• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about grading

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering what really brings down the score and how to grade the book. Am I being too crazy when I look at them under a lamp and tilt the book to look for creases? I almost always find something like this be it dirt or creases taht dont break color. Is this a good way to grade? Do these small creases that dont break any color really knock it down far? Please LMK if I am on the right track or not.

Well thank everyone for the replies. I thought I was being a little to crazy when grading since there were so many dissapointments... But when you do find those NM/Mint books that are truly their grade it feels quite good slipping them into a bag and board smile.gif Got a nother question though, some books I have been grading lately, I notice on the front or back covers there seems to be something that looks like dirt? Not the discoloring kind on whiter books, this actually looks more like even scuff marks. Any idea how far down this brings a book if the rest in perfect? Lets say some on the front and back not noticeable unless looked at under proper lighting. Sorry about no pics still shopping on a dig camera and having a hard time deciding on one. LMK and thanks all!!!

Well thank everyone for the replies. I thought I was being a little to crazy when grading since there were so many dissapointments... But when you do find those NM/Mint books that are truly their grade it feels quite good slipping them into a bag and board smile.gif Got a nother question though, some books I have been grading lately, I notice on the front or back covers there seems to be something that looks like dirt? Not the discoloring kind on whiter books, this actually looks more like even scuff marks. Any idea how far down this brings a book if the rest in perfect? Lets say some on the front and back not noticeable unless looked at under proper lighting. Sorry about no pics still shopping on a dig camera and having a hard time deciding on one. LMK and thanks all!!!

My honest opinion is a little bit of this dirt/scuff is ignored as I've seen a few 9.4 books with it and alot of 9.2 books with it so the answer is probably not more then a grade at tops if at all. It all depends on how much dirt/scuff you have on the book. You get a "feel" for the acceptable amount when you start buying alot of cgc books. thumbsup2.gif

Also what about spine stress marks, how far do they knock a book down? Once again only noticeable under proper lighting. Also what about corner bends that are actually corner bends on every page of the comic book? LMK and thanks guys.

Best thing to do is read the entire Overstreet Grading Guide...local books store...ebay ....amazon.com....they should all have a copy...there are just too many variables to describe until YOU have an idea of how it works....basically it's the NUMBER, the SEVERITY and HOW MANY flaws are accumulated that knock a book down. There are also production flaws to consider...1 teeny spine stress on a perfect book may knock it to a 9.6/9.8....a dozen teeny stresses may knock it down to the VF- range...The grading guide has multiple pictures of every grade to help you understand this...Hope this helps.

let there be light? I had no idea what i was saying in this post when I first responded, so I edited it to make even LESS sense!

--Proving that the impossible is ridiculous

foreheadslap.gif

818494-Groupbabie.jpg.6a801caa86bcad28a208609bdd619bd8.jpg