with it, this seals it.  Don't know why I didn't think to just check that right out of the gate.  (A little trick I learned from the boardie HarveySwick).

Case closed.

-J.

HarveySwick? That guy's a :jaws: jumping hack! 

:devil: