• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do tiny, tiny tears/cuts affect the overall grade?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys...I've got a few bronze books that are really nice...beautiful glossy copies that present in the VF/NM to NM range...BUT...they both have one or two VERY tiny tears (or cuts) on the back cover...there is so little wear on the comics that I almost think they may be production-related even though they are not on the spine. In both cases, the cuts/tears are more like "nicks" since they are only about 1/16 to 1/32 of an inch deep and are almost invisible. My question is...if a book is otherwise a 9.0 up to a 9.4, how much do I "downgrade" them as a result of these tiny nicks/tears/cuts? I've also got several other really nice books with slightly larger (but still really small) tears in the 1/8 to 1/4 inch range....how much of a downgrade for those? I don't post much but read every day and respect all the knowledge and experience here. I would really appreciate as many opinions as possible...thanks!

Hi guys...I've got a few bronze books that are really nice...beautiful glossy copies that present in the VF/NM to NM range...BUT...they both have one or two VERY tiny tears (or cuts) on the back cover...there is so little wear on the comics that I almost think they may be production-related even though they are not on the spine. In both cases, the cuts/tears are more like "nicks" since they are only about 1/16 to 1/32 of an inch deep and are almost invisible. My question is...if a book is otherwise a 9.0 up to a 9.4, how much do I "downgrade" them as a result of these tiny nicks/tears/cuts? I've also got several other really nice books with slightly larger (but still really small) tears in the 1/8 to 1/4 inch range....how much of a downgrade for those? I don't post much but read every day and respect all the knowledge and experience here. I would really appreciate as many opinions as possible...thanks!

If there is only 1-2 of them and they are tiny and on the back cover and if there's no creasing associated with them, then they probably won't affect the grade from 9.4 to 9.0 unless the book is at the low end of each grading level and the tears are just enough to push it over the edge.

There is a common production defect similar to what you're describing, and among key Bronze Age books I've seen it on Spidey 121's and 122's as well as GS X-men #1's ( click here for an example that got a 9.4). In the 9.0 to 9.4 range the smaller bindery tears/nicks shouldn't count much, but at the 1/8" to 1/4" range there would probably be a deduction.

There is a common production defect similar to what you're describing, and among key Bronze Age books I've seen it on Spidey 121's and 122's as well as GS X-men #1's ( click here for an example that got a 9.4). In the 9.0 to 9.4 range the smaller bindery tears/nicks shouldn't count much, but at the 1/8" to 1/4" range there would probably be a deduction.

Ditto. I stopped reading after the 1/16 to 1/32 part. That first question was the one I was answering. I agree with Dr. B. here that you may get a deduction when the tear gets to 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

Thanks guys...please keep the opinions coming!

drbanner...that is good to know. But, I clicked on your link and zoomed in on the book but couldn't find where the nicks/cuts were. If they are like mine, they are so small and smooth, you probably can't see them in a scan ...but how did you know about them...is that your book?

Thanks guys...please keep the opinions coming!

drbanner...that is good to know. But, I clicked on your link and zoomed in on the book but couldn't find where the nicks/cuts were. If they are like mine, they are so small and smooth, you probably can't see them in a scan ...but how did you know about them...is that your book?

Look at the bottom of the front cover...not my book, but I did have a 9.4 with the exact defect you describe and have seen it on this book several times (and other Marvel GS books too).